Stolen U-Haul CT-13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
... or good cameras will help deter even the pro. ....
The only good camera is one that no one knows is there*. If a thief knows there is a camera, a simple cover of the face makes it almost completely useless. Good video can be a big help but good video is very rare. That is something I know about.

I sympathize with the victim of this theft because I have spent maybe a few hundred hours improving and customizing my home away from home. Even if I had documented and insured all the improvements, in case of theft my time would be lost forever. That would really suc and justifies some higher degree of security measures.
----
* BTW, if your camper is parked within range of your home WiFi and on shore power, then the $25 (shipped) Wyze camera is a good security cam. I have three, and use one at times in the Scamp.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #22

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I've heard it said many times, but it's not actually true.
You're right of course, and I knew that when I wrote it. Honest people aren't tempted to steal regardless of whether an item is locked up or not. If everyone were honest locks would not exist.

The truth of the matter is just as you explained. A person who is easily tempted to be dishonest will be dissuaded by a lock or a camera. They are actually not an honest person, but they fear getting caught and are not risk takers.

Dishonest risk-takers are not dissuaded by locks, and some even consider it a challenge.

They say it takes all kinds... but that's not true either. It doesn't take all kinds, but there are all kinds!

Makes life interesting, if not always pleasant.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #23

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Yep, you're right. Years ago when I was in law enforcement I was often amazed at the level of sophistication, planning and effort showed by some career criminals. I often thought 'I wonder what they could have achieved if they'd funneled that much effort into something legitimate?'
Old 06-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #24

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Locks and chains do not deter the theft professionals. It only takes a split of a second to cut off locks/chains. Even with surveillance cameras have no effect if they really want it. They will wear masks to break in into your premise. Just look at enclosed photos as my share of experiences...
Attached Thumbnails
20170225_083001.jpg   20170225_095941.jpg  

20170225_094607.jpg   20170225_093834.jpg  

20170225_094027.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:41 PM   #25

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Best options to treat theft pro.

1/ Say goodbye to your possessions and let insurance cover them.
2/ Spend your times and mind and if the law allowed, ambush them with bullets or set booby traps...
3/ Have a BAD BIG dogs as your guards..
To me, I would choose the last option.....
IMO....
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:38 AM   #26

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
i met a man several years ago who had a notification system that alerted his cell phone whenever his trailer was moved, monitored it's movement & kept a history of it's movements for 30 days. i wish i had paid closer attention as i don't remember the details.
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:51 AM   #27

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
Best of luck in getting it back and the capture of the culprits.

Following up on several posts here about locks, I use the Proven Industries lock. I know that all locks can be defeated but this one seems more robust than any others I looked at. I could defeat it, but it would take me a while and make a fair amount of noise.

https://www.provenlocks.com/collecti...-coupler-locks
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #28

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Doug View Post
Following up on several posts here about locks, I use the Proven Industries lock. I know that all locks can be defeated but this one seems more robust than any others I looked at. I could defeat it, but it would take me a while and make a fair amount of noise.

https://www.provenlocks.com/collecti...-coupler-locks
That looks like a good lock, and it should be at that price.. if I were a thief and saw that lock I would know it was on a valuable property, and it would take me about one minute and ten seconds to get the trailer...

https://youtu.be/Z9tbSzWkY1s?t=81

(Not an endorsement for the product mentioned, but instead to point out that a coupler lock alone is not much deterrent)
Old 06-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #29

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
Gordon,

Yep, that is the weak link of hitch locks and is what I would do if I ever lose the key to that thing. At least the Proven Industries lock prevents the thief from using your own chains.

Doug
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #30

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
That looks like a good lock, and it should be at that price..

https://youtu.be/Z9tbSzWkY1s?t=81

(Not an endorsement for the product mentioned, but instead to point out that a coupler lock alone is not much deterrent)

If you check that video on full screen and stop it when the hitch-up is in the driveway and again when it's on the road it is not the same. Something fishy here.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #31

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilyoung View Post
If you check that video on full screen and stop it when the hitch-up is in the driveway and again when it's on the road it is not the same. Something fishy here.
OK.. but the concept that you can tow a trailer with a coupler lock a short ways without hitching it still remains. Or use a tow truck to steal the trailer.

Nothing wrong with using a coupler lock.. I use this one (along with a separate lock on the safety chains). Just don't be lulled into a false sense of security with it.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #32

Name: Ryan
Trailer: Currently Shopping
South Dakota
I hate thieves!!! People work hard for thjngs in life and then a lowlife takes it for free. I'll keep an eye out in South Dakota. You never know how far it could get. I'm always looking for hardshells for sale just for fun anyways.
8lgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #33

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
OK.. but the concept that you can tow a trailer with a coupler lock a short ways without hitching it still remains. Or use a tow truck to steal the trailer.

Nothing wrong with using a coupler lock.. I use this one (along with a separate lock on the safety chains). Just don't be lulled into a false sense of security with it.

You've still got to have a secure lock to put on that thing.

I use something that looks like this

https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Mar...er+tongue+lock

It doesn't have enough clearance to get a pry bar on it when screwed up tight. I suppose some kind of punch and heavy hammer could be used on it. Have just checked my key code. It is different from the one in the picture.

But one that just locks the coupler clamp can be defeated by using a smaller ball or heavy pin to slip past the clamp and chained on for a careful short ride.

And I agree, with one small difference, that you can pull a trailer with a coupler lock on it. A quick bolt/clamp on tongue extender with coupler on it would be fairly easy to fabricate. Should be able to make one adjustable enough to fit most tongue/coupler configurations. Hitch up with that and you're off.

I would improve a little on the "chain up the wheel" technique also. Thread the chain through an opening on one side of the wheel, up over or around the frame, axle, or spring, then back through an opening on the other side of wheel. It can then be locked tightly across the face of the wheel so the rim can't be removed even if the lug nuts are taken off.

I don't chain my wheels. I figure the clamp lock stops the opportunistic amateur. Trying to stop the determined pro thief is more work than it's worth.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #34

Name: JT
Trailer: Scamp
California
So Sorry to hear this! I live nearby and saw your flyer. Will keep a lookout as I always do for eggs.
Best of luck,
JT
Dingohuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #35

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
One discouraging truth about our little fiberglass babies is that they are so small they can easily be winched up onto a roll back and hauled away without even arousing suspicion on the road. I lost a wheel on my 13’ Burro a year or so ago and hauling it in for repair was absolutely simple. A thief could have done the same thing to either strip or sell it, regardless of just about any safety or security measure commonly used.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #36

Name: Ben
Trailer: None
South Carolina
Start watching craigslist up and down the west coast for the Uhaul and/or it's parts for sale. Then turn it over to the cops. If they won't do anything about, a few big guys and guns will help weed out the scum. I'm not saying I have participated in activities as such but I know it can help.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul