scrambled egg - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 1987 Casita 16 ft / Dodge Dakota Sport V6
Quote:
Thanks, G. re: PS...True words. Been there.

Was the piece welded on the inner side or on the outer side of the frame profile? Inside meaning it cannot be seen from the road, Outer side meaning it could, and I assume either way the angle [b]"L" lapped and got welded to side and bottom of the [b]frame box, right?
Right,
Mine was welded on the outside, access is a little easier on the outside but, either way would work . the idea is to have enough angle length to reach "good metal" on the frame
fore and aft of the bend. A welder should be able to reenforce an undamages frame in an hour or so.
gerald rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 Trillium Outback
Gerald,

Glad to hear everything worked out OK in your close call and that you and the trailer are good to go again.

If memory isn't failing me: commercial trailers generally use I-beam construction because of the loads they carry (usually built with camber), while the rigs pulling the trailers use C-channel frames to allow them to flex under the torsional load when accelerating. Box-tube framing for a recreational trailer is usually strong and flexible enough for its intended use and load. A weld is stronger than a bend (less molecular distortion) and a proper weld is stronger than the metal plates being welded.
Robert B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft

Click image for larger version

Name:	burro_001.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	7877

Myron, the original owner of my Burro did a reinforcement using angle iron. It runs to the axel with spot welds along the way. This may be a bit on the strong side but little danger of failure. I am trying to attach a photo.
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:52 AM   #24

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Wow, Rusty that's some heavy duty reinforcement job! I just had my weld guy reinforce the frame on mine last week. He assured me his (mild by comparison) triangulation of the pinch as seen here would be more than adequate and would outlast the frame. There were a few small stress cracks which he also closed up.

I originally told him I wanted him to bend a 24 inch long angle iron and weld it along the outer bottom of the tube but he said that much welding would have the fire dept hosing down the Burro. OK, I said, you're the expert.
Attached Thumbnails
Frameweld.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:33 AM   #25

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Interesting photo, Myron...just looking at that kink in the bend of the original angle iron would be enough to sell me on reinforcement! Are many egg frames bent and kinked like that?
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #26

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Gee whiz! Got to be a pain in the rear to have that happen. I can't add any more than what's been said but at least you couldn't have had a better place to get stuck. Love Blowing Rock. Wondered where you camped nearby. My favorite is Julian Price. Where the mountain laurel/rhododendren blooming yet around there?
Don't mean to demean your problem but couldn't help it.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #27

Trailer: 1987 Casita 16 ft / Dodge Dakota Sport V6
Quote:
Gee whiz! Got to be a pain in the rear to have that happen. I can't add any more than what's been said but at least you couldn't have had a better place to get stuck. Love Blowing Rock. Wondered where you camped nearby. My favorite is Julian Price. Where the mountain laurel/rhododendren blooming yet around there?
Don't mean to demean your problem but couldn't help it.
Chris,
We had to go off the parkway to camp as the campgrounds on the parkwayn close to blowing rock were still closed till may 30th. I can't remember the name of the campground but it was a good sam park next to a running creek and very well kept. I think we were ahead of the mountain laurel but it was a great ride on the parkway, things had not grown up enough to narrow the views from the overlooks. this was probably the most scenic trip on the parkway we have ever taken and we have been on it many times.
AS far as the "incident" goes we were so fortunate in getting it fixed quickly and no further damage that it seems like a non incident now., We were able to continue our trip home safely..
gerald rush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper