no longer egg-less! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-26-2006, 02:08 PM   #21

Trailer: 16 ft Casita and 1973 Compact Jr / 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Linda:
Just a thought here, crawl under there and check all the bolts holding the "Body" to the frame, after sitting so long unattended, they may have rusted badly.
Emmit D. Acklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Also, is it likely that I can clean it without having to replace the ensolite? It isn't torn anywhere that I have found yet, its just moldy.
Linda, my Navy surplus winter project Scamps interior was encrusted with grime and mold. I washed the Ensolite walls with TSP and then used Tilex mold and mildew remover. It worked great.
Most of the mold was were the Ensnolilte overlapped the floor. I cut the Ensolite back to a point were it does not touch the floor. I think the Ensolite acts as a sponge and does not allow moisture to evaporate. It has been about 3 months and I do not have any mold or mildew.

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Does anyone know if there is something I can use after I get it clean to help stop regrowth of mold?...
ScotchGuard makes a spray liquid that halts mold growth cold. I bought a spraybottle of it at Lowe's and it works great.

ConwayBob
Old 12-26-2006, 08:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
Yipee, Linda!

Congratulations on your new boler. I know that you have been looking for a long time. I am glad that this one was meant to be.

I hope to see you at the Oregon gathering.

Good luck and have fun with the cleaning.

Charlene
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:13 PM   #25

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Merry Christmas Linda!! It looks like you must have been a verrry good person this year. My Love Bug was in the similar condition, I had to drive 950 miles each way and I paid $900. I still consider it a good deal. It will require alot of time and effort but you can fix it up. I washed the Bugs interior with TSP to clean it, followed by bleach to kill the mold and mildew. Use fans to stay safe when using these cleaners. They can be dangerous. Make sure to wear safety equipment such as a good respirator, safety glasses, and good quality gloves to keep the TSP and bleach off of your skin. Also remember to wear old clothes when using the bleach, the clothes will probably be ruined.

One thing that people sometimes forget, when trying to get extra cleaning power, they mix products. DON'T DO IT. Some products can react and give off gasses that will kill you. An example is bleach and ammonia. This is just one combination.

After I got mine clean, I used a primer called Kilz. It contains a mold and mildew inhibitor. I fixed my Bug up 2 years ago and have not had any problems since.

Good luck with the project. It will seem like you are going nowhere for a while but your effort will be worth it.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi Linda, congrats on your aquisition of the Boler Honey... ..I have one but decaling is different than yours....no bees on mine....you can see it on my web shots site.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:55 AM   #27

Trailer: Boler Honey
Thanks for all the good advice and encouragement. I am so glad to know the mold can be stopped. I had a bit of a mold problem in one bathroom and became ill before I realized it was there behind some drywall. The ensolite being spongelike had worried me, but from the sounds of it, it can be cleaned up and stopped.
It does sound like I might need to replace the window first to be sure I don't get more water and stagnant air.

The warning about mixing chemicals is noted and will be heeded. No point in asphyxiating myself and missing all the good camping!

Bob Cupp, it sounds like I got a really good deal, even in comparison to yours. Im glad I waited.
Conway Bob, we have a new Lowe's opening here soon. I have a feeling I will be a regular customer.
Charlene, thanks for the congrats. I do sorta feel like this was meant to be.
Emmitt, when weather permits, I will be jacking the bug up and checking the underside as well as replacing tires and maybe wheels.
Benny, I'll be checking your pics. Im glad there is another boler honey owner for a resource. (I like my bee decals...I hope they don't come off in the wash!)

Questions:
1. What do you think of adding electric brakes? It seems like a good idea and not too hard to do.
2. I've noticed a lot of folks have put in some sort of "engineered" flooring like pergo or hardwood. Does this help with anything besides aesthetics? My trailer doesn't have any sort of carpet or tile, just sort of a textured floor that appears to be fiberglass.
3. What should I look for to determine if the axle needs to be replaced?
4. How do I reattach the upper cabinets?
5. Any idea how I can get a front window shield/canopy? That is one item that is missing. Or is there a good way to make replacements?

I've been checking all the posts about things people wish they had done, and am duly noting them. I now have to go back through the posts about how to do all the things I think I want to do!

Its supposed to be sunny but cold this weekend. Hopefully I'll get out there and get something done! If not, maybe I'll go buy a respirator.

Thanks again...
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #28

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I really like the idea of having brakes. If the existing axle has the flanges to which the brake backing plates attach, then it is easy and I would probably do it., especially if the tow vehicle is less than a full-sized pickup truck. If the axle needs to be replaced anyway, I would definitely get the new one with brakes.

I have laminate flooring in my house. In the trailer, if I had a fiberglass floor (my Boler has sheet vinyl flooring over plywood) I would leave it alone, and make up loose fitted carpet sections which could be easily lifted out for cleaning; I see no advantage another hard flooring product, and I personally don't like the laminate material anyway.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper