Oozing Window Seal: Just ugly, or real problem? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2016, 10:58 PM   #1

Name: Robbin
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Oozing Window Seal: Just ugly, or real problem?

Has anyone had their window seal ooze in from the edges like this? Is it a problem to worry about, or just unattractive? Is the only way to fix it to replace the window? If so, any idea on cost to replace the over-sink and exit windows on a 21 Bigfoot?
Attached Thumbnails
20160108_112910.jpg  
robbiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Robbin, this is normal. Take a plastic knife, run it around the frame and cut it off. I have to say though, normally we see it on the exterior rather than the interior.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:08 AM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Did this happen in high temperature? It seems like quite a lot of stuff oozing out. And, yes, I agree, just clean it up, go on and see what happens.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I'll take a guess here that the glass was replaced by a glass shop that put too much sealer in the frame and the excess is coming out. As many windows as the factory makes, it's doubtful, but still possible,that the factory did this. I believe Sunview industries in BC made your window and you could send them a email and photo to get their take on the situation. If it was my trailer, I would clean up the mess and go camping. I don't think it is a concern,
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #5

Name: kevin
Trailer: Miti-Lite
Washington
This has happened to most the windows in my '97 Safari Trek. I've seen it a few coaches. I've never seen it in a trailer window yet. I'm guessing it's an SE-GI window and I don't see why their windows would not have made it into a trailer or two's product line. The inner seal between the two panes of glass heat up and start sliding away from edge, sometimes leaving behind a thin black layer of sealant behind it (theory's for why this happens is best discussed around a campfire). It's a manufacture design flaw. I don't know of anyone who ever was able to claim a warranty on one as it starts sliding usually a number of years after purchase. I have not fixed mine yet and it's fine. It is a balance of how much money you have and how much it bothers you. You can have the window rebuilt at some shops but a lot of times it ends up being cheaper to just replace the window. Some times you can get somewhere with the numbers etched into the lower corner of the glass. Other times you can remove the inner clamp ring and find a sticker on inside of frame with part numbers on it. Worst case take a measurement of the window opening from inside with the clamp ring removed and find a new window that you like that will fit. Warning: once you remove the inner clamp ring depending on how and with what the window is installed with the window can possibly fall off without a lot of force. So best to have someone hold window with light pressure from the outside when removing the clamp ring. Fun for us all who got stuck with these windows.
kevin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #6

Washington
Thanks all. This issue is happening between the two panes of glass, not on the outside. Kevin sums up the challenges with fixing windows like this pretty clearly. I'm going to presume that the problem is going to require a factory replacement in order to have it work correctly, so will go from there.

Thanks again
Old 01-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #7

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Window seals in Bigfoot windows

Hi Robin,

Unfortunately, it looks like what you have is the gasket "window-creep" problem common to many Bigfoot models over a specific three year period, I think 2003-2005. We have the same problem in our 2003 25RQ. Attached is a photo of what one window looks like in ours. (Still not very good at attaching photos; hope it worked.)

We knew of the problem and tried for six months to find a used Bigfoot avoiding those years. The trailers are so good and so hard to come by that we finally couldn't resist one that was in great shape, except for the gasket creep.

It's caused by to a defective gasket between the double panes of glass. I've spoken to Bigfoot about it and they are aware of the problem, but there is nothing they can do about it, especially since Bigfoot has reformed after going out of business for a couple of years around 2008.

Most people say the problem is mostly cosmetic, and not necessarily associated with leaks. I've read on this site that the window fabricator knows about the defect, and some folks have gone to Canada and actually had the windows repaired by the fabricator at a "reasonable price"; not sure what that would be.

We just had a week of rain in Arizona and I have found some water in the inside slot for the slide-track of some of the windows. Because of the continuous rain, I haven't yet tried the first step of cleaning out the outside weep holes in the frames, to see if that helps.

On the more extreme side, I have ordered some Dicor non-sag sealant, and EZE RV & Marine window gutters suggested by other readers. I'll apply those when the materials arrive (and things dry out a bit). If all of that doesn't work, the last two options are to take the windows out and reseal them, and possibly replace the offending gaskets at the same time. Not quite ready to fact that yet.

