Bigfoot 5th Wheel Electrical - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Bigfoot 5th Wheel Electrical

I looked through the documents section but couldn't find an Electrical schematic for the Bigfoot 5th Wheel. Does anyone have one? Does anyone have a lot of experience with the electrical in these? I have a few questions about the best way to go about doing a couple things.

Thanks!

R not S
Old 07-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I do not believe Bigfoot ever published a comprehensive electrical diagram. I have a "rare" Bigfoot Owners Manual for my 1994 trailer. It was originally published in 86 with revisions in 87, 88, 89 and 92 so it would also cover your trailer. Depending on the mood I am in, I would describe this manual as totally useless or a big joke. The electrical information is limited to the color codes you have on the 7 pin trailer connector and the #'s of the replacement light bulbs. If you have a specific issue you can describe, maybe myself, or someone else can help, but the Bigfoot publication is not going to get you any useful information.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Thanks Jack, that's exactly how I feel. Our Bigfoot came with the original manual too and I was shocked to see how lacking it is! I was hoping maybe I got the short version but I guess not.

At the moment, I don't have a specific question. We'd like to add solar in the not-too-distant future so in the meantime, I was trying to take a look at the system and see what it's like. Unfortunately, most of it is well hidden so I wanted a schematic just to get an idea.

Also, we'd like to install a battery monitor (not hard, even not knowing the system) and we're also have a couple of problems. First, I noticed that the gray water tank always reads empty. I was looking at it and it looks like all the wires have been cut/snapped that go to that tank. A fix should be easy enough based on colors, but it's still nice to know how to turn things off and on.

Second, our DC power is doing some strange things. Last night, we tried to turn a light on and it wouldn't come on. We accidentally left it switched on and about an hour later, we noticed it turned on. I'm not sure if the problem is the battery or the system (hence the desire to get a battery monitor).

Anyways, this is more of a data gathering effort in which information is most welcome. I wonder if it's worth a call to Bigfoot...?

Thanks for responding.

Tags
bigfoot, electrical