Parkliner 2018 Wheel Stud Length - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #1

Name: Maria
Trailer: Parkliner 2018
Maryland
Parkliner 2018 Wheel Stud Length

Hi folks. New Parkliner owner here (just got my baby on Sat. 7/18). The manual has different torque settings for different length of wheel studs. Does anybody know what the wheel stud length is on the 2018 Parkliner? I need to do the torque checks. Many thanks. Now I have to figure out how to change my profile , from "in search of" to "Parkliner."
Maria in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria in MD View Post
Hi folks. New Parkliner owner here (just got my baby on Sat. 7/18). The manual has different torque settings for different length of wheel studs. Does anybody know what the wheel stud length is on the 2018 Parkliner? I need to do the torque checks. Many thanks. Now I have to figure out how to change my profile , from "in search of" to "Parkliner."
Are you sure you didn’t mean to say “ bolt diameter “ ?
Most small fiberglass trailers have 1/2” diameter wheel studs .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:57 AM   #3

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Are you sure you didn’t mean to say “ bolt diameter “ ?
Most small fiberglass trailers have 1/2” diameter wheel studs .

Steve, the manual says: "Lug nuts should be torqued to 110-120 ft/lbs (140-150 ft/lbs on hubs using a 9/16" stud). I thought that the 9/16" was a length. IF, IF it is length, what is the 'unmentioned/assumed we know' the length of the 110-120 ft/lbs torque figure?

Many thanks.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
it is in fact the diameter, mot the length; length has no effect on torque, but diameter of the bolt definitely will.
Hold a tape measure across the face of the bolt or the lug-nut, get the best reading you can for size, and use that measurement, what they are probably assuming is:
Standard stud diameter is 1/2 inch
larger would be 9/16
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:36 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
It appears from your original question that you are not familiar with how to properly torque a nut

1) The torque numbers listed by Dexter are dry numbers ( No lubrication)
2) There is a proper pattern / order for torquing the wheel nuts
3) There is a proper procedure for bringing the nuts up to the proper setting in increments

IE ; Starting with nut / stud #1 you do NOT just bring it to full torque and then proceed to nut #2 and repeat . They must be brought up to the proper torque setting in steps and in proper order
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:49 AM   #6

Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
it is in fact the diameter, mot the length; length has no effect on torque, but diameter of the bolt definitely will.
Hold a tape measure across the face of the bolt or the lug-nut, get the best reading you can for size, and use that measurement, what they are probably assuming is:
Standard stud diameter is 1/2 inch
larger would be 9/16

Aha! Non-car/mechanic type person here! Joe thanks! And a bonus for me, I know exactly where my tape measure is . I hope to be able to find a socket the correct size today or tomorrow at the latest.

Again, many thanks. I'm sure I will have a gazillion more questions and cries for help, and you folks rock!
Old 07-24-2020, 07:07 AM   #7

Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It appears from your original question that you are not familiar with how to properly torque a nut

1) The torque numbers listed by Dexter are dry numbers ( No lubrication)
2) There is a proper pattern / order for torquing the wheel nuts
3) There is a proper procedure for bringing the nuts up to the proper setting in increments

IE ; Starting with nut / stud #1 you do NOT just bring it to full torque and then proceed to nut #2 and repeat . They must be brought up to the proper torque setting in steps and in proper order

Thanks Steve. I am unfamiliar with that. The manual does have great instructions and a diagram of the pattern and proper sequence, but that "9/16"" had be baffled.

I find interesting also that the manual states: "The information contained in these printed instructions outlines the most recently recommended processes involving Lug Nut torque and takes precedence over any information regarding Lug Nut Torque shown in your Lippert or Dexter Owner's Manuals." (emphasis mine). I haven't read the entire manual so don't know which of the two it mentions.

You folks here are the best.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:47 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Source

Hi Maria
If you need a Torque wrench for only wheel nut torque use, I would advise that the 1/2 inch drive torque wrench available at Harbor Freight for about $20 and cheaper on sale will do fine for you. Then, if you do not need a whole set of 1/2 inch drive sockets, you can buy singles of the size you need in either standard depth or “deep well” at hardware stores or big box stores. You may want a three or six inch length 1/2 inch drive extension for the wrench to facilitate easier line up with the nuts. Once you get onto it or see the process done once time, you’ll not forget how and be ready for any unforeseen eventualities or routine maintenance practices. Don’t hesitate to ask questions, we all had to learn once. At our Mississippi River Rendezvous Rally we had a wheel nut torque contest for three years, I know it was the first time several of the men and women attendees had ever handled a torque wrench and we had fun with it. First prize? A harbor freight torque wrench what else?
Hope this helps.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: 2016 Parkliner
Virginia
Do you have the Parkliner manual? One of the owners created it. It's awesome in my opinion. If you'll pm me your email address I'll send it to you.

Re torque settings, the manual mentions lug nuts only that I can see. It says:

"Park Liner trailers are equipped with either the standard five-lug steel
wheels or optional alloy wheels. In either case, it is important to check the
lug nuts for proper tightness after the first 100-miles and then every 1000-
miles. Using a torque wrench, adjust the torque of each lug nut to 90-95
psi.
"
Old 07-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Steve, the manual says: "Lug nuts should be torqued to 110-120 ft/lbs (140-150 ft/lbs on hubs using a 9/16" stud). I thought that the 9/16" was a length. IF, IF it is length, what is the 'unmentioned/assumed we know' the length of the 110-120 ft/lbs torque figure?

Many thanks.
You have a manual? We never got one, I guess Parkliner is upping its game.
wc
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #11

Iowa
PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjiwjr View Post
Do you have the Parkliner manual? One of the owners created it. It's awesome in my opinion. If you'll pm me your email address I'll send it to you.

psi.
"
Not to be picky but lug nut torque is measured in foot pounds not pounds per square inch.
Tighten in a Star pattern, all at 35 then all at 65 then all at 95 ft lbs.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #12

Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Maria
If you need a Torque wrench for only wheel nut torque use, I would advise that the 1/2 inch drive torque wrench available at Harbor Freight for about $20 and cheaper on sale will do fine for you. Then, if you do not need a whole set of 1/2 inch drive sockets, you can buy singles of the size you need in either standard depth or “deep well” at hardware stores or big box stores. You may want a three or six inch length 1/2 inch drive extension for the wrench to facilitate easier line up with the nuts. Once you get onto it or see the process done once time, you’ll not forget how and be ready for any unforeseen eventualities or routine maintenance practices. Don’t hesitate to ask questions, we all had to learn once. At our Mississippi River Rendezvous Rally we had a wheel nut torque contest for three years, I know it was the first time several of the men and women attendees had ever handled a torque wrench and we had fun with it. First prize? A harbor freight torque wrench what else?
Hope this helps.
Iowa Dave

Thanks for the tips "1/2 inch drive sockets, you can buy singles of the size you need in either standard depth or “deep well” at hardware stores or big box stores. You may want a three or six inch length 1/2 inch drive extension for the wrench to facilitate easier line up with the nuts..." I love Harbor Freight. That's where I went first, and the 1st and 2nd ones I returned because they locked up at 70 ft/lbs. Wouldn't go any further. The 3rd time I had a store employee open the box and show me how to use it. She didn't know but knew a customer in the store and asked him for help. He tried, locked up at 70 ft/lb but he strong armed it and forced it to 150 then he said: "it shouldn't be this hard. This thing's broken" and walked away. So I got a $40 one at Advance Auto, the mechanism works great but I need to get the sockets to torque them.

Thank you. I appreciate your help. Hoping to find the sockets and the extension tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #13

Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjiwjr View Post

psi.
"

Thanks iamj. This manual appears to be from Parkliner, but I'll take the one you have as well because it's written because of, and through, personal experience. I hope I can figure out how to pm you for it . Many thanks.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:36 PM   #14

Iowa
Sorry

Quote:
Thanks for the tips "1/2 inch drive sockets, you can buy singles of the size you need in either standard depth or “deep well” at hardware stores or big box stores. You may want a three or six inch length 1/2 inch drive extension for the wrench to facilitate easier line up with the nuts..." I love Harbor Freight. That's where I went first, and the 1st and 2nd ones I returned because they locked up at 70 ft/lbs. Wouldn't go any further. The 3rd time I had a store employee open the box and show me how to use it. She didn't know but knew a customer in the store and asked him for help. He tried, locked up at 70 ft/lb but he strong armed it and forced it to 150 then he said: "it shouldn't be this hard. This thing's broken" and walked away. So I got a $40 one at Advance Auto, the mechanism works great but I need to get the sockets to torque them.

Thank you. I appreciate your help. Hoping to find the sockets and the extension tomorrow.
Although it’s been a couple years, the Harbor Freight wrenches we bought we’re all pretty accurate at 95 ft lbs against some calibrated wrenches some of the guys there had. Perhaps they have changed sources. I bought a brand new craftsman at an auction a couple years ago and gave it to my son in law. I checked it against my Proto and it was as they say “nuts on”. Good luck in the future, checking tire pressures, nut torque, and a visual inspection of trailer tires are solid operating procedures that will serve you well.
Iowa Dave

Tags
parkliner