LED Brake Lights for '86 Bigfoot B17 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My 2010 Trillium came with sealed Bargman LED tail lights. They are quite bright and easy to see. While LEDS should last a very long time, the support electronics may not. Not long after the warranty ran out, one of the four failed. They use good glue. No way to repair. Replacement cost $40.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_20170406_181904.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	104704
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #22

Name: Kees
Trailer: Newmar
Ontario
Dielectric grease should be used on bulb sockets; flasher speed

There have been several references to the fact that LED lights draw less current than regular incandescent bulbs. This is very true. This is one of their benefits.

It was stated in one of the posts that the greater current requirement of incandescent bulbs would mitigate the effects of corrosion on a bulb socket. This, I propose is entirely untrue. The best way to prevent bulb socket corrosion, whether you use LED's or regular incandescent bulbs is to apply some dielectric grease to the bulb and socket before replacing whatever kind of bulb you use. Dielectric grease is readily available at any automotive parts store. You should also apply some to the plug/socket which connects your trailer to the tow vehicle. This too is to prevent corrosion by keeping moisture from the essential contacts.

There have also been comments on the flashing speed of turn signals if/when LED bulbs are used. I suggest that you can get a steady and predictable flasher speed by replacing the stock vehicle turn signal relay with a solid state version. Again, these are readily available at any auto parts outlet.
The stock turn signal relay in most vehicles is designed for the electrical load on the stock vehicle. For example, in many vehicles you may notice that when one (front or rear) of the turn signal bulb filaments burn out, the turn signals on that side will now flash at an abnormally quick rate.

The more robust solid state turn signal relays can '"flash" a much greater load, for example when you hook up your trailer to your tow vehicle.

It is true that LED lights "turn on" much faster than incandescent bulbs. They respond much more quickly when power is applied to them. They literally "snap" on compared to incandescent bulbs which take a noticeable amount of time for the filament to heat up and glow. This could be considered a plus, or simply a "feature", and hence not so critical.

In general all other things being equal, LED's are brighter and consume less electrical power. In lighting, the future is LED. There is no reason why you can't continue using regular incandescent bulbs. However, LED's are less likely to burn out, as they are advertised as having 100,000 hour lifetimes minimum.

KT
skinorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinorth View Post

There have also been comments on the flashing speed of turn signals if/when LED bulbs are used. I suggest that you can get a steady and predictable flasher speed by replacing the stock vehicle turn signal relay with a solid state version. ...
Indeed, that is one way to deal with it.. anyone thinking of replacing running lights with LEDs should read this:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/blog...rflashing/275/
Or a similar explanation.

And if your vehicle uses CANBus, read this before swamping out bulbs willie-nilly:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/blog...led-bulbs/293/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinorth View Post
However, LED's are less likely to burn out, as they are advertised as having 100,000 hour lifetimes minimum.
Some perhaps but many wont last that long.. ever see a traffic signal with LED clusters and half of them "burnt out?" But LEDs tend to fade over time so at some point they might keep working but wont put out much light, so the lifetime figures are not that much help (even though they will almost always give off enough light much longer than incandescents).

What is the life of LEDs? | LED Lighting Systems | Lighting Answers | NLPIP
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #24

Name: Kees
Trailer: Newmar
Ontario
CANBus used in trailers?

As pointed out by gordon2, LED bulbs are evolving with current "advances" in automotive technology. But I am not aware of any trailers using CANBus implementations. Therefore, I would think that you would be entirely safe if you replaced, for example, an incandescent 1157 or 3057 bulb with an LED equivalent.

Just determine what the bulb type/number is that is currently in use and replace it with the equivalent LED version.

It is important to check the part/type number of the incandescent bulb you wish to replace with an LED. Find yourself the equivalent LED bulb, and you should be good to go.

It is true that early LED implementations seemed to experience a higher level of failure than the "advertised" theoretical. I have noticed that as well. New vehicle lighting implementations seem all to be going to LED's. So it appears that the industry has faith in the technology. I suspect that at least part of the early failures are an example of "bleeding edge" issues.

KT
skinorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #25

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
This is what i installed
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2126.jpg  
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #26

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...47-84-610.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...on/PM436B.html

etrailer has bargman lights i used. They will fit in your light space.
They are bright, look great and you dont have to worry about getting rearended.
I replaced the original lens with a solid red lens, which i stiil have. Tighted the reverse light with other socket. Installed led 1157 style bulbs.
It still wasnt as bright as i like.
Added license plate light, pop rivet ground wire to back of bracket for your ground.
Best $100 i've spent.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #27

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Thanks for the info Mike.
Dave Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #28

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Did you change the lamps Dave ? I installed the same ones Mike used on my 1989 BF17. Work excellent and fairly easy to change over.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, light, lights