I'll see if I can find one of the earlier conversations on this subject and pass it on.

Josh
Attached Thumbnails
Window creep problem 2.jpg  
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:57 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Try this site - Home Page . Better yet, call him direct. He knows all about the issue and can answer your questions. A couple of options with him; he can send you a kit to do your own repair, or you can ship the window to him and he will repair. He's in Bend, Or. May not be as hard to repair yourself as one might think.
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:28 AM   #9

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKE View Post
Try this site - Home Page . Better yet, call him direct. He knows all about the issue and can answer your questions. A couple of options with him; he can send you a kit to do your own repair, or you can ship the window to him and he will repair. He's in Bend, Or. May not be as hard to repair yourself as one might think.
Thanks Jim, that's definitely a good reference to have. I've bookmarked the page.

Josh
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:45 AM   #10

Name: kevin
Trailer: Miti-Lite
Washington
Good lead JimKE. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I thought I read somewhere that Sunview (BF's OE window supplier) was repairing these issues on these specific year Bigfoots. They are nice folks. I would contact them first and see what they say.

RV Windows by Sun-View Industries
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #12

Washington
Thanks all for the feedback. This issue is on a trailer we were considering buying. We've decided not to go ahead with it, so it's no longer an issue for us. But I bet other people with this type of issue will sure appreciate all the feedback. :-)
Old 01-10-2016, 05:48 PM   #13

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Sunview (BF's OE window supplier) was repairing these issues on these specific year Bigfoots. They are nice folks. I would contact them first and see what they say.

RV Windows by Sun-View Industries
The above is correct. Sunview is the supplier of Bigfoot windows . This was a problem in the 2005 year production and was originally replaced under warranty. Not any more.
It is a cosmetic problem....windows don't leak air.

Get in touch with Kent Miller at Sunview.
Don Dunsmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #14

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
I am resurrecting this old thread because I seem to be zeroing in on this era of Bigfoots. One I am currently discussing with the owner has evidence of early gasket creep. If there is no problem with fogging in the humid thunderstorm-laden summer of the Midwest, I'll let it go, but if the windows start to fog I want to know what I'm in for.

Has anyone gone the DIY route with Dave Root's repair kit? A thermal pane window has an inert gas between the panes to act as an insulator. Once you tear it apart, how do you replicate that aspect of manufacturing? Or does it not matter what's between the panes as long as it is sealed up?

For those who have ordered new windows from Sunview, can you provide a cost? All I've found is that Sunview gives a "fair price." What kind of labor cost can I expect an RV shop to charge to replace a window? Dave Root's cheapest kit is $288 USD, which will repair 1 - 5 windows depending on size, and I'll botch at least one attempt, so I'm trying to figure out if its worth trying to salvage an original window. What might an RV shop charge to perform the repair and reinstallation?

In a thread about Scamp windows, http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-86840.html, Julie had her front and rear Scamp windows replaced with fabricated plexiglass for $290 (parts + labor), plus the cost of ordering a new window seal from Scamp. I have a feeling that is not the route to go with Bigfoot windows, but it sure is cost effective! From looking at Sunviews site, it appears that the windows they manufacture are window and seal in one piece.

In a thread about Boler windows, http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ost-21845.html, Con got his windows from Sunview for $585 CDN (he says Sunbelt in Summerland, but searching I find only Sunview in Summerland). A few problems: That thread is from 2005, he doesn't say how many windows or what size, and I doubt they were thermal pane windows.

I understand that thermal windows manufactured 2006 and after by Sunview do not have the gasket problem. Is Dave Root's fix permanent, or is it better to simply purchase new, problem-free windows?
Old 02-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #15

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
I have a 2003 21' with some window creep. I replaced the left-side front window (the outer pane was broken when I bought it). I paid $393.70 including shipping from Sun-View After that I decided the other windows don't bother me that much! As other's have said it is purely cosmetic.
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot