Burro 1986 17ft ceiling strip ideas? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #1

Name: minnie
Trailer: burro 17' 1986
wa
Registry
Question Burro 1986 17ft ceiling strip ideas?

Hey All,

Any good ideas for the strip on the ceiling where the 2pcs of glass meet on the Burros? I used spray adhesive on a strip of the same carpet I used on the floor, but it fell down again. I guess I could go with more agressive glue but I don't want to have major removal issues if I need to replace later. Maybe lights or paint up there? Just want options.

Thanks,
Minnie
minnie r. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What spray adhesive did you use? 3M77 is widely sold, but it can't handle the temperature extremes of a parked vehicle. You may have to look around or shop online, but 3M90 is the product the manufacturer recommends for this application.

You can also go to an auto parts store and ask for headliner adhesive. It will probable be a paint-on contact cement, so a little messier to work with.

Also consider the carpet itself. If it has a heavy backing, that could be part of the problem. There are carpet-like materials intended for headliner use without a backing, so they are very light. I've seen all kinds of other things used to cover that strip: plastic backsplash, woven grass mats, shiny Reflectix, thin wood paneling- anything lightweight and flexible.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: Burro
California
Burro Ceiling Strip

For my Burro ceiling strip I first glued on cool shield thermal bubble wrap (to add a little insulation to the bare fiberglass). I glued it using DAP STRONGSTIK Heavy Duty All-Purpose Construction Adhesive. Once dried (with 24 hrs) I glued a strip of indoor/outdoor rug to the thermal pad, again using StongStik. The StrongStik has held firm for 2 years now without a single issue. It was tacky and strong enough for me to install this by myself, although there were a few moments where I wish I had more hands.
Good luck.
jgilardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
In our Uhaul, which is almost identical to a Burro, we bought at Lowes or Home Depot a thin carpet that is made from recycled plastic bottles. I'm sure both places had it in a couple colors. We used a charcoal grey color. We bought it in 6 X 8 foot rolls but it may be available on the large rolls by the foot. Glued it up with contact cement. It is slightly porous so don't use too much contact cement. The insulation is a good idea and has been done by other Uhaul owners.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There are a lot of ceiling strip ideas on the Uhaul Facebook group, and Burro owners are welcome there if you are not already a member.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #6

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
Laid Reflectix in the void, covered it with bamboo roller shade, held in place with Home Depot PVC lath strips using stainless screws and cup washers. The screws go into the part of the inner shell that's spaced away from the outer shell.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2841.jpg  
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Ingenious idea on that roller shade! Looks great too.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:05 AM   #8

Name: George
Trailer: 83 Burro
Illinois
I just bought a Burro that I'm fixing up. The previous owner used a thin plywood that he shaped to the ceiling, finished and screwed in to the top. It looks great. And you won't have to worry about adhesives letting go over time.
GWMattson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro