Rear cargo carrier on Bigfoot 27.5FB - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
Rear cargo carrier on Bigfoot 27.5FB

This is an aluminum cargo carrier, modified to be used backwards with the hitch I had welded between frame rails. the reason for using it backwards, is to provide more ground clearance and keep load and the carrier closer to bumper and minimize over all length. I have a Honda 2000 mounted on a Lockdown mount, the bottom of the tub has a large hole that fits over the generator and hides it from view when not in use. This height makes it easy to start and add fuel to the generator. I was going to use a large cooler but one big enough was to expensive to ruin. I intend later to use a modified 48" aluminum tool box(like used in a pick up bed) to fit over the generator with doors for ventilation and starting etc. Just haven't got that done yet! The spare tire is in the back of the suburban tow vehicle. That's another project.
I did not cut the receiver portion off the carrier so I can use it correctly oriented if needed. Might make spot to mount my grill? Or other ideas? I guestimate this added about 120# or so to the rear of the trailer, part of reason to move spare tire to tow vehicle. Keeping weight closer to rear of trailer helps with balance, I have a lot of tongue weight so not worried about not having enough.
I may add a large label "Sewer Parts"
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2721.JPG   IMG_2722.JPG  

IMG_2723.JPG   IMG_2724.JPG  

Old 01-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Martin, what is the 27.5' FB model? I did not realize they ever made one this size.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #3

its a 25.5 with front cargo box thus the extra 2 feet, front bed walk around queen.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
Bike carrier

While we are on the subject of cargo carriers we need to get a bike carrier, we don't want to install a front hitch on our truck! That being said has anyone put a hitch for a two bike rack on the rear bumper of the 25RQ?
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin A View Post
its a 25.5 with front cargo box thus the extra 2 feet, front bed walk around queen.
Gotcha, but why not list your trailer by the name instead of the length, it would be less confusing. Almost every trailer out there is not the exact length of the hitch to bumper measurement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post
While we are on the subject of cargo carriers we need to get a bike carrier, we don't want to install a front hitch on our truck! That being said has anyone put a hitch for a two bike rack on the rear bumper of the 25RQ?
Does Bigfoot not install a receiver on the back of their trailers, or is this an option?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #6

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Gotcha, but why not list your trailer by the name instead of the length, it would be less confusing. Almost every trailer out there is not the exact length of the hitch to bumper measurement.

Does Bigfoot not install a receiver on the back of their trailers, or is this an option?
As far as the model, it is specifically a 2008' 25B25FB 30th Anniversary Edition Bigfoot trailer with the front box option. I have the same exact trailer with the front storage box and plum bottom trim rather than gold.
Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Curious to know how much weight was added as is, no equipment, generators, etc. ?
Notice a difference in how the unit tracks and pulls?

Thanks
P.S. I have same year and unit, but don't have the front box.
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #8

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKE View Post
Curious to know how much weight was added as is, no equipment, generators, etc. ?
Notice a difference in how the unit tracks and pulls?

Thanks
P.S. I have same year and unit, but don't have the front box.

Not sure if I know the specific answer about how much weight. I guessing the weight addition comes mainly from the extra length of frame as the box itself is fiberglass and probably doesn't weigh much by itself.

Trailer tracks and pulls like a dream behind my 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3 Powerstoke diesel.

See my scale weight ticket below fully loaded and ready to camp.
Attached Thumbnails
08BF40.jpg   scaleweight.jpg  

Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Martin, taking a look at what you did. Have a 25rq but it doesn't have the extended front. I can carry my generator in the back of my pick-up, but being a Yamaha 3000, it is quite heavy in and out, even using ramps. However, I can secure it in the truck bed, which is covered by a shell. When camping, in most cases I can park close enough to pull the generator out on the tail gate and plug in.

But your set up looks intriguing! So, my thinking is to mount the spare on the underside of the trailer, attaching a spare tire winch to the frame, modified if necessary, as long as the tire provides me enough clearance? However, this compounds the weight issue on the rear with the spare, rear cargo tray, and the generator. May be too much weight? Might have to look at the front area of the trailer to mount the spare.

Here again, this all depends on overall ground clearance that mounting the spare underneath would allow, as we mainly dry camp?

Thanks for your photos!
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #10

I did some measuring, there is not enough space under in the rear unless I attached it to the bottom of the cargo carrier(hadn't considered that option yet) there is not a lot of easily accessible room in the front on a FB as I have 2 entry doors, make a 30" circle of cardboard and try it in several areas to see what might work(lighter then trying to push the spare around) I put my spare in the back of the suburban flat on the floor, tied down to the cargo tie and made a platform over it, keep boosters and tow strap in the wheel if needed. I don't anticipate I will ever need the spare and not have the tow vehicle there. Good luck. If anyone is interested I could add a photo of how the spare sits in vehicle.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Bike Rack Receiver Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post

