1976 trillium 1300 -- butyl tape for win with rock guard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #1

Name: Bernie
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
Illinois
1976 trillium 1300 -- butyl tape for win with rock guard

The front window has the rock guard. The rock guard frame sits just outside the window mounting flange on top and sides. It seems like the butyl tape for top and sides should be wider such that it would go under win flange and rock guard frame.

I have read almost all the window redo threads on this site. 3/4" and 1" wide butyl tape is all I have heard recommended.

Thoughts?
cocorom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:04 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
It is a rock guard, it is not meant to be water tight. If the trim strip around the edge of the guard is old and hard, you can replace it so it won't wear on the side of the trailer but it is not meant to seal.

You do, however, need to use Butyl tape at the points where the rock guard's brackets mount to the trailer.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:04 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Rock guard mounts separately, independent of window. So mount the window first. Then put down additional butyl tape and mount rock guard.

IMHO, it needs to be sealed, as it is attached to the same pieces of plywood that the window is attached to. So if water leaks in, its going to rot out the same wood.

In my case, there were NO signs that there was ever anything under the rock guard framing. The window frames clearly had butyl tape under them. And I had by far the most rot on the front window plywood, more than the rest of the trailer combined.

If you have a gaucho model, then the top bunk is attached to the same window wood.

In the case of the Trillium rock guard, it has a very similar aluminum frame that the guard attaches to, similar to the window framing.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:20 PM   #4

Illinois
Sorry for not being more clear. I will definitely be sealing under the rock guard with butyl tape.

It seems more efficient to use 1.5" wide tape to go under the win flange and the guard as opposed to .75" for the win and a seperate .75" for the guard.

I am surprised that I haven't run into this topic in all the threads I have looked at.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:00 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I like just having one width tape, and I buy it multiple rolls at a time.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:21 AM   #6

Illinois
Bill, I like your logic. Do you use 3/4" or 1"?

Is this the stuff (disregard the width)?
https://www.amazon.com/White-Butyl-T...83&sr=8-1&th=1

Or, is there something better?

Tags
trillium