Deciding on Bigfoot purchase vs Escape? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #21

Name: gail
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Hi Gail,
I have a Bigfoot 19, and am seriously considering upgrading to a Bigfoot 21 or Escape 21. The reason is that my husband has recently retired & we need a larger bed that is separate from the dinette.

I really love camping in my Bigfoot. It is wide, has lots of windows & storage, and it’s well insulated. It has a relatively large & well designed marine bath.

I have seen several rear bed models for Bigfoot 21s. They are comfortable, queen beds. The Escape 21 bed size is a smaller, double.

The complaint expressed by BF owners regarding the bed is that it is hard to make because it is against the wall. Have no idea if Escape owners have similar problem with their beds. I have no idea if the BF 21’s front bed model has a different configuration.

The front dinette on the Bigfoot & Escape are similar in design. However, the Escape Industries will customize the tables. If you go on the escape forum site, you can see many discussions surrounding these dinettes.

Based on pictures I have seen, the bathroom in the Bigfoot seems larger & easier to enter. The shower area seems larger as well. I have to say that the older I get the more important it is for me to comfortably navigate the cabin. I do appreciate a well designed bathroom.

I have no reason to believe that the outside fiberglass on either Escape or Bigfoot tends to chip. Both trailers are well built. Obviously, if you brush against another object (ie fence, car, garage opening) you will see chipping.

You really need to see a Bigfoot and Escape ‘21. Both companies have a list of owners willing to show their trailers. My sense is that the Bigfoot will offer more overall comfort.

Now, one thing you should consider is the relative weight of each trailer. The Escape 21 weighs 5000 Lbs max (fully equipped for camping). The BF 21 is 1500-2000 lbs heavier than an Escape (all that extra fiberglass and storage). Accordingly, in addition to the price of gas, you need to think about your tow vehicle. I have a Chevy Tahoe, which has a GVWR of 7200 lbs. The Escape 21 is well within my tow capacity. The Bigfoot 21, however, is at the top end. And, I really don’t want to buy a truck for the trailer. (The nice thing about our Tahoe is we can take it to fancy restaurants).

For me, the weight differential may be a dealbreaker.

Good luck.
Hi Jane, Yes weight if the big plus for the Escape. But we decided that it too will be getting up their loaded to pull with a small truck. So we have deiced to with the 21'fb Bigfoot. Just can't compromise that much for the insulation and quality. We love the layout of the escape, but we want to be comfortable in the cold and heat with no ac.

The bed in the escape will be just as bad to make, better getting out of at the end than the Bigfoot. Bigfoot is more open on the one side with side table.
the bathroom is a wet bath in the escape, large but no storage. vs a dry bath with storage, way nicer.
As you know the storage in bigfoots are well made and way heavier than escape. As far as space for moving around inside, I think the escape is better even though it;s only 7' wide.

It was a very tough call for us. But like yourselves we had a well insulated trailer we sold to go smaller. And we just couldn't give up the comfort a well insulated trailer gives you, for the type of camping we do. And knowing how well built they are. The escape are good. But no comparison to the Bigfoot. But the aim is to keep it light and have done a very good job and have talked to lots of happy owners on are travels. Good luck with your chose, It's a real hard decision. cost besides. Gail
gail in PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gail in PG View Post
Hi Jane, Yes weight if the big plus for the Escape. But we decided that it too will be getting up their loaded to pull with a small truck. So we have deiced to with the 21'fb Bigfoot Gail
Gail, IMHO you can’t go wrong with a Bigfoot. What I have learned is that there is no perfect trailer - everything requires compromise.

However, I do want to caution you about the TV you will be using. You described it as a “small truck”. I use my FG trailer for my dog hobby. I train my own dogs to compete in AKC Hunt tests & field trials. So my TV carries dog training equipment, water, outer wear for me & my 65+ LB dogs who travel in crates. The trailer carries all our provisions, towing & camping equipment plus our luggage.

When calculating your vehicle’s tow capacity, you need to combine the total weight carried in your TV behind the front axle, with your trailers’ when fully loaded for camping. This composite weight needs to be within the GVWR of your TV. IF THAT IS NOT THE CASE, YOU TOW AT GREAT RISK.

Of course there are other considerations regarding tongue weight vis a vie trailer weight behind the axle. But if your TV cannot safely tow the trailer, all these other secondary considerations are meaningless.

BTW, you can easily determine the GVWR of any vehicle via the Internet by submitting the year and model.

So, my personal dilemma is that, at 5000 Lbs, a fully loaded Escape is well within my 7300 GVWR. The Bigfoot 21 combined with my equipment is close to that maximum. I’d need to ask the seller the weight of any particular BF 21 trailer. If I feel safe towing it, hubby & I need to discuss the BF’s lower gas milage. And I really can’t discount the additional travel cost associated with that choice.

Once again, best of luck with your decision. Hope to see you on the road so we can tour our new trailers.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:06 PM   #23

Name: Bill
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Gail, IMHO you can’t go wrong with a Bigfoot. What I have learned is that there is no perfect trailer - everything requires compromise.

However, I do want to caution you about the TV you will be using. You described it as a “small truck”. I use my FG trailer for my dog hobby. I train my own dogs to compete in AKC Hunt tests & field trials. So my TV carries dog training equipment, water, outer wear for me & my 65+ LB dogs who travel in crates. The trailer carries all our provisions, towing & camping equipment plus our luggage.

When calculating your vehicle’s tow capacity, you need to combine the total weight carried in your TV behind the front axle, with your trailers’ when fully loaded for camping. This composite weight needs to be within the GVWR of your TV. IF THAT IS NOT THE CASE, YOU TOW AT GREAT RISK.

Of course there are other considerations regarding tongue weight vis a vie trailer weight behind the axle. But if your TV cannot safely tow the trailer, all these other secondary considerations are meaningless.

BTW, you can easily determine the GVWR of any vehicle via the Internet by submitting the year and model.

So, my personal dilemma is that, at 5000 Lbs, a fully loaded Escape is well within my 7300 GVWR. The Bigfoot 21 combined with my equipment is close to that maximum. I’d need to ask the seller the weight of any particular BF 21 trailer. If I feel safe towing it, hubby & I need to discuss the BF’s lower gas milage. And I really can’t discount the additional travel cost associated with that choice.

Once again, best of luck with your decision. Hope to see you on the road so we can tour our new trailers.
We have a 2007 Bigfoot 21RB that we tow with a RAM 1500 Ecodiesel. Works really well and the fuel burn is good at 13-15 litres per 100 km. That’s about 14 or 15 mpg US, OR 19-20 mpg Imperial. I’ve weighed the trailer when fully loaded for camping (water, propane, food, clothing, etc. And it came in at just over 5500 lbs.

A good used Bigfoot can be had for less than 30k CAD. New they are more than 50k.

We have camped in -10 celcius with no problems. That was with the furnace on overnight set to the lowest setting. It was 5 degrees inside when we woke in the morning!
Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:42 PM   #24

Name: WALT
Washington
Look For an Older Bigfoot...

Our 2004 17 CB Bigfoot is a dream; best features are: big front and back windows and 2 more passenger side windows make for lots of light and great views; we feel like we are sitting outside (some people don't like the 'living in a fishbowl' effect, but we love it and wouldn't own any rig that had a crawl-over queen bed, which is what you get instead of the front window in newer models).
We have a full size RV fridge, an oven with the 3 burner range, and full wet bath; so much storage that we have to take care to not go overweight; we use both bed options, the fold-down gaucho and the break down dinette, which are both very comfortable; the dinette fits my 6' height with plenty of room to spare.
After 15 years (we bought it at 10 years old in excellent condition for $15K), I still get a great exterior shine, and folks can't believe it is that old; we've had a window gasket replaced, a Maxx fan installed, and I recently replaced the brake assemblies, but otherwise very few repairs; the furnace warms us fast and is very quiet, as is the fresh water pump; Bigfoot used very good appliances. Don't know about that with the new models, but I expect they still do.
The original upholstery still looks great, as does the interior wood cabinetry; they were built to last (hence they hold value well); I can't think of a single thing bad to say, EXCEPT FOR: the 9 gallon black water tank; we solve that problem with a 10 gallon blue boy; with that, 2 six gallon Igloo fresh water bottles, 2 - 12 volt AGM batteries and 225 watts of solar power, we can boondock in one spot for weeks, especially if pit toilets are available.
Ours is the 1500 series, which means 1" wall thickness vs the newer 2" (I believe the new ones are 2" but not certain); probably a little warmer while winter boondocking, but not sure the price of a new one makes that worthwhile; we have found you can't really use onboard water in freezing temps because the fresh and gray tanks are exposed, as are the dump valves; we just bring warm clothes, good sleeping bags and bottled water. But for the other 3 seasons, you will be traveling in style and comfort. More often than not, fellow campers will ask for a tour, and we've even had a line of kids waiting to see the Bigfoot before we are backed into our site!

I recently encountered a couple who were on their first trip in their new (to them) 1989 Bigfoot 17G; I asked for the tour, and have to say theirs was in almost as good shape as ours, especially the interior, and they paid $5500 Canadian. My advice would be find yourself a used one in excellent condition; you will probably have to travel to find the one you want, but you will save lots of $$, and once it's yours, you can trick it out just the way you want and head on down the road with a big smile on your face! Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Bigfoot2.jpg   Bigfoot1.jpg  

WALT2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:18 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
I’m not sure where you came up with those price figures. A very nicely configured 2018 Oliver Elite II 23.5 foot could be had for $60K. Even with every option available from the factory you would come in under $70K. That’s a lot of money for sure but with your figures you could have bought the Oliver and the Casita.

I support Steve Outlaw's post above. I purchased a 2018 Oliver Elite II, very well outfitted for $62K. My delivery was in May 2018.
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:24 PM   #26

Name: GG
Illinois
We own a 2015 Bigfoot 25'. Love it! "All season" means not only warmer in cold, but cooler in hot. Front storage container also provides space for all the essentials.

No cracks to fiber glass shell. Interior/exterior in excellent condition.

We've come to a point of needing a new tow vehicle. Considering all options....including selling the Bigfoot. Get with me if interested.
Recycle...ride your bike again.
oldsgg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, escape