Maintenance for new Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #1

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Registry
Maintenance for new Bigfoot

I'm glad to find this community, and hope it helps us to maintain our Bigfoot 25B17FB for a few decades to come. First step was a good wash and wax. I used the Carnauba gel wax that weather Tech sells, and Meguiar's car wash soap. I figure twice a year should be good with some spot cleaning for the birds. What would be the second item for preventive maintenance and about how often should I do it (aside form winter antifreeze)?

Thanks!
Alex
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:36 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Being your TT is new, according to your profile info, there really isn't anything you need to worry about for a while, it's kind of like having a new car for now .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:53 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Twice a year wash and wax for me, too. Bearings every couple of years, depending on how much you use the trailer. Keep an eye on the battery charge and water level (if needed depending on battery type). Pretty simple.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:55 AM   #4

Name: Alex
Washington
Registry
Thanks

Thanks for the input! Seems odd that the axle needs so much more attention compared to an automobile. I get it for the 10+ year old campers, and repacked bearings with my dad back in the day. Sounds like I should be good for our camp across the country next summer. Can’t wait :-)
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:10 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Actually there’s lots of debate about how often you really need to service bearings. Trailer bearings are not manufactured to the same standards. Intermittent use probably doesn’t help.

I have a childhood memory of a failed bearing on our family’s tent trailer. It had the little wheels and the failure at freeway speed broke the spindle, and the wheel was driven up into the trailer.

Lots of things were unusual in that event, so it’s probably not particularly relevant, but it leads me to follow the more conservative recommendations.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #6

Name: T
Arizona
Great posts!

I am no expert but I check brakes annually so the bearings get inspected and greased at the same time just to avoid more work.

As to the rest of the rig I found the Bigfoot manual helpful along with the individual equipment manuals.

It took me hours but I read them all.
Azfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot