New to me northern lite - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #21

Name: Denise
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Window resealing

Hi Joanna,

I’m in Kelowna and have a ‘74 Trillium. I took it to one of the *major* and supposedly reputable RV dealers in Vernon 2 years ago to be have the front window checked for leaks, as I had suddenly started getting gallons of water in the front compartment when it rained, and especially if I was pulling it in the rain.

They suggested resealing all the windows, since they were 40 years old and had never been done as far as I knew, so I decided to splurge on the preventive maintenance. Long story short, I paid almost $600 ... and went from having a front window that possibly leaked, to having FOUR windows that leaked like sieves! They refused to acknowledge any accountability at all, zero. So I was $600 out of pocket and forced to find someone else to fix the problem.

The real kicker was, after doing some research on this forum, I realized that my original leak was more likely at the bellyband, and not the front window at all. After talking to many of the RV places in the Okanagan, I took it to a *small guy* outfit and he managed to reseal the bellyband and windows so I was leak free again

My lesson learned? Most of the big RV dealers have little interest and zero expertise working on our little old trailers. If anyone in the BC interior has found a decent and capable place to deal with, I’d be very happy to hear of it!

Feel free to PM me and I’d be happy to share names with you, good and bad.

Denise
Old 04-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #22

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise T View Post
My lesson learned? Most of the big RV dealers have little interest and zero expertise working on our little old trailers.
Denise
Yeah. I came to that conclusion some time ago.
That's why when I had my awning replaced I had a small local shop I had previous experience with do the job at $70/hr instead of the big national outfit at $140/hr.

Walt
Old 04-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #23

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
water leak

You could of removed the windows your self and done a good job, not hard to reseal windows but the belly band I have no idea about and would need help.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #24

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Nice trailer! It looks really nice. Very very similar looking materials to Bigfoot, which isn't a surprise. Mine is a 91 and the windows are surprisingly good. I wouldn't worry about them unless they actually leak. I did reseal one of my windows last summer (I really hope it was the source of my leak, and not the belly band...), and it was really easy. And while I don't disagree with Jon, I disagree with Jon Resealing windows, and really any other job, is certainly more fun and a bit easier with two people, but it's no problem at all with one person.

The window has been in place for so long, it's typically pretty well seated. Once you get out all the screws from the inside, it still takes some prying to get it to come out. On the rare chance that it's ready to just fall out once the last screw comes out, I leaned a ladder against it from the outside, just something to apply a little pressure to keep it from falling in case it was going to. Duct tape would also work great.

Another vote for staying far, far away from RV dealerships. They're ridiculously priced, and the work often doesn't come close to being worth the cost.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #25

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Very nice trailer. Not sure what you had to pay for it but it looks to be in wonderful shape.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:45 PM   #26

Name: Suzanne and Boe
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Looks great!

Congratulations on your new trailer!! It looks great for the age! You will found out more than you might want to know going thru all the threads but all good advice. Pick what you need! Safe travels!
Boe and Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #27

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise T View Post
Hi Joanna,

I’m in Kelowna and have a ‘74 Trillium. I took it to one of the *major* and supposedly reputable RV dealers in Vernon 2 years ago to be have the front window checked for leaks, as I had suddenly started getting gallons of water in the front compartment when it rained, and especially if I was pulling it in the rain.

They suggested resealing all the windows, since they were 40 years old and had never been done as far as I knew, so I decided to splurge on the preventive maintenance. Long story short, I paid almost $600 ... and went from having a front window that possibly leaked, to having FOUR windows that leaked like sieves! They refused to acknowledge any accountability at all, zero. So I was $600 out of pocket and forced to find someone else to fix the problem.

The real kicker was, after doing some research on this forum, I realized that my original leak was more likely at the bellyband, and not the front window at all. After talking to many of the RV places in the Okanagan, I took it to a *small guy* outfit and he managed to reseal the bellyband and windows so I was leak free again

My lesson learned? Most of the big RV dealers have little interest and zero expertise working on our little old trailers. If anyone in the BC interior has found a decent and capable place to deal with, I’d be very happy to hear of it!

Feel free to PM me and I’d be happy to share names with you, good and bad.

Denise
I haven't had any leaks to fix, but I've had some work--one emergency sort of, done by Omak RV if you want to drive a bit. I think they are OK. They are not dealers although they do have some used RVs for sale.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #28

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
Northern Lite trailer windows seals.

First off, I am no expert on Northern Lite trailers so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. It appears from the close up photo of your window that you have a rubber sealed window with a lock strip. This is a common method of installing window glass. If I properly recall my 54 Ford had a system like that. My 72 Boler also uses that system front and back. if that is the case I would suggest finding a local auto glass shop that can match up the rubber seal. I know that there are several fiberglass trailer forums that will have a link to a supplier. This is an "easy" to moderate project. you might check out a couple of vintage car shows to look at window sealing methods. Many of those dudes and ladies know how to replace auto glass or can recommend someone who can as it is a part of restoration. Replace the rubber seal and lock strip on all the windows that use that system and the problem will be fixed.

Try this link for an idea of what to do. This is from the UK but it is good info.

Adding butyl rubber to a hardened rubber seal will work for possibly a full season and it will be leaking again. If you replace the rubber it will be good for at least 15 to 20 years with luck. On the Boler the side glass is riveted in and uses butyl rubber. Our little fiberglass trailers were not meant to be in existence 20+ years after the fact. The reality is these bullet proof trailers were built cheap out of materials that just LAST. I suspect this was not the original intent of the manufacturers. They were sold cheap and built cheap and intended to last about 8 to 10 years. Most of us love our little "vacation homes" They fit the bill of an affordable portable shelter that also hauls all of our junk to wherever in the world we decide our vehicular navigation skills will allow us to go. My frame is about 3 x stronger than the original. I am planning on adding skid plates to the bottom to help it over the rocks in the future. Leaving Sunday afternoon for another short trip! Enjoy your camper. I may not be on the web for a while as it is low on my horizon. Enjoy!
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
northern lite