BC 19’ Bigfoot question. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
19’ Bigfoot question.

Hi all,
I’ve inherited a 19’ Bigfoot trailer (‘93 I think). It was on the road in 2010, but has been sitting outside of Williams Lake since. Fibreglass is great, though needs a good cleaning; frame is rusty, but no holes; interior needs work - all the calking is sun damaged. No mold or must at all (surprisingly), but maybe a soft floor right at the door.
Is it worth a $1000 trip and a tow?
I have a 72 Boler, which is a dream. Not sure about the Bigfoot. I’m new to FG RVs. Pondering renovating this trailer.
Any and all advice appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
C182F890-6A00-44AF-8BDC-E7295EDBC2FC.jpg  
Old 08-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I think it's worth the trip. I would sure put new tires on it before going anywhere. Also, I think it is a little older (88 ? or so) but still worth the trip.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #3

British Columbia
You’re right - 86. Found registration papers
Old 08-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #4

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Would be a shame to let it completely deteriorate. Maybe think about having it hauled on a flat bed unless you are prepared to deal with tires, hubs and lighting before you tow it. If you don't want to fix it, someone surely will.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Would be a shame to let it completely deteriorate. Maybe think about having it hauled on a flat bed unless you are prepared to deal with tires, hubs and lighting before you tow it. If you don't want to fix it, someone surely will.
As the owner of a 1988 B19, I'd say if you can get it for $1k and have the skills to rehab, it's so worth it! I travelled from Phoenix AZ to Vancouver Island to buy mine for $11k and while it was in decent shape for its age, nothing had been replaced on it, so I have been renovating it bit by bit, easily will have spent another $6k on it by the time I'm done. But they are very hard to find and it's the only size I like. I'm not keen on the layouts of the 19' Escapes and Oliver, so the Bigfoot B19 is it!

You'll have an awesome trailer with great resale value when you're done.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #6

British Columbia
Good call. That’s what I’ll do.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If you get towing insurance on it before you head out maybe you can have it towed to a local tire service place where they can change the tires, inspect the brakes and service them and the bearings before you arrive. That will save you time since no doubt you will want to get on the road instead of waiting around for appointments and service.

Looking at the photo a soft floor inside the door is certainly not surprising if it has been sitting at that angle for a lot of years. A lot of us including my self have had to deal with that issue. Old gaskets have typically shrunk and hardened then they leak.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
19’ Bigfoot question.

YES! Go 4 it!

I have a ‘93 Bigfoot 19, which I cannot say enough good things about. This is a very well made trailer. It’s perfect for just one person - or a younger couple who like to snuggling close. It’s easy to tow & that extra 2 feet makes a huge difference in livability. I also prefer the wider cabin, which unlike a stick trailer does not hang out enough to worry about clipping.

P.S. It has a really nice, roomy marine bath.

This trailer was manufactured during the golden age of Bigfoot. The BF 19 mold was destroyed in a factory fire. Bigfoot decided not to replace it. That’s why there are so few of them. So, by towing it to safety you’d be doing a great deed for the fiberglass trailer world.

Once you get it home & assess what needs to be done you can make some decisions on whether to keep it. If you want to keep it, but don’t want to do the hands on restoration, seek out a someone who works on older trailers. Alternatively, there are so many hobbyists on this site, you can easily find someone willing to take it off your hands and still realize a small profit for your efforts.

Again depending on the condition of the ‘19 ... I’d consider selling the Boler and using those funds to fix it up. You’ll never look back.

Please update this thread. I for one am interested in your decision, and your progress if you keep it.

Best of luck
Old 08-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Registry
Bigfoot trailer

I have that same model in an '87. Check out the photos with my handle. I would say you have a trailer worth fixing up. It is a comfortable model and the dual axles is a real plus.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
SouthwestOregon201
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0213.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	123213
Old 08-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #10

British Columbia
Hey all great advice. Thanks! I’m going to get it and bring it back and assess from there. I’ll have to scout this site for Reno advice if I do go that route.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:08 PM   #11

British Columbia
Hey the inside looks waay better white. Did you replace the cabinets or paint the existing ones?

Tags
bigfoot