HI Im new and just bought a 88 Casita 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #1

Name: Angela :)
Trailer: 1988 Casita 13' Deluxe
West Virginia and Texas
HI Im new and just bought a 88 Casita 13'

Hello

I am excited to be a new owner of a 1988 Casita Deluxe 13'. It needs TLC and Im trying not to be discouraged. I am new to Casitas but been a long time Rver, full time for over 12 years but now have a stick house and some land.

So currently I know the floor needs replacing, its not terrible and it is road worthy but needs to be done eventually. So far I was told everything works but I have not checked yet. soon.

The finish is my biggest current concern, I think its dull and looks painted. When I touch the surface it feels like orange peel. So I am really trying not to be totally bummed out about what it would take to ever get it shiny again and does that even really matter in the end? Im getting under to look at frame today.
High Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
For very old and very weathered gelcoat, people seem to be getting the best results with Zep high gloss floor wax. Depending on climate and storage people are getting 1-2 years between applications, possibly more if you have indoor storage.

There are numerous old threads on the prep, application, and removal process. be sure to use the "site search/google" option at the bottom of the search menu for best results.

Before applying the first time you have to get the trailer really clean and remove all the chalky oxidized gelcoat. I would wash with Dawn soap, then Barkeepers Friend to remove the oxidation, then a final wash with clean water. When dry, wipe on multiple thin coats of the floor wax with a white cloth. For re-application, you will need to use the Zep stripper.

The first time might be a long day's work on a small trailer, but reapplication is easier.

Good call on the frame. Frame failures are common on older Casitas, and typically happen under the front of the cabin where the frame transitions to the tongue. Wouldn't hurt to have a professional welder have a look.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:35 PM   #3

West Virginia and Texas
My husband is convinced its been painted with a roller? I have to determine what has been done to it
Old 10-08-2021, 07:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
If it was painted with a roller it's probably a latex or lacquer paint.
Rubbing it with gas line antifreeze, methyl hidrate will remore latex.
Rubbing it with acetone will remove lacquer.
Gelcoat or good quality 2 part paint won't be affected.
Fred
Old 10-11-2021, 04:11 PM   #5

West Virginia and Texas
Hello, I have determined it was painted. I am a little bummed about it.

Tags
casita