Bigfoot rock guard latch help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #1

Name: Nikki
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Utah
Registry
Bigfoot rock guard latch help

From my research that I have have done that this spring loaded latch is no longer being manufactured for our 1990 17' Bigfoot. PClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1426442714.988901.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	81370Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1426442760.293731.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	81371ls correct me if I'm wrong I need one....so if anyone has one laying around i'd be happy to pay you take it off your hands--

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Lilliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:38 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If you have the plunger and mounting bracket,the spring can be replaced. I rebuilt mine and would like to have a spare.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:29 AM   #3

Utah
Registry
Sadly, the entire bracket is missing. I just bought this rig and fixing it up and noticed it was completely gone. Either I will have to drill another hole for another bracket style or find a needle in a haystack!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I've been looking for these for my '89 Bigfoot with no luck so far. I have both of mine, and recently rebconditioned them. But they are pretty corroded and rough looking and they are difficult to operate. I wouldn't mind replacing them with new ones.

I haven't found any but I did find this gravel guard support arm that has a similar appearing spring pin riveted on the end of the arm. Without actually buying it and trying it, I don't know if they it would work on the BF but it might be worth a try if you are actually missing one. If you had it in-hand, you could probably measure the spring clip assembly enough to determine if it will be a good fit.

If not, you could return them. If so, you'd have to drill the rivet out to remove the aluminum spring pin but that wouldn't be too difficult.

Just a thought.

Stone Guard Support Arm
Attached Thumbnails
gravel_guard_arm.jpg  
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I just noticed my bracket is not identical to the photo. Mine is a 90 degree angle aluminum bracket without the offset. Mine is a 94 and slightly different. So hard to find just got harder. The photo posted by Trainjunkie shows a possibility with the offset. It also looks like the pin would be too far out from the forward bulkhead to work on mine. I'll try to post photos in a few days.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #6

Utah
Registry
I actually need new arms too...so going with this idea. I'll post photos when completed IF successful! Thanks Guys!
Old 03-17-2015, 07:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Here is a thread from 2008: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ins-32869.html
Our hardware is like the picture on the #2 posting and we are still looking for them. The picture shows just the housing and not the pin that is spring loaded. The one that we had that was functional fell apart last year. I'm going to show it to an acquaintance to see if he can fabricate something similar. I was thinking that if the spring part is difficult to use that a pin through the housing and pin with two positions, for deployed and keeper positions, might be a good alternative. Will call Vintage Trailer to get some possible measurements to see if the linked bracket part might work. Thanks for the link trainjunkie!
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #8

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Vintage trailer graciously provided these measurements for the end bracket on their support : Pin diameter a bit less than 1/4 inch, distance between mounting holes 1 1/8 inches, base of housing to center of pin 1 5/8 inches. This won't work for me so I'll pursue fabrication. If anyone else is interested in the bracket shown in post #2 of the linked thread PM me.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #9

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
I was mistaken about the rock guard hardware on our BF. It is similar to the one pictured on the thread link I cited, but was noted to vary from it when I looked at our old pictures. My acquaintance will fabricate two for me at $20 each, PM me if you would like to have some made. He will do other variations of the rock guard hardware but would need a sample. PM me for further information.
Attached Thumbnails
April 2011-Sept 2011 207.jpg   April 2011-Sept 2011 209.jpg  

Old 03-26-2015, 02:38 PM   #10

Utah
Registry
Awe! So cool....I already modified my bigfoot to make the vintage arms work...boo hiss...I would have much rather gone this route, but I'm impatient and it's functioning and will suit my needs. I'm so happy you have someone that will do this! I will post some photos of my mod once I clean up the the old screw holes. Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2015, 11:20 PM   #11

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
The wing nuts on my rock guard aren't working. They are rusted bad and wont turn or loosen either one. Got hubby to cut them off so I could TRY and fit a bolt with a washer in each one and another wing nut. Hoping I can get them inside that tiny hole.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25FB trailer
Looking at the picture in #8, I think a piece of aluminum angle of appropriate size could be drilled to match the mounting holes, and a hole for the pin. Instead of the pin use an appropriate size nylon bolt and epoxy its nut on top or the under side of the bracket. The nylon will nor rust nor get stuck. to make sure the bolt doesn't fall out drill a small hole through the bolt above the bracket and slip a small clevis pin through the bolt. Should be able to make this for a few bucks in parts from a decent hardware store. You could even attach a piece of fishing line to the bracket and clevis pin so it doesn't get lost.
Martin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #13

Name: Ted
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Lilliv,

I realize this is an older post...but have any pictures or info on how you converted them to work?

thanks!
-Ted
tedladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25FB trailer
I did not make this repair, I have a newer trailer that has the pull down rubber latches, I was only making a suggestion as to how it might be repaired, if you would like I could make a drawing of my thoughts to perhaps make it more clear.
Martin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:59 AM   #15

Utah
Registry
Sorry for the delay...

I did make this repair, however I had to install them on the sides of the rock guard instead of the bottom, since both arms were broken I ordered a complete set and installed them on the side.

I just looked through all my photos and I don't have any to show exactly what I did, but it require drilling new holes (gasp) into both the guard and the main body. It works like a charm but not original.

I had made the repair prior to someone offering to fabricate which I would have much rather done. I have one remaining working side of the latch I would be happy to give to you, if you want to pay for shipping (and I can find it).
Thanks!
Old 03-14-2016, 08:17 AM   #16

Georgia
That would be great! All my parts literally flew off, so I'm trying to figure out a fix from pictures. Where are you located?

thanks!
-Ted
Old 03-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #17

Utah
Registry
Park City, UT
Old 03-14-2016, 08:21 AM   #18

Utah
Registry
Do the Support Arms still work? Is it the same model and year? If so, I'll dig around for what I have...you can PM your address...
Old 03-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #19

Georgia
No, my support arms are gone. Mine is an 84 Bigfoot Gaucho. I think I'm either going to have to retrofit the Vintage RV arms or fabricate something entirely different.

If you have any pictures of how yours work, that would be awesome!

I'll PM you my address.

thanks!
-Ted
Old 11-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #20

Name: Al
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Pennsylvania
You can buy the whole assembly including arms, brackets, and pins from Vintage Trailer Supply for $15.

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-808.htm
Al in PA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot