New Parkliner 16 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #41
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The obvious... It shares certain similarities with the new Parkliner: double hull, composite floor, high-end price. Beyond that, though, they're targeting a different style of camping. The Parkliner is a cleverly packaged, full-featured RV. The Happier Camper is more of an outdoor recreation pod.

It did strike me that a base Scamp 13 starts at $10K and a Scamp 16 at $15K, about 50% more. A base Happier Camper 13 starts at about $20K and a Parkliner 16 at $30K, also about 50% more. In that sense, the two high-end offerings are comparably priced at roughly double an entry-level Scamp. I realize that's a very crude comparison, as the base S13 comes with more standard features than a base HC1, while a base S16 has fewer features than a base P16.

A/C is available on the Happier Camper. I don't think that would change your mind in any way, but it might influence someone else's decision.
Base for the HC1 is actually 18995.00
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #42
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Lots of stuff is available for HC1 as options. Appears there is no plumbing for sink, toilet, propane. All those are "portable", running off little bottles.
You can buy a one-burner butane stove for less than $30 at any Korean or Chinese grocery store.
Pic is "Add Ons".
Yes there is a propane option for the heater only as it is the only item that can be permanently attached and yes the HC1 has plumbing for the kitchenette . The HC1 uses a 5 pound propane tank which is more than ample for the heater and keeps the tounge weight lighter
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #43

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Hard to say if Parkliner prices are going to be dramatically affected by going through dealers. But, it'll still have a tremendous advantage over stick builts sold at a dealer: resale value.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #44

Name: J
Isle of Wight
I've often wondered how it works when selling thousands of unit thru a dealer. Does the dealer pay up front for the units - or only when it sells? Either way somebody is paying for an enormous number of units that are sitting on a lot.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #45

Trailer: 2018 Parkliner
Utah
Parkliner lies to me

I ordered the 2017 Parkliner with all the bells and whistles from a dealer in Mesa AZ and it was to be delivered in June 2017. I've had many talks with dealer and factory rep and fed a lot of BS. For example, I was supposed to have the new third one built, it would be ready in mid Sep. It is now November, and I have no clue what these people are doing. Their last update on the web was July. Something is going on and they aren't talking.
ecmbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #46
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmbob View Post
I ordered the 2017 Parkliner with all the bells and whistles from a dealer in Mesa AZ and it was to be delivered in June 2017. I've had many talks with dealer and factory rep and fed a lot of BS. For example, I was supposed to have the new third one built, it would be ready in mid Sep. It is now November, and I have no clue what these people are doing. Their last update on the web was July. Something is going on and they aren't talking.
We had an Arrowhead. Sold it and ordered a Trillium. Same experience as you. Delivery date came and went. They finally delivered it a month late. Poor build quality, lots of issues. Warranty, what warranty? I think they were in over their head. Viewing the website who knows what Parkliner is selling. My advice, ask the dealer for your deposit back and walk away.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #47

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmbob View Post
That's disappointing to hear, especially since the founder of Parkliner, Chandler Palethorpe, had a pretty good reputation for customer service with the first generation builds. It wouldn't be the first time that a good product and cs experience was ruined by a buyout.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
That's disappointing to hear, especially since the founder of Parkliner, Chandler Palethorpe, had a pretty good reputation for customer service with the first generation builds.
Man. That's not my recollection.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #49

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Man. That's not my recollection.
Mine either, I recall many complaints about phone calls and emails going unanswered, and promises not completed.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
A few years ago I ran across a site where Chandler had posted the Parkliner business as being for sale. I was under the impression that he had written the advertisement and description of the business himself.

I got the impression of someone who was completely aware that operating a business was not his strong suit, but who really believed in the product he had created. The ad said that he hoped he could retain some sort of role in the design and engineering side of the business. It was clear that he really had his heart in the trailer he had created.

Trying to manufacture and support a few trailers a year is a tall order and I respect someone who took a chance and made that happen, whether or not he was able to keep up with all of the buyer's expectations. It takes time to learn how to under-promise and over-deliver, as often we tend start out our careers by over-promising and under-delivering.

And, there's a thousand other factors that conspire to crush a small business. Without failures, we would have no successes, because no failures would mean that no one was taking any risks...

So, while Chandler may have disappointed some people, I am still very impressed by what he created. I get the impression of someone who never set out to do anyone any wrong. And, there's a cool trailer out there that is a direct result of all of his work and creativity.

Look at how many of these little molded fiberglass trailers we own and talk about on the forum today that aren't in production anymore. I'm certain that every one of them had people involved who really believed in what they were creating, who were not there just to create cheap garbage to sell for a quick buck. It's clearly not an easy business.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #51

Arkansas
Registry
Well said Mike. I salute anyone with the guts to pursue their dream, whether or not they have all the business acumen needed for long term success.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #52

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have to agree, well said Mike
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #53

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
starting a business

Many years ago I worked for a large company I was a commission sales guy. I got to making more than their exectives for some reason while everyone in the management made a cut off my earnings they just couldn't deal with it! I never understood this?

Long story short we fell out big time I got fired I kept all my files and stuff they threw a fit I told them to sue me they never did but they made my life pretty rough for a spell.

In that time I started my own company doing the same things I borrowed money at 18% this couldn't work out. I almost lost it all but another company came in and bought me out when they found out my sales.

I finally went back in for myself but I learned many valuable lessons, first one don't over borrow, make sure you customer base is reliable and be willing to put everything you have on the line. Did I say hours on top of hours while everyone is playing?

Most people cant deal with that! I think the Parkliner guy had no idea of the built in overhead and headaches to owning your own business sadly starting with who you hire. In many cases a trusted relative or friend who in the end will be a disaster.

I admire anyone who can start something, make it work and finish things out! Getting a long range plan to work is in many cases a lot of luck and when you check on the tt companies several if not most have had to face downfalls not of their own making.

In my industry very few are family owned they get big encounter all the things I have listed. They either go broke, liquidate or sell out to some monster company!

But there are always people who cannot work for that huge company due to all the things they are forced to do that contribute nothing! Getting sales and management to all blend together is a tall task. I think of all the skilled labor guys who are paid small wages while the company they work for charges exhorbinat labor rates!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:34 AM   #54

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
When I ordered my Parkliner I knew that things were not going real well but I also knew that no one had lost their deposit so since this was the trailer I had my heart set on I went ahead and sent in a deposit. My transaction went smoothly because Tom Bass had become involved by then. When I went to pick up the trailer I met Chandler and he admitted to me that he was no businessman. He had a brilliant idea and went with it, the Parkliner is one heck of a wonderful trailer and I am thrilled to have one. As he said, he never really thought past the design of the trailer. I am thankful for my little piece of heaven and thank Chandler for his design and Tom for his business acumen every time I step foot in "Folly". I am also glad for others that he sold to someone who will carry on so others can enjoy a Parkliner as much as I do.
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #55

Utah
Parkliner update

Thanks for the message Pat. I got an email from the dealer that my unit should be done Friday. I Liberty rep will pick it up in NC and send me pics. If all is well, maybe by the end of the month my dream will come through. My wife and I have to drive to Mesa from Utah, turn in my Chalet for trade and check out the rig.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #56

Michigan
Robert, please update this page when you get yours. Is it the new model or the original?
Old 11-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #57

Utah
Parkliner update

It had better be the 2018 model, since the old ones supposedly out of stock are the 2017s. If not, I can predict a form of road rage at the dealer.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #58

Michigan
Well I know the new double hulled model is $10,000 more so it would be a good idea if you know what you are getting. I was just wondering if they were still making them like the original or if they had rolled out the new, redesigned model
Old 11-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #59

Utah
Parkoner update

I am told all are 2018 models made from a new mold. Before I leave for Mesa, I'll have the dealer double check.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #60

Michigan
Yup, it would be a good thing to know, can't wait to hear how you like it

Tags
parkliner