How have you improved your Eggcamper? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2014, 12:13 AM   #61

Name: Christian
Trailer: 2014 EggCamper
All over TX and NM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaJill View Post
we painted cabinets, added knobs, made new cushions and curtains, added 2 new fantastic vents, repaired sewer lines, reset sink, covered headboard, cleaned dog and cat hair out of every possible nook and cranny (PO and I am allergic), added magnetic knife holder, LED bulbs to replace in all light fixtures. still need to do some closet organizing and under bed storage solutions. i'm there will be more things I want to do as time rolls along. we are on our way from minnesota to florida to see if we can live in this small space and not kill each other. plus, i will be working from the camper (computer stuff).
I am so bummed that this is such an old post. Hope you see this response. Your Eggcamper mods are awesome! May I ask what you used for a TV mount above the bed like that? And do you take the TV down when you are in transit?
C-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:14 AM   #62

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
The previous owner did that. He took a flat piece of wood large enough to hold the 32" tv, covered it with some rug like padding material and mounted it to the wall above an existing storage cavity using hinges so it would swing up. The previous storage door was removed. All the electronics are inside that cavity. Holes were made in the wood for the cords. The tv was screwed to the wood with long screws. There is a lock at the bottom of the wood piece so that it remains secure to the wall while traveling. We have traveled many miles and had many things fly around in the camper but that tv has never moved. We did remove it to store the camper for the winter.
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:57 AM   #63

Name: Christian
Trailer: 2014 EggCamper
All over TX and NM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaJill View Post
The previous owner did that. He took a flat piece of wood large enough to hold the 32" tv, covered it with some rug like padding material and mounted it to the wall above an existing storage cavity using hinges so it would swing up. The previous storage door was removed. All the electronics are inside that cavity. Holes were made in the wood for the cords. The tv was screwed to the wood with long screws. There is a lock at the bottom of the wood piece so that it remains secure to the wall while traveling. We have traveled many miles and had many things fly around in the camper but that tv has never moved. We did remove it to store the camper for the winter.

Thanks so much for the reply! I would love to see some photos of how it's mounted behind the TV. I am assuming that he used a commercial TV mount to attach to the TV so that he could attach it to the board. When you take the TV off for the winter, do you unscrew it from the wood or from the wall with the hinges?

I think I get what you are saying - let me know if I am wrong.

He removed the original storage door and put some hinges where the old ones were, and that is how it is attached to the wall?

That's just about the ideal size and location of a TV for the EggCamper - as far as I have seen anyway.

Very cool. Thanks again for the response!
C-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #64

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Hello Dale,
How did the swivel seats work out? We are outfitting a 2012 Egg. It has no cushions so, I'm looking for ideas.
Thank-You
Mark
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #65

Trailer: Eggcamper 2009
Hi Mark,
Ours did come with rather flat cushions and I just made zippered slip covers for them. We are going to start full timing in it in a month. Presently it is stored in Charlotte, NC and we are in Michigan. Does anyone have dimensions for the bed. The sheets I made are misplaced. Thanks, Laurie
Dennis O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #66

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastsignal View Post
Hello Dale,
How did the swivel seats work out? We are outfitting a 2012 Egg. It has no cushions so, I'm looking for ideas.
Thank-You
Mark
Mark, The swivel seats are great. We're really glad we made them. We used some of that perforated foam stuff like you put down on a wood floor to keep a rug from sliding around, and that holds them firmly in place (from Lowe's in the flooring section). Just to be safe, we go ahead and set them on the floor of the camper when travelling, but I think they would stay in place even in an emergency stop. For a bit more comfort for me, I raised the table up about 3/4" by simply adding a small oak board spacer up under the table, and that gives my legs just a little more clearance under the table. Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns. Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:00 AM   #67

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis O View Post
Hi Mark,
Ours did come with rather flat cushions and I just made zippered slip covers for them. We are going to start full timing in it in a month. Presently it is stored in Charlotte, NC and we are in Michigan. Does anyone have dimensions for the bed. The sheets I made are misplaced. Thanks, Laurie
Laurie, The EggCamper website lists the bed area as 53" x 80+", and I think that's pretty much right except the rounded corners in the back might take some away. A standard "full" mattress is 54" x 75" (just 1" wider). We never tried to make a full-size mattress fit. Instead, we purchased a Parklane Euro PillowTop 8" Mattress for campers (made in Oregon; purchased from Camping World) with inner-coil springs (6") and memory foam (2"), or something like that, and I believe it is 50" x 74". There is about a 2-3" gap all the way around the mattress - easy to make the bed with standard full sheets then just toss throw pillows in the gaps if you want. My wife and I normally sleep on a standard "full" bed at home, and it sleeps about the same. And for what it's worth, we love the mattress. Very firm, but that's what we like. I'm not sure Parklane still makes this model (I believe they have a newer replacement model), but I've seen a few like ours still on display at Camping World, and we'd get another in a heartbeat if needed. I hope all that rambling might somehow be helpful.... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #68

Trailer: Eggcamper 2009
Hi Dale, Thanks so much for the measurements. I have a foam top that we thought we might use and now I can cut it down.
Dennis O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #69

Western Massachusetts
Thanks for the comments & info, Dale. The swivel seats might be a possibility for us also. Just bare fiberglass in the seating area right now. I think that I have 2 lightweight marine seat frames that may work for a swivel seat. Since you mentioned it, I'm going to look into the table height also. We have a lot of mods to do--Balance the trailer weight-Mount propane & battery outside-install Propane lines-TV 7 Antenna-maybe even solar- Maybe some will even get done before we leave for Cedar Island, NC on Feb. 1. We have res. for Scamp Camp in Sebring, FL Feb. 10-12 and then plan to head across to Big Bend NP & Tucson, AZ. then back to Western Mass.
Mark
Old 12-31-2014, 08:29 AM   #70

Western Massachusetts
Hello Laurie,
I get the same measurement as Dale does, 53x80+. The 80+ width is 86" at the points where the trailer width is at it's max. There was an (about full size-but not quite 54x75"), 6" memory foam mattress in our Egg when we bought it. But, with the trailer width of 80-86", and the rounded corners, there was a lot of uncovered area. And, since we are used to a Queen size at home, I got to thinking of what should be an easy mod: adding a few inches to the front of the bed over the floor and taking a bit of the seating area so the bed would be a bit wider on the dinette side. We just bought a Queen size memory foam mattress (60x80") and plan to trim and custom fit it in order to take up some of that extra space left by the rounded corners and extra trailer width. One of the reasons we bought the Egg was the bed size. We tried Scamp and Casita and the lighterweight models that we looked at mostly had 44-50" wide beds and we just toss and turn (ha!) too much for the smaller size beds, so after trying out a few, we decided the minimum we could do with was about a full size width of 52-54"
Happy New Year
Mark
Old 01-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #71

Western Massachusetts
Hi Laurie,
Just in case you haven't completed you bed set-up here's what I just did to my 2012 Eggcamper. Added a 6" extension to the front of the bed plywood. For good support, it has 3 -1" dowel legs with velcro on the bottom which keeps them in place on the floor carpet very nicely. The 6" width is cut back on the sink side so the compartment door can open. Bought a 4" Queen memory foam from Walmart.com ($99). Cut the memory foam on the sink side where there is only about 53" of width for the first 12' from the wall and on the dinette side rear corner and now we have almost a Queen size mattress. You can still sit at the dinette and the Queen sheets fit fine, except for a little bit where it needs to be tucked under at the edges where we cut. Then, sleep with feet toward the narrow (sink) side and head on the dinette side and enjoy almost a 60"x80" Queen bed. And, since Eggcamper is 87-88" wide there is still a 7-8" slot on the sink side for some storage--probably clothes for us. Just got to find a container or containers that are 7-8" wide and total 50-53" long. so far so good on the mods. More to come.
Mark
Old 01-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #72

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
While I don't have an Egg Camper, I have a page showing many modifications & additions to my Escape 17 that may be useful.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #73

Western Massachusetts
Jon,
Your Mod pages are super. Just took a quick look and can't wait to go thru them all. Sure to be many useful ideas for many different brands of FG campers
Thanks
Mark
Old 01-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #74

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
While I don't have an Egg Camper, I have a page showing many modifications & additions to my Escape 17 that may be useful.
Hi John,
Can't thank you enough for sharing your mods, especially with photos !

We recently bought a Scamp '13, and I've begun my to make "my list". Many of which I saw on your page, so I quickly Bookmarked it. With no experience in travel trailer camping, I'm trying to read up as much as I can. You have a lot of valuable upgrades !!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #75

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Something I just thought about and is my next mod for the fridge. IKEA has a drawer light - it has a light sensor that turns it on when you open the drawer. I think it takes 6 AAA batteries, and is about as big around as AA battery.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #76

Western Massachusetts
Overhead Light In Eggcamper

Since the Eggcamper has good interior height, I decided to install an overhead light. Walmart $10, and a standard base 60 w equivalent 800 lumen LED bulb. Fairly easy install. Managed to snake the romex through from the R. Front closet to a holesaw hole drilled just forward of the vent. Works great and No headbumps. Now we have both 12v and 120v lighting.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #77

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
pictures, coast signal??
Old 01-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #78

Western Massachusetts
Hi Jim,

Like the old TV "You Asked For It" (ha!) here's some pics of the overhead light. (I hope I've added these pics correctly so they show up here)
Attached Thumbnails
Eggcamper Overhead Light 1-14.jpg   Eggcamper combo switch - Water heater , Overhead light.jpg  

Eggcamper - overhead light wiring inside RF Closet.jpg  
Old 01-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #79

Western Massachusetts
Eggcamper Overhead Light and Bed Extension

We found a very shallow fixture at WalMart that still fits a standard bulb. The light extends down only about 4". 60w LED is good, but the lens dims the light, so I think a 100w LED equivalent bulb will be in order when I can find one for a decent price.
The second pic, above, is the switch. I may just put in a separate switch for the light, because this wiring eliminated the red light for the water hear switch, and I thought that was kinda nice to have, so I'll probably cut in a separate switch and restore the switch/red light combo for the water heater.
The third pic--I rotated it, but it didn't take in the transition, so, right side of pic is the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Eggcamper Bed Extension 1-15.jpg   Eggcamper Bed Design and Storage at end of bed, New Bar Faucet, Primus Propane camp Stove.jpg  

Outback & Eggcamper Dec 2014.jpg  
Old 01-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #80

Western Massachusetts
The above pics:
1. 6" Bed extension using plywood and a wooden closet rod dowel cut down into 3 supports. Put a piece of Velcro on the bottom of each of the 3 legs and they stick real well to the carpet without using the other Velcro side. In fact, they stuck so good, that I had to put 1 screw in each bottom of each leg or the glue would not hold the Velcro to the bottom of the dowel.
2. Shows how the mattress is cut down. These memory foam mattresses really vary a lot in true dimensions. Many are a lot smaller than the standard sizes. I had to read the fine print before ordering. This one was close to start with: 79x59.5" for an 80x60" Queen size. The old "Full" size memory foam that came with the camper was only 74x52" instead of the true 75x54". The 79" length was more than I needed, so I cut of 3" in order to have some storage for clothes at the bottom of the bed. Final Dimensions are 76" x 59.5" for most of the length except where it cuts down on the kitchen side to 53" wide. As long as we sleep with feet toward the kitchen side, I doubt we will notice the size difference from the Queen bed we have at home. The extra 5-6" definitely makes a difference. And 11" wide totes (Green colored) are from WalMart. The inside width measures 87.5" at the point where the bed comes up against the sink/kitchen fiberglass.
3. 2014 Outback and 2012 Eggcamper going on a test drive

We still have a lot of work, especially cleaning and polishing to do. Maybe some of that will get done while we are on the road.

Tags
eggcamper