Oxygen underfloor heat? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 11:35 PM   #1

Name: Ralph
Trailer: Oxygen
Alberta
Thumbs up Oxygen underfloor heat?

Greetings from Peace River ,has anyone installed under floor heat with a circulating heater?
Ralph L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:02 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Many times in houses, but never in an Oxygen.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:28 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Topic comes up every so often, circulating hot water through the floor, various schemes for heating the water but I'm not aware anyone thought it was worth actually tearing up a trailer to do it.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #4

Alberta
Thanks guys I'll just install a conventional furnace,path of least resistance,lol
Old 04-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #5

Alberta
Thanks
Old 04-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I think you are talking about the Propex heater that mounts under the camper and is vented into the cabin. https://www.propexheatsource.com/

I also have an Oxygen and it came stock with a catalytic heater. The nice thing about a catalytic is that it doesn't require any electricity. The bad thing is that it's scary going to sleep wondering if you'll wake up lol.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #7

Alberta
Mine came with one as well ,not worth the risk , I've got to much country to explore, planning Reynolds museum June 8-9 and Hope BC egg June 14-15 . My son is on the fence for my other oxy , would be nice to see 2 camped side by side!👍🚐🚐
Old 04-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #8

Registry
Wow a two Oxygen family. Where/how did you come by 2 Oxygens? I got mine from a fella in Edmonton.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:39 PM   #9

Alberta
I found my first after a 3 year search in wainwright,luckily he was also a car guy.The second I found last fall in Edmonton , may still paint it seafrost silver and pull it behind a colour matched 03 Lincoln Mark viii. Oxygens are like my riv people love them or hate them. I found them to be the perfect useful classic car acc that introduced me to a whole new inspired group of people.Because it's so different people aren't shy to start picnick table stories beside it.Do find that as well?
Old 04-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #10

Alberta
Thanks for the propex website Steve ,learned something new today!��
Old 04-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #11

Registry
I have found that if you don't want to be noticed you don't want to own an Oxygen. Everywhere I go I get asked tons of questions about it. I have people walk up and take photos while I'm getting gas or food etc. I have been making the rounds at the fiberglass rallies and the attention has been overwhelming at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph L View Post
I found my first after a 3 year search in wainwright,luckily he was also a car guy.The second I found last fall in Edmonton , may still paint it seafrost silver and pull it behind a colour matched 03 Lincoln Mark viii. Oxygens are like my riv people love them or hate them. I found them to be the perfect useful classic car acc that introduced me to a whole new inspired group of people.Because it's so different people aren't shy to start picnick table stories beside it.Do find that as well?
Old 04-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #12

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
I just saw last week a converted bus with underfloor heat. Coils were under a plywood floor. Hot water was provided by a diesel heater.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #13

Alberta
Hi Doug I was going to try the same thing with a spare sprinter diesel preheater I have but another fuel tank with different fuel and complication makes that propane powered propex look like the simple solution ,floor heat is comfy though.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
One of the questions I almost always ask myself when I want to make major changes to something that might not be standard. The question "If this such a good idea why isn't being done now?".

I've found that usually there a reason that may not be obvious until get into a project. Then you find out the why hasn't been before.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:03 PM   #15

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
One of the questions I almost always ask myself when I want to make major changes to something that might not be standard. The question "If this such a good idea why isn't being done now?".

I've found that usually there a reason that may not be obvious until get into a project. Then you find out the why hasn't been before.
Probably a few of the biggest reasons why it's not done are: The standard forced air heat that we all have is cheap and everyone knows what it is, but that doesn't mean it's better. Radiant floor heat will take up about an inch of headroom, by adding that thickness to the floor. It's more complicated than the forced air system, and there is a chance of freezing the water if no anti-freeze is put in.

But it could certainly be more comfortable and quieter.

A lot of contractors build houses with the same theory. Cheap and common, over comfort and quality.

Apparently, Bowlus has floor hydronic heating, but I haven't seen their system.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita
Vermont
Underfloor heat

Google Swedish “Cabby” caravans and other European RV and you will see that many have underfloor heating and many features we do not have. They can be used in winter
Johninvermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:10 AM   #17

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
Registry
O2 heat.

I'm still using the catalytic heater that came with my O². I keep waking up in the morning. ☺
I've thought about a furnace, but don't like the noise. The hydronic heating is a neat idea, but one would have to insulate the floor better I think. It just has a honeycomb type of insulation now. I think as much heat would be radiated outside as in.
Pete Drewcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #18

Name: Lars
Trailer: Lookin
Manitoba
heating alternatives

greetings.
I know this is an older thread but came across it while looking at Oxygen related threads/topics in hopes of finding someone considering selling.

Thanks for the propex link. Always interested interested in different heating systems.

THe nuCamp Tab line uses a combo system that heats water and circulates to provide unit heating. Its the Alde system.

The diesel webasto system is maybe what Ralph has a spare one of from a sprinter? I think some of the van and cube conversion folks like those as they can just run from their tank.
LarsLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #19

Smith Valley, Nevada
The heat source is the easy part. A standard 6 gallon propane water heater would be just fine for that, and it is already in place and working. A diesel heater would be nice, but it would not change the function or comfort level inside, and it will have to have fuel .

The circulator is nothing more than a small centrifugal pump, drawing about an amp or two. It is controlled by a wall thermostat in a 12 volt loop. Easy. Actually, there would be two of these because the floor loop should be filled with a propylene glygol solution. Pink RV antifreeze would be fine. A small heat exchanger will exchange the heat from the water in the water heater, to the floor loop, while keeping the waters separate. All of this will likely fit behind that water heater in a small compartment and occupy less volume than a shoe box. The tubing can be 1/2" OD and be arranged along the floor about 4" apart with narrow strips of plywood between. Then a finish floor installed over that. Some headroom, about 1 1/4" is lost, so there may be some changes to interior cabinets that swing next to the floor. A waterproof insulation layer underneath would reduce heat loss. The system can also be used to prevent freezing of the fresh water system, so some loss of heat into those lines is desirable.

Tags
oxygen