Front cargo box or not - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #1

Name: Gregg
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Front cargo box or not

I am interested in purchasing a new Bigfoot 25RQ and was wondering what anyone's thoughts on including or excluding a front cargo box. Certainly extra cargo space is always welcome, but is it worth the extra 2+ extended feet? I will be towing with a tundra 8 foot box.
Gcapozzelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
I sure use ours. Great for the bulky stuff like mats, hoses, etc. It’s our “mud room.” Muddy or wet or both get chucked in the front storage box. We have not found the longer length an issue.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
The cargo box has been our favorite option on our Escape.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #4

Name: Karen
Trailer: Big Foot
Michigan
We just ordered ours last month without as we didn't want the extra length for getting into our favorite National Forest campsites. Everything will fit in our Ford Expedition if we are short on room.
Karen in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #5

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
cargo box

We love ours on our 19 Escape. Removes a ton of stuff from the back of the TV. The Scamp box (when we still had our Scamp 16) had various items licke stinky slinky fittings, water hoses, WD-40 and all the paraphernalia needed for set up.

Now no "Scamp box" is taking up 1/3 of the physical space in the rear of our Felx. Also with the big fridge in the Escape no "Yeti-like" ice chest required in the back space. So the trailer storage bin (limited to 100 lbs) saves a huge amount of TV space. Most of the stuff was light weight in any case and when parked I can put the load leveling bars, anti-sway bar and the X-chocks for the twin axles.

If you can tow it get it!.
My $.02 worth.
Bad Dudw
Old 01-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #6

Name: Roy
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
Like Bruce, we really love our front storage box on our 25RQ. That's where I store my fishing rods, tackle box, and folding chairs. Also keep my wheel chocks and leveling gear in "the hole". My wife keeps the outdoor rug stowed in there as well. The extra 2 feet is not an issue.

Good luck on your new purchase and safe travels!

Roy
Roy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:06 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
I tow ours with a suburban, and keep extra gas for the generator and a pair of 2 gallon empty gas containers if it looks like we may be in an area where we might need extra for the tow vehicle, also most of my set up stuff is in there, along with a bunch of misc items. I wouldn't like the smell of the gas in the suburban, or in the pass through. We went from a 17.5 to this I don't think I would notice the 2 foot, but the 10 foot increase did take some getting used to.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I never worried about the "100 lbs" limit on my 21 Escape box as the thing is mounted on the frame. I put the heavy stuff (toolbox with spares) over the frame mounts and spread the lighter stuff around. I would think folks who have 2 6V batteries in their box are already over the limit with nothing added.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Do you have stuff that you would prefer to not store in the camper or the tow rig? If so the box is for you!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
our casita had no cargo box, and dealing with all the trailer stuff (lego blocks, wheel chocks, extension cords, water hoses, awning lights, etc) was a pain. our escape has one, and I love it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
The cargo box is a great addition for your camping needs, but it's just like your tow vehicle, if you don't have the right setup to start with then all these additions with just prove to be another problem down the line. From what I have seen at camping grounds a 3/4 ton pickup is about the minimum for a 25 ft. Bigfoot and most were using the big V8, or a diesel. A Bigfoot of that size is 7000 lbs. and that's before you add anything in the trailer and tow vehicle.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #12

Name: larry
Trailer: Casita, but in the market for a bigfoot
Colorado
front cargo box on 25ft bigfoot

I think the main consideration is where you intend to camp. As one reply stated, if you intend to camp in national forest or national park campgrounds, many can not accommodate a trailer over 25 ft in length. So by adding the box it will limit the places you can stay.
larryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21FB) / 2002 Ford F-150 5.4L V8
The cargo box on the Bigfoot is awesome!
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:39 PM   #14

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
Front box

As the earlier person posted the box is great, just beware that the tongue weight on the 25RQ is much heavier than advertised. I would suggest you weigh it before towing. With nothing in our box, minimum stuff in the trailer our tongue weight was over 1K. With the water tank full it was almost 1200 LBS.
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot