Rooftop solar on Bigfoot travel trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #21

Name: Ben
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
The cables go down the front outside of the stack. I brought them into the trailer by the charge controller where I also installed the solar controller. My batteries are outside, under the front shroud.

Ben
btroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #22

Name: Taras
Trailer: Currently shopping for Burro, scamp or casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by btroxell View Post
The cables go down the front outside of the stack. I brought them into the trailer by the charge controller where I also installed the solar controller. My batteries are outside, under the front shroud.

Ben
So the cables go inside the camper into the charge controller inside? Where did you place the charge controller and where do wires from the controller go into the battery?
Rushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #23

California
My trailer came "prewired for solar". That ment the wire was coiled up at the top of the fridge vent, down the vent and into the the cabinet next to the door. The cable was cut with a coil and then continued out the cabinet back into the fridge area and out the bottom of the trailer and forward where it was coiled up. I reconnected the wires in the cabinet and ran the coiled end into the trailer by the charge controller, where I also installed the solar charger.

Ben
Old 02-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #24

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
We have the same trailer. We ran the cable dowb thru the fridge vent and fished them thru to under the boot rack. We have the controler mounted on the aisle side of the boot rack.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #25

Name: Adam
California
Does it reduce the value of RV if you drill holes to install solar/satellite and if sealed properly? Understanding, ideally less holes less potential leaks. Thanks.
araytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #26

Name: Old Viking 38
Trailer: Bigfoot 29Sl Motor Home
Arizona
Go to Bigfoot Owners Club International |
Free registration for new owners. Search the forum and forum archives for your trailer and or rooftop solar installations. Lots of information, I believe the best access is down the refrigerator vent. Annual registration fee is $25.00 if you decide to stay with the club.
dschase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #27

Name: Jon
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by btroxell View Post
My trailer came "prewired for solar". That ment the wire was coiled up at the top of the fridge vent, down the vent and into the the cabinet next to the door. The cable was cut with a coil and then continued out the cabinet back into the fridge area and out the bottom of the trailer and forward where it was coiled up. I reconnected the wires in the cabinet and ran the coiled end into the trailer by the charge controller, where I also installed the solar charger.

Ben
I'm looking at a 2019 2521RB. Did you do the installation yourself? I see you are in California, as am I. If we are not too far away I'd love to take a look at how you installed it.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #28

California
Yes I did. 2 100W panels taped with VHB on the roof and a Bogart controller and monitor inside. I also have a 100W portable panel.
When I bought the trailer, I had the dealer install 2 220 AH AGM 6V batteries. So far, the system has been working fine for me.

Ben

Tags
bigfoot, solar