I recently added a 2" receiver to the back of my BF 21. It's an inexpensive one that clamps to the rear bumper. I paid about $22 for it on eBay. A figured a pair of bikes are light enough for the bumper to handle without damaging the bumper. My bike rack is one I switch between my truck and trailer when I'm not using the trailer. The standard receiver bumper clamp arrangement looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
2P4A8024.jpg  
Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony O View Post
I recently added a 2" receiver to the back of my BF 21. It's an inexpensive one that clamps to the rear bumper. I paid about $22 for it on eBay. A figured a pair of bikes are light enough for the bumper to handle without damaging the bumper. My bike rack is one I switch between my truck and trailer when I'm not using the trailer. The standard receiver bumper clamp arrangement looks like this:
I'm not sure I'd feel at all comfortable attaching anything on a cheesy sewer hose bumper, especially a receiver hitch. The hitch itself might be alright, but the "tin foil" sewer hose bumper will most probably collapse under the weight and bouncing of the bikes and bike rack. The lever arm torque placed on that hitch will probably buckle the bumper tubing causing total structural failure, and if that happens, your bikes will be dragged and abraded on the pavement like they were run on a giant sanding belt.

On my trailer, I cut that tin foil sewer hose bumper off with my Sawz-All and replaced it with a length of 3" square channel 3/16" thick tubing, and a welded on section of receiver tubing underneath. The front of the receiver tube is also welded to the frame about 2 feet forward of the bumper to a new cross member I also installed. I feel comfortable with this setup.

Oh, and my sewer hose now lives coiled up in a plastic 5 gallon bucket in my Stow-Away box.
Attached Thumbnails
Receiver Hitch.JPG   RearBumper.JPG  

ReceiverTubeandCrossmember.JPG   Vacation2018 053 (Medium).JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I'm not sure I'd feel at all comfortable attaching anything on a cheesy sewer hose bumper, especially a receiver hitch. The hitch itself might be alright, but the "tin foil" sewer hose bumper will most probably collapse under the weight and bouncing of the bikes and bike rack. The lever arm torque placed on that hitch will probably buckle the bumper tubing causing total structural failure, and if that happens, your bikes will be dragged and abraded on the pavement like they were run on a giant sanding belt.

On my trailer, I cut that tin foil sewer hose bumper off with my Sawz-All and replaced it with a length of 3" square channel 3/16" thick tubing, and a welded on section of receiver tubing underneath. The front of the receiver tube is also welded to the frame about 2 feet forward of the bumper to a new cross member I also installed. I feel comfortable with this setup.

Oh, and my sewer hose now lives coiled up in a plastic 5 gallon bucket in my Stow-Away box.

I like it. It also looks like it will further help prevent any significant damage to the FG should a mishap occur.

I had a 17' Casita for seven years and found the rear bumper a bit too light for the arrangement I now have on my Bigfoot 21. My former Bigfoot 25RQ had an OEM spare tire carrier attached directly to the bumper and that held up very well withstanding the typical bumps and sways of travel, all without any discernible disfigurement. I suspect the tire/wheel and carrier weight is comparable to what my two bikes and bike rack weigh, although I've never weighed either to compare.

The BF bumper on my 21 is considerably beefier at a measured 1/8" thick steel plus an additional aluminum trim overlay so I'm not too worried about it peeling apart or converting it into a corkscrew. (I had that happen on a stickie trailer I sold ten years or so ago; however, I had a cargo carrier installed on that carrying considerably more weight.)

Never say never, if anyone reading this has had a negative experience with a nearly identical setup on their BF trailer I'd appreciate knowing what their experience had been.
Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:43 PM   #14

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2019 Bigfoot 25 foot rear twin
Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKE View Post
Martin, taking a look at what you did. Have a 25rq but it doesn't have the extended front. I can carry my generator in the back of my pick-up, but being a Yamaha 3000, it is quite heavy in and out, even using ramps. However, I can secure it in the truck bed, which is covered by a shell. When camping, in most cases I can park close enough to pull the generator out on the tail gate and plug in.
Consider mounting your generator to a cargo slide like this one. I have a cargo slide in the bed of my GMC 2500 HD and I love it. https://www.4are.com/cargoglide/
Bob in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #15

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

My 21 fb came with a receiver on the back bumper. Choose your bike rack carefully as ours is a pain to load, doesn't hold them as secrely as i'd like and wobbles around. It is a dick's sporting goods model.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6597.jpg  
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefldiver View Post
My 21 fb came with a receiver on the back bumper. Choose your bike rack carefully as ours is a pain to load, doesn't hold them as secrely as i'd like and wobbles around. It is a dick's sporting goods model.
1UP is a fantastic rack. Install the rack in less than a minute. Load the bikes in less than a minute. Quality build too. A bit pricey, but we'll worth it.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #17

Name: aj
Trailer: Roamer TC
Georgia
I like the stealth of it. I may use an unappealing box to cover mine.

No sway on the trailer? Your balancing method is not what trailer manufacturers recommend. Weight away from the axle causes sway, and you cannot even it out this way. If your trailer is so short then it won't be such an issue.
To unload the tongue it is safest to move weight to above the axle, not make the axle a fulcrum.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot