13' U-Haul- "one" straight tow bar - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #1

Name: KoyD
Trailer: SCAMP 13
North Carolina
13' U-Haul- "one" straight tow bar

Can anyone or U-haul owner tell me"why?" do all U-haul camper have only "ONE" straight tow bar- "The bar"that hook the Hitch to your towing vehicle. Is it safe for towing the camper? Or any swaying issue because it don't have the tradition "triangle" two bar ? I'm curious about this towing design. Any answers would be appreciated. Thank you.
NCBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I don't have a Uhaul, but think it might be because the Uhaul incorporates a surge brake, and the activation mechanism is in that tongue.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:33 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The CT13 Uhaul camper does not have surge brakes, actually no brakes at all. The larger VT16 does have surge brakes. I believe that single tube tongue is just Uhaul's standard design as it is used on most of their cargo trailers. I have not had any towing issues with our Uhaul camper, or when I rented their cargo trailers.

EDIT: the larger Uhaul rental trailers that have surge brakes have a "V" type tongue with a straight extension for the brake mechanism. The non-brake trailers have the single tube tongue.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:46 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Etrailer sells a surge brake assembly that goes directly on a A-frame or "V" type tongue without requiring a straight extension. I installed one years ago on a pop-up camper that previously did not have brakes.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Surge brakes only work if you hit the brake of the tow hard enough to work the device.
Electric brakes work with just a touch on the brake pedal, or with the brake controller alone.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul