What the heck is on the outside corners of my Jalousie Windows? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 1300
Ontario
What the heck is on the outside corners of my Jalousie Windows?

Ok, so I'm trying to figure out what is covering the corners of my windows. I pulled them out and then re-installed them with new butyl tape, but then they leaked. I pulled the back one out again and checked it thoroughly before re-re-installing it. It leaked still. The only thing that I can figure out is that there is some grey hard stuff in the bottom corners where the side pieces meet the bottom sill on the ouside corners that is cracked and brittle. It covers the screws on the bottom and the corners. What is it? Even though the angle of this sill should direct all water downward, it seemed to be sneaking into the corners and getting through where the sides meet the bottom - I confirmed this by removing one of the interior framing pieces on the side of the window and feeling water at this corner joint. For now I have just siliconed the outside where the two pieces meet, but I'm going to have to remove them again in the near future when I paint the exterior and I want to repair them right. No one ever seems to talk about this joint or having problems with it, so I might be crazy... I don't know.
b_houf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #2

Ontario
Well, as usual, it seems that everything that can be discussed has, at some point, been discussed here on the forum. It just takes some looking. I found this thread that talks about what i am looking at and suggests a modern repair compound. Just in case anyone is interested:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ant-82439.html
Old 04-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I see that I chimed in on the other thread, mentioning the old joints in my Boler 17 windows (completely different type of window), but then in 2018 we removed and partly dis-assembled the rear jalousie window in our Trillium 4500 and had the same problem: crumbling grey colored sealant at each joint in the window frame.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:40 AM   #4

Ontario
Yeah, I was very thankful to have found the thread. Did you ever have problems with leaking in that area John? Did you end up using the Parabond or something else?
Old 04-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #5

Michigan
Registry
Brian, I just looked at the lower left and right outside corner of my Trillium 4500 rear window. (You photo shows the joint at the lower right corner of the window frame.) Concerning the gap in the window flange that appears in your photo, when I look at mine, I see that its completely sealed from behind with a thick layer of butyl tape. Beyond that, again looking at the photo, it appears possible that water could still get in through the 2" joint along the sill. So that would need new sealant.

I didn't replace all of the sealant along these joints, just areas where the old sealant fell out. No problems so far with our Trillium 4500 rear window. We'll continue to watch it.

I used a very small quantity of this brush on sealant: QT Through The Roof Brushable Clear Elastomeric Roof Sealant
Old 04-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #6

Michigan
Registry
Also, looking at my Trillium 4500 rear window again, I see that the 2" sill joint is inside/behind the jalousie panes, thus unlikely that rain water would get in through this joint. However, our Trillium 4500 windows at times develop very heavy condensation. At that point, water might drain down to and through the 2" sill joint.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #7

Michigan
Registry
Brian, when re-doing our Trillium 4500 rear window, we also replaced all of the y seals and the top seal.

Here are the part numbers:

Hehr 4900 series window
Hehr 4900 series top seal: Hehr #009-097, Vintage Trailer Gaskets #0114Z1
Hehr y seal: Hehr #009-289, Vintage Trailer Gaskets #0114YSEAL

Also replaced the torque operator, BUT the new one has failed
Old 04-05-2019, 11:36 AM   #8

Ontario
I replaced the top seal. I didn't get to the others... maybe someday. Did you apply the brush on stuff right over top of the old grey stuff?
Old 04-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #9

Michigan
Registry
Brian, in places where I applied new sealant, I just scraped out the old sealant as best I could, then cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, then applied new sealant.

My Trillium windows seem to be MUCH more watertight than my Boler 17 windows. The Trillium windows seem to be designed to shed very heavy rains very efficiently.

On the other hand, my Boler 17 windows have been more challenging to make watertight. In very heavy rains, the bottom tracks in the slider windows may overflow into the camper. To minimize this problem, the tracks must be kept clean and weep holes kept clear.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #10

Ontario
That's great info John. Thanks so much for your responses!

Tags
jalousie windows, trillium, windows