Craig & Donna’s ’84 U-Haul 13’ Renovation - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Craig: sent you a PM. We are taking our Uhaul south end of this month for a few weeks, probably run I-78 & I-81 in PA, unless we do the bay bridge/tunnel route to Norfolk, VA. Depends on the weather. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #22

Trailer: U-Haul
Yes, avoid I-95 at all costs!!!
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Craig, I removed the front bunk in mine (I notice that yours is also gone) and I also removed that large fiberglass 'bump out' under the window. The hinge for the bumk was attached to it, and the bunk folded down against it . By removing the bump out, you will have a nice vertical wall under the window instead of the ledge. It was just a matter of removing the screws and 'muscling' it off the wall. I also had to loosen up the trim ring around the window and pull it out from underneath. There is an unfinished section of fiberglass that will be exposed (just like the area on the ceiling). I just cover mine up with decorative pillows. I love the extra room !!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:53 AM   #24

Trailer: U-Haul
Pam,

I have been looking at that bump-out and contemplating whether I wanted to remove it. My only concern is about the stiffness of the wall under the window and how much stiffness that bump-out is contributing.

If you push on the window and below the window from the outside, is that wall still rigid?

We keep the bed made up, never use the dinette so we are counting on using the front bench so that might be a very good mod for us.

Thanks for sharing that.

Craig T.
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #25

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
heat pump/air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat B Ohio View Post
Hey Marty, what brand is that heat pump/AC? The ones I found have been too wide for the narrow U-Haul closet......
Hi Pat,

Sorry to be a day late getting this to you. Had a main drain back up at home that I had to take care of.

The heat pump/air conditioner is an "Edge Star" It's been in the CT for about 2 years now, and has worked great for us. It might take a few days, but I can get some pics for you if you want.

Marty D
Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13
North Carolina
Yup. Dirt daubers.

Hi Floyd.
You were right. I was just outside looking at the furnace in my U-haul. I shined a flashlight up into the exhaust vent and, sure enough, a big dirt daubers nest in the center pipe! It doesn't seem to be completely clogged, but it sure looks ugly. Well, I guess I will find the repair manual on here and try to clean the thing out. Thanks again Floyd, and everyone else for all the info.
Mike in NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul