Camp stove recommendations - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2020, 05:20 PM   #101

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Not meaning to hijack this thread but lights drive me nuts. I use a cheap headlamp because it turns on an off. It does not strobe, it does not have a super bright setting or ten other light levels, it does not have a red light...I just want a flashlight and headlamp that with one click it goes on. And one click it goes off...
Yeah, I hate the sequential click through modes where you have to turn something off and on repeatedly to get something.

my current favorite headlight for walking around and doing stuff at night is the diminutive Black Diamond Iota. This is a tiny rechargeable light that has a soft very wide field white light. normally its just off/on when you click it, but if you turn it on, then hold the button in, it gradually dims and gets brighter again, when you let go it stays that bright. uses a USB micro charging cable, but lasts for months of casual use on a single charge.

its NOT, however, quite bright enough to use as a bicycle lamp in the dark, for that I need something with a brighter beam so I can see the road 30 or 50 feet in front of me.

strobe modes are good for bicycle riding when you're wanting to be seen by traffic but otherwise generally pretty annoying.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #102

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Not meaning to hijack this thread but lights drive me nuts. I use a cheap headlamp ....
I remember waking up in my camper from a dream that I was parked on the taxi way at a busy airport. The first thing I saw seemed to confirm that my dream was in fact not a dream at all. Turns out it was some kids going to the outhouse with headlights scanning 360 degrees in three dimensions.

What does this have to do with camp stoves? Nothing.. Sorry.

But I will add that I bought not one, but two stoves based on recommendations posted on this forum. I was not happy with either. Maybe they were good for the people who posted that they liked them but they were not suited to the cooking I was doing. YMMV.. Good luck.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #103

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Check out Craigslist and find a used Coleman propane stove then smile on the $ you saved. Then take that money and buy a Bemco Backpackers Oven to go with it and you will be setup. The coleman we are using now was found by the garbage bin while we were out walking. and I have some coleman white gas that go back to 1960 with the old gold tanks and I have never paid more than $15 for one at garage sales. About the only thing that goes wrong with them is they need the pump oiled!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0788 (Medium).JPG   IMG_0791 (Medium).JPG  

Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:25 AM   #104

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
Thanks for the BEMCO oven recommendatioon

Dudley, thanks for that comment on the BEMCO oven. Had seen that one years ago while on the App Trail (folks were baking morning biscuits, swapped a bit of bacon for two...yum!). Always liked the ability to bake (I fish), but could not remember the name of it. VERY lightweight! I have a little dual burner propane stove I pack in my "travel" emergency case (Water, food, stove, flares and emerg. medical kit. I drive a lot, but now the Scamp comes with me). Won't work with the oven, but my old Coleman white gas single burner will. The two burner does great with a griddle on top, breakfast pancakes, bacon, and will cook a steak for dinner. Have one of the ovens on order now...$55 or so new.

Baked Trout to me is a treat. I have land on the New River, so trout are just a line toss away.

Derswede
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #105

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
When you get your oven, there are a couple of mods that work well. There are 2 aluminum studs