Eggcamper Weight, Tongue Weight & Towing with Outback - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #21

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I am afraid that Volvo's no longer enjoy the popularity in the U.S. of days gone by.
We owned a gently used 1994 Volvo 960 for a short while (emphasis on "short"). It had a never-ending series of "little problems" that always cost $500 for a dealer shop to fix. A friend said he "had a guy" who worked on his Volvo to avoid those expensive trips to the dealer's shop. We finally traded ours in for our Highlander. We figured we didn't need a vehicle that cost $500 a pop to fix every little thing or that you needed your own "guy" to keep it on the road. Other than being in the middle of a Jeep sandwich (Jeep in front stopped suddenly, we stopped okay, Jeep behind us didn't stop and pushed us into the Jeep in front), we haven't had a problem in 140,000 miles with our Highlander. I'd like to think that more and more of the domestic autos are finally catching up with the major Japanese makes regarding reliability.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGBERT View Post
I have been thinking of trading my 99 Lexus SUV AWD for an Outback but after reading all the comments about them I dont think I will. I have had a '93 and a '94 RWD, Volvo wagon w the 2.3L, 4 cylinder turbo engines. I am pulling a '74 Boler and have had no problems w the Volvos. I had to weld the Boler tongue 2x last yr. because of those deep driveway and parking lot entrances in SCal.
Last yr going across Canada, I found the old Volvo w 300kms, getting tired going over the mnts; barely able to do 40mph. On the trip back east, I traded it for a '99 Lexus in Prescot AZ. WOW! what power a v6 has. BUT its such a gas guzzler; I barely get 200 miles per tank! So I have been thinking of a used v6 Subura, BUT now after reading all this info about them Iam thinking of a used 1990's Volvo 5 cylinder. I never see Volvos mentioned or pulling anything on the rd. Anybody here use a 5 cylinder Volvo as a TV?
Bert, being the party who had some issues with repairs after long term towing with the Subaru I can say that I don't think you would have the same types issues I had if your are pulling a 13'. I believe the issues I had were all related to the fact I was pulling a 16' trailer what was pretty close to the Subaru's upper limits & more than half the miles on the car where towing miles.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think Subaru knows their market and knows it well, and people towing trailers are a miniscule component.
I agree with Glen here. Like most cars these days (which many are very capable tow vehicles) the rating is very low (most get the rubber stamp rating of 1,000lbs). The company marketeers can't see any reason to apply a higher rating because they don't see it as a selling point.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #24
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
I never see Volvos mentioned or pulling anything on the rd. Anybody here use a 5 cylinder Volvo as a TV?
My buddy tows a good size dual axle trailer with his 5cyl S60 Volvo. Many 100's of hours of towing. Works fine.

Quote:
I have been thinking of trading my 99 Lexus SUV AWD for an Outback but after reading all the comments about them I dont think I will.
Egbert.. Those Lexus SUV's are a keeper. This one which I believe is the same as yours towed this trailer to Alaska and all over North America. Worked great!
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2015, 09:05 AM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
While the Lexus shown may have a towing capacity as high as 6500 lbs, the current Volvo S60 towing capacity is 3300 lbs.

One will find little support on this molded fiberglass RV site for towing over manufacturers specified towing limit. What someone else does, does not mean You should do it.....
From my personal observation, many, if not most, new vehicles with 1000 lb or "Do Not Tow limits", are high MPG vehicles, and are bit on the puny side for towing. And, when that usual 32 mpg figure drops to 20 mpg when towing, no one is happy.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #26
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
While the Lexus shown may have a towing capacity as high as 6500 lbs, the current Volvo S60 towing capacity is 3300 lbs.

One will find little support on this molded fiberglass RV site for towing over manufacturers specified towing limit.
Could be Bob but the "point being made" here is that the Volvo S60 (with a pro set up) was towing a good sized dual axle trailer all over North America, for many years.
It should give egbert a good feeling about towing a nice glass egg which weighs much less at roughly 3,300lbs.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:17 PM   #27

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
I still don't get Subaru. You'd think that with all the baby-boomers retiring and the related sharp increase in demand for campers (most every fiberglass manufacturer has a 6-12 month production backlog, and even Air Stream is building another production line to help clear their backlog of orders) that Subaru would want at least some of that action - especially since they already had a proven tow vehicle platform for small campers and a very loyal following. But then I thought the Subaru BRAT was one fun little off-roader, too, but that didn't stop Subaru from dropping it from their lineup.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:45 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Face it. We, on this forum and other owners of light-weight fibreglass trailers, are very few and Subaru is not about to invest in a market that almost doesn't exist in their world. Most of the members of this forum own trailers that are decades old. Not exactly a hot market.
Might be important to you, but Subaru cares not.
That's speaking as a former owner of a Subaru Loyale for some 13 years.

There is probably a bigger market for small pickup trucks that can handle anti-aircraft guns.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:37 AM   #29

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
There is probably a bigger market for small pickup trucks that can handle anti-aircraft guns.
Unfortunately, watching world news, I think the Toyota HiLux has already captured that market....
Old 01-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #30

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Eggcamper Weight, Tongue Weight & Towing with Outback

Quote:

One will find little support on this molded fiberglass RV site for towing over manufacturers specified towing limit. What someone else does, does not mean You should do it.....
From my personal observation, many, if not most, new vehicles with 1000 lb or "Do Not Tow limits", are high MPG vehicles, and are bit on the puny side for towing. And, when that usual 32 mpg figure drops to 20 mpg when towing, no one is happy.

That Lexus pulling the 25' Airstream is an RX350 rated to tow 3500# in the USA. Pretty much the same engine and running gear as a last gen RAV4 or Hylander.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #31

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Thank You Danny for the additional info.
Which helps prove that P.T. Barnum was right about something! But I'm not sure exactly what. LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #32
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
That Lexus pulling the 25' Airstream is an RX350 rated to tow 3500# in the USA. Pretty much the same engine and running gear as a last gen RAV4 or Hylander.
Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
That is an interesting point Denny. Thnxs for posting.

I followed the story of that Lexus since it was 1st posted on another forum years ago. The owner said it was a very nice rig to drive and as well as doing the Alaska trip he toured to the east coast and down south. He also reported that other than normal servicing the Lexus was problem free. For me this info would be an asset if looking for a future TV.
The story and Lexus as a TV is impressive considering it is based on a Rav4, Hylander, Camry, platform.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:56 PM   #33

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Mark, I also tow occasionally with my 08 Outback, but I also have a Dodge Dakota that does most of my towing since I like to load up with "stuff" for longer trips.
I originally purchased the Outback for towing my 1720 GVWR popup, which it did well. Now that I have a 16' Scamp that weighs close to 2600 lbs loaded up for boondocking, the Outback is rarely used, since in order to use it I have to change the camper configuration (take 1 of the propane tanks off, fill the fresh water tank behind the axle with water, drop the tongue weight below the magical 10% figure, shift cargo from front to back, etc). The Subaru still does fine when I do that, and if I didn't have the truck I would be permanently moving my battery behind the axle (like Casitas have them) to better distribute the weight. Is that a possibility with your eggcamper? If so, that's a shift of about 50-60 lbs off the tongue and towards the back and would help with your lower tongue weight.
My Outback has been relatively trouble free, the only repairs were a torn CV boot at 80,000 miles, and the other boot at 103,000 miles. I would have preferred to take the Outback on our trip from GA to Big Bend TX earlier this month but the timing belt change at 105,000 miles is due (something I don't think your 2014 Outback has to worry about anymore)
Since the tongue weight is below 10% (but within Subaru's recommended 8-11%) I did add an anti-swaybar just in case, although it doesn't seem to need it, our Subaru is a sure footed tower, just hard to keep under that 200 lb tongue weight limit.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:19 AM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Isn't the GVWR for the EggCamper only 2500# which means there really isn't a choice about loading them light? Per the brochure, the weight is 1880# before options but it is confusing because the only options listed are a canopy and a 2 piece mattress. I guess with the smaller trailers, a couple of hundred pounds one way or another does make a big difference.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #35

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Eggcamper-Subaru Outback towing update

We've been towing the 2012 Eggcamper with the 2014 Subaru Outback for almost 2 months and over 8000 miles now. The Outback tows the Eggcamper easily, but we lose 1/2 our mpg --from 32 down to 16 average mpg towing. On highways, We've been towing at around 60-63mph mostly. But the car tachs up when going up any hill, or good sized bridge, so we don't use the cruise control unless we have a long stretch of perfectly flat highway.

The frontal size of the camper being towed should be just as important of a consideration as the weight being pulled. But tow vehicles are not rated for frontal loads, and frontal loads are not calculated on campers.

I think that if we pick the right mid-size tow vehicle, we may just still get 16mpg towing , but with the ability to leave cruise control on without killing the mpg, and gaining the ability to carry more STUFF, and use a higher tongue weight. The Outback is stable and easy to tow, with the 200# tongue weight, but a slightly larger tow vehicle might be an even easier tow.

Mark
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastsignal View Post
We've been towing the 2012 Eggcamper with the 2014 Subaru Outback for almost 2 months and over 8000 miles now.
<cut>

The Outback is stable and easy to tow, with the 200# tongue weight, but a slightly larger tow vehicle might be an even easier tow.

Mark
The Eggcamper website reads:

HOW MUCH DOES IT WEIGHT?

1900 POUNDS BEFORE OPTIONS

250 TONGUE WEIGHT

2500 GROSS

Thats an empty trailer, so I would be interested in how you achieve the 200lb tongue weight on a loaded trailer.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #37

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
My Eggcamper was closer to 2300 lbs and 320 lbs tongue weight, but I did have 2 batteries up front.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #38

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I think that if you like the Subaru Outback, that you'd also like the new Ford Escape. I have the Titanium 4 wheel drive model and it's rated to 3500 lbs towing. For a small SUV, I think it tows very well, and I think the small dimensions, good ground clearance and approach angles and automatic 4 wheel drive system, you could take it almost anywhere - at least places you could take an Outback.

And not have to sweat towing or take all these measures to get down to a ridiculously low tongue weight.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My Eggcamper was closer to 2300 lbs and 320 lbs tongue weight, but I did have 2 batteries up front.
Not surprised. Most trailer manufactures suggest added about 500/600lbs to an empty trailer weight to accommodate the weight of the options and personal gear.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
My 2009 EggCamper had a 283 lb. tongue weight - single battery.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper, weight