Northern lite Hybrid.....found one - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2006, 12:47 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I found this for sale, and it looks "ok" and from the Washington/Oregon area but since it is not mfg anymore, can't find any info. It looks like a hybrid/expandable. Any info would be great!

Not new to RVing, just to these campers.
Kathy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Kathy

We've got some pictures of the Northern Lite in the Albums, click Northern Lite. I can say I've seen one up close and personal....at the Oregon Gathering!

Let me see if I can get you some member/owner names.....

okay, got em:

David Corbett
Louise B
Nancy Beck
Robert Abin

FYI...Robert is the newest member....

If you don't receive any responses from the forum...you maybe should consider sending one or more of them an e-mail
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:08 PM   #3

Thank you very much Donna! That link was a help for sure! I only have gotten to peek into the windows. It isn't in as nice of shape as the pictured ones, but with some elbow grease looks doable.
Thanks again!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:30 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
You had better let me take that. You won't like it.

Really, I know I don't need to be so nice, but for a forum memeber.. it's the least I can do!

You aren't buying that line, are you??? :-P

Great find in any condition. Let us know how it works out and post LOTS of pictures!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #5

Gina D,
Thanks ( I think ) for the very warm and heartfelt welcome!

I saw this unit in an apartment parking lot and has '05 plates, and a for sale sign. I have left 2 messages so far and no answer. I wish he would return my call to get a price to even see if it will be worth my while, or not wasting my time researching it! Gotta lotta betta tings to doo!
Old 09-26-2006, 07:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I really, really like the concept of the Northern Lite...it's the best of both worlds. No matter how much I love my lightweight molded fiberglass trailer, there is some great things about sleeping in a tent on a warm (NOT hot) night, in a quiet spot...particularly if there's a bubbling brook nearby. This trailer gives the owner both options, tent portion if wanted/needed, or not...as desired

Good luck Kathy, I hope the current owner gets back to you soon
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #7

Actually, that is what I am really interested in knowing the condition of, and the repair costs. If too broken, will need to figure out what I can do with that drop down......where is Go-Go Gadget if I need him?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Kathy,
As you may already know, Northern Lite is still in business. They only make truck campers now. I wish they still made trailers. The photos look like they built a nice unit. Tom Trostel

http://www.northern-lite.com/
Old 09-27-2006, 08:03 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs down

Quote:
I saw this unit in an apartment parking lot and has '05 plates, and a for sale sign. I have left 2 messages so far and no answer. [b]I wish he would return my call to get a price to even see if it will be worth my while, or not wasting my time researching it! Gotta lotta betta tings to doo!
Hang in there! It took me 3 weeks to connect with my Fiber Stream after I first saw it, and called...
Keep calling!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:21 PM   #10

Thanks Tom and Fredrick!

I do know about the Northern lite being only TC's, I had a TC for a few years. Miss it. I went by it today with my husband to get a better look at it and see what he thought. He has called him today also (thinking male voice may be taken more seriously even though I am the RV Queen in the family!)

It looks like it just needs sprucing, and we did open the front folddown tenting door and that needs repair (the door). No biggy though. The tenting didn't smell moldy and looks like he kept up with it since the seams had waterproofing on them. Don't know about the strenth/structure of the framing.

Hubby stated wanting to put in a outside shower (don't think it has one inside....can't find out if it does either) but told him that we have to figure out first what size the FWT is! May make a real short shower! I know I can get away with a 25 gal tank for a weekend w/taking 4 good showers and not running out.

I am rambling. I am so impatient, but at least hubby and I have decided how much we would offer. Wish me luck, and that I make a love connection!
Old 09-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hubby stated wanting to put in a outside shower (don't think it has one inside....can't find out if it does either) but told him that we have to figure out first what size the [b]FWT is!
The bathroom and shower are directly across from entrance door, directly behind the "Hybrid Room" toward the front of the trailer. At least that's the way the one I saw in Oregon at the Gathering was.

What's a [b]FWT?

I retired from the military in 1994 and have since forgotten how to speak "acronym."
Old 09-28-2006, 09:21 PM   #12

I just wasn't sure if it even has a shower inside the camper. Maybe just a dry toilet area. Cool if it is a WB! (Wet bath)

Thanks for serving our country!!

FWT is Fresh Water Tank. I am pretty good at these. I have been a RV.net member for a long time.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Kathy C.,
We haven't heard from you lately. Did they want too much money, no contact yet, condition lousy when you finally looked inside, none of the appliances worked or...? Obviously not everyone has a success story, but we were all pulling for you So give us the details please, great or grim so we can cheer or commiserate as is appropriate.
We're here to share both the wins and the woes,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #14

Funny you posted! Heard from the guy just a few hours ago, and he wants too much for it I think, but says it is negotiable.... he asked $7500. I don't think it is worth that with the condition it is in, but haven't seen the inside but thru the windows. I could buy a brand new TT for not too much more with a warranty. I like these fiberglass RV's though.

Hubby is in Texas and is going to call him and see what that "negotiable" price could be...he is better at that since he is in sales anyhow! The gentleman does sound like a character and was going out of town tomorrow. Will see what happens.

I have a camping trip the end of this month that I have to get my tenting gear rounded up with. I purchased a Cabelas XL cot and it is nice and comfy. We often go tenting anyhow, even when we had a RV.

I did get a brochure from Casita in the mail. So, may be back to the drawing board in my small TT. I see you have one!

Quote:
Kathy C.,
We haven't heard from you lately. Did they want too much money, no contact yet, condition lousy when you finally looked inside, none of the appliances worked or...? Obviously not everyone has a success story, but we were all pulling for you So give us the details please, great or grim so we can cheer or commiserate as is appropriate.
We're here to share both the wins and the woes,
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Kathy C.,
We are no different than everyone else when it comes to expressing our feelings for our fiberglass TT. We love her and she has been extensively customized to fit our needs so that we couldn't consider a replacement. Most of the normal extra bells and whistles, two different frame alterations, 3000 watt Yamaha generator converted to propane and on and on.

We are in the throes of a major remodel of our home (nearly doubling it's size) and "Nuestra Casita" has been functioning as the bedroom for many months. We interrupted
construction be taking a 4000+ mile, 5 week trip through California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana in June and July. We also got away for a week-end to camp with friends at a favorite campground less than an hour from home. Now trying to convince Ann that we should make it to the Lake Casitas Rally the end of the month, but we'll see if it works out.

Back to your dream. You might try printing some on-line ads showing size, age, condition and prices. Once you've seen the inside you can also make a list of obvious things which are going to cost you money to fix. Tires, battery, things which don't work, painting or polishing if needed, greasing wheel bearings, cracked windows, etc. can all affect the price.

We hope your efforts are successful and you are able to obtain it without too much stretching of your budget.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #16

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Kathy, what's the latest? Enquiring minds want to know!

$7500 is probably NOT unreasonable for a '99 in reasonably good condition. Northern Lite and Bigfoot are cousins... probably share some kind of relationship in that somebody left one to start the other or something. They're very similar in design (except, of course for the canvas end in the Northern Lite). Anyway, my point is that if it's as high quality unit as Bigfoot is, that price is about what they're going for. Check out the prices of recent used Bigfoot sales!

Happy negotiating!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #17

Hi Kurt ( Hang in there with the remodeling!) and Roger,

My husband has left the guy a message, and waiting to hear back. The unit is still there, I looked yesterday when going into town. It seems solid, but not in that great of condition for its age and is why I felt that it was over priced, especially since it is a discontinued mfg.

I have been pricing small RV's, and sorry to say that many people think their used items are worth more than they really are and then just sit, when you can purchase brand new for a few dollars more w/ warranty - parts availability and not needing a crystal ball/knowing what that units history is. Especially if a unit has been sitting.

Have been waiting to hear back from Casita. I sent an email asking 11 questions on the 5th, since their brochure and website didn't have the answers. I like to do it that way because I don't like the phone! I know....silly! May just have to do that. I just don't want to get salespitched!

Thank you again for the replies! I appreciate it very much!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #18

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Feel free to give Casita a call. I think you'll find that the last thing on the minds at either Casita or Scamp is a sales pitch. They'll answer your questions and take your money when you're ready, but I don't recall ever hearing about any high pressure tactics from either company. They just don't need to; both have waiting lists for their products with deposits taken.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #19

Thanks again Roger!
Glad to hear no pressure. I will give them a buzz.
Kathy
Old 10-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #20

Well guys,
I was shopping yesterday a good 2.5 hrs away from home checking out different brands. Received a phone call from the Northwood owner. My husband had left a message saying about what we would offer on it.
We are going to check it out at 4:00 tomorrow!!
Keeping fingers crossed! Wish me luck!
I really don't want to tent camp and this will give me 2 weeks to get it ready.

I see a buffer job in my future!

Tags
northern lite