My best add-on: Air conditionned in my U-haul CT-13 - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2015, 01:56 AM   #61
Whs

Name: Will
Trailer: Scamp 16 layout 4
Nevada
This is a great mod. I've been looking for options on installing a/c in my scamp and this is moving to the top of the list. I think it would work great under the front bunk. Thanks for the detailed information.
Whs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #62

Name: Eddie
Trailer: Uhaul
Florida
HI I JUST GOT A 1985 U-HAUL CT-13 and I would like to put an a/c unit and I was wondering were you put the water drain for the a/c . And what did you use to cut the hole in front.
manes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:12 PM   #63

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dan hasn't been around for a while: Last Activity: 12-20-2014 06:01 AM

I like the finish in the ceiling rib, hope he'll come back and tell us about THAT.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:36 PM   #64

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Eddie, a multi tool works great for cutting FG.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #65

The pics are great, but can you list the steps for a woman doing the work with little help? 😁 I really like the placement, but don't understand each pic. The two round covers on the outside, Do you just open those up, or is there a tube to attached at some point? Thanks!
JHayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #66

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
From what I can see, it looks like the OP didn't use tubes, but instead isolated the back and side exterior vents using a piece of some kind of board and some aluminum tape. I'm planning a similar mod in my LiteHouse, installing it in the cabinet that used to hold the icebox. I hope to have it ready for a music festival on 23 May.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #67

Thanks Davie B.
JHayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #68

Name: Rob
Trailer: U Haul CT 13
Florida
Just like JHayter stated, I used rigid insulation board sealed at the seams with aluminum tape. The insulation board separates the intake from the exhaust. The covers come off, one for the air intake and the other for the exhaust. No tubes are used. This was by far the best mod ever done to the uhaul. The camper is very comfortable at night with the ac on.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
rockead rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #69

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Rob - Which AC unit are you using (manufacture and model)? Did you have any difficulty with the condensate drain?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #70

Name: Dan
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13 1985
Quebec
I am back

I have not logged on for a long time but I am back. I had the chance to camp during hot days and the AC mod is wirking like a charm. The interior is cool even in very hot days with direct sun over the top. I can confirm that a small 5000 BTU is enough for the size of the cabin.
Youhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #71

Name: Tom
Trailer: In market
British Columbia
Vent - caps

Thank you for your detailed posting. Where did you get your vent/plastic caps? And how did you secure it on? Have you seen any moisture build up in exhaust chamber?

Thank you in advance,
Tommy
Tommy72a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:28 AM   #72

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy72a View Post
Thank you for your detailed posting. Where did you get your vent/plastic caps? And how did you secure it on? Have you seen any moisture build up in exhaust chamber?

Thank you in advance,
Tommy
Hello Tommy

I purchased them on amazon. There are "Marine Smooth Center Screw-out Deck Plate". I secured them with a plywood circular framing behind the hole in the fiberglass frame. Also use silicon in between to seal everything. Finally I installed a screen to prevent any bug infiltration. I have not seen any moisture. inside but I also made some deflectors that I install outside when it rains. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Outside_air_outlet_hole.jpg   wood_ring_installed_outlet.jpg  

Outlet_screen.jpg   cover_removed.jpg  

Old 08-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #73

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
We followed this install for our Scamp and it works great....The set up at camp is easy and it keeps the exterior clean and simple - no bulky could hanging out....

I do have another question: what did you use for the rain deflectors?
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #74

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohkraites View Post
We followed this install for our Scamp and it works great....The set up at camp is easy and it keeps the exterior clean and simple - no bulky could hanging out....

I do have another question: what did you use for the rain deflectors?
Hi,

It is important to keep rain out of the access holes so I did two deflectors made of an old PVC pipe. Here are the pics of this setup. The diameter of the drain is a little bit bigger than the inside wall of the covers which is great. By removing some of the sidewall of the tube, I can bent it inside when I install it to make a good grip (spring effect). Also, I store them on the propane tank when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF5036.jpg   DSCF5033.jpg  

DSCF5031.jpg   DSCF5034.jpg  

Old 08-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #75

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youhauler View Post
Hi, It is important to keep rain out of the access holes so I did two deflectors made of an old PVC pipe.
Hauler, I don't know you, but I hereby bestow upon you my Father's highest praise. He would call you "a clever fellow". Believe me, this is indeed an accolade of the highest order reserved for only the most deserving. Dad is gone now, but as his representative I am authorized to act on his behalf in the matter.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #76

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Hauler, I don't know you, but I hereby bestow upon you my Father's highest praise. He would call you "a clever fellow". Believe me, this is indeed an accolade of the highest order reserved for only the most deserving. Dad is gone now, but as his representative I am authorized to act on his behalf in the matter.
Hi Timber,

Sorry for your Father but all I can say is that I am honored by your kind words. However, I would also transfer this accolade to every member of this forum. They inspired me in every mod I did to my camper.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #77

Name: Mike
Florida
Very nice job! I have recently purchased an 86 CT and am wanting to also install a window A/C unit in the same spot as you did. Can you tell me if you also installed any exhaust fans? If not, have you had any problems with the unit not cooling properly? Also, can you give me a better idea of what kind of vents you installed through the shell?
Thanks!
Uhaul Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #78

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhaul Mike View Post
Very nice job! I have recently purchased an 86 CT and am wanting to also install a window A/C unit in the same spot as you did. Can you tell me if you also installed any exhaust fans? If not, have you had any problems with the unit not cooling properly? Also, can you give me a better idea of what kind of vents you installed through the shell?
Thanks!
Hi Mike.
No need of any exhaust fans. The built in A/C fan is perfectly adequate for the task. The BTU size of the unit (5000) is also very good. It cools AND remove humidity which is great. One point to be careful when installing it is the drain. Make sure there is not water accumulation under the seat. The water must be dropped under the floor. The vents are "Marine Smooth Center Screw-out Deck Plate" purchased on amazon.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #79

Name: Mike
Florida
Sorry

Upon further reading, I see you provided a full explanation of what kind of vents you intalled and how you installed them. Ignore that question!

Do you have any more photos of your mounting plate with the drain holes?
Uhaul Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #80

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhaul Mike View Post
Upon further reading, I see you provided a full explanation of what kind of vents you intalled and how you installed them. Ignore that question!

Do you have any more photos of your mounting plate with the drain holes?
Here are some additionnal pics I took during installation. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Lower_bracker.jpg   Outside_air_inlet_hole.jpg  

Insine_Hole_under_seat.jpg  

Tags
u-haul