BigFoot AC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2020, 07:32 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
BigFoot AC

I didn't order my BigFoot with AC. I didn't want a Dometic Penguin 11,000 BTU and noisy for $1,000. Well my AC unit arrived by truck from Camping World. Fortunately the truck had a hydraulic tailgate so it was a snap getting it into my truck.

One of the problems when ordering these things is damage during shipping. The box didn't look bad but it didn't look great either. We opened it up and the plastic cowl was opened on one side but I could see all of the clips were OK so I accepted the shipment.

I pulled the cowl off, reset the clips, and added a couple of washers where a screw head had pulled through the plastic. While the cowl was off I added a few strips of Gorilla tape to secure a floppy piece of sealing tape that was on the evaporator housing. It reminded me of my days at a rental yard. I had to rebuild most everything before it was fit for use.

It looks like a nice unit but it is just the cowling seems like an engineering after thought. Hmm, my OCD is showing.

We will see how smart I am when I am trying to get this thing to the roof of the RV by myself.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20200528_17_45_09_Rich.jpg  
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:55 PM   #2

Massachusetts
Step one

I setup two sections of staging along side the BigFoot. I used my 32 foot extension ladder with a couple of 2 X 12 for walk boards.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20200602_16_17_06_Rich.jpg  
Old 06-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #3

Massachusetts
Step two

I pulled the vent and scraped off all of the Dicor. It was taking to long so I tried out my new Dewalt multi-tool. It did a great job and didn't scratch anything. Speaking of scratches the vent was held on by grey butyl and then a layer of Dicor. There were a bunch of screws holding it down. The screws were rammed in chipping and cracking that nice fiberglass.

The square cutout looked like it was done by a rabid beaver. I took my multi-tool and installed a saw and cleaned up the opening. Then I used a sanding attachment to flatten all of the screw holes and caulked them.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20200602_13_40_21_Rich.jpg  
Old 06-02-2020, 06:27 PM   #4

Massachusetts
Step Three

I strapped the AC to the cardboard base and removed the pallet. Then I backed my truck to one end of the staging and slid one of the ladders into the bed. It was on about a 30 degree angle. Then I slid the AC about half way up the ladder and strapped it down.

I lifted and pushed the ladder back into place and got a piece of plywood for the final move. The plywood made a ramp from the staging to the BigFoot. I had a carpet to prevent scratches and help it slide. One last lift and push and it was on the roof. Only one photo because I needed to beat the dark and the rain.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20200602_16_05_53_Rich.jpg  
Old 06-02-2020, 06:44 PM   #5

Massachusetts
Step Four

Slide the AC along side the opening and slide it most of the way off of the card board and position it over the hole. Then go around to the other side and pull the card board out.

Final positioning was done from inside the camper because you are not supposed to slide that rubber gasket around. I then threw in 4 bolts with some Aluminum angle stock to pull it down so there will be no leaks in the rain tonight. The interior piece is coming Friday.

I think I will mix myself a drink now. Homemade Blackberry liquor and club soda.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20200602_18_37_58_Rich.jpg  
Old 06-18-2020, 05:58 PM   #6

Massachusetts
Finished

I finished the inside, flipped the breaker on, and got nothing. No power! I finally found an electrical box in the outside refrigerator compartment. The BigFoot owner's manual is worse than useless.

The AC will freeze you out on low cool. I got out my DB meter "yes I'm the type of person that has a DB meter" to see how noisy the unit is. It is about 60db within two or three feet. It is about 54db from the dinette seat and 50db at the head of the bed. This was on low cool.

I tried a phone app and it was about 7 or 8db higher. I paid $960 for 15,000 quiet BTUs rather than $1,000 for a noisy 11,000 BTU unit. This unit also is a heat pump so I have that besides. Well that is done solar next.

Oh yeah it is about the same as a fantastic fan on low "noise wise"
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20200618_13_35_57_Rich.jpg  
Old 06-25-2020, 10:55 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Nice work Tom! Great explanations and photos for anyone else interested in the same project.

Julie
Julie T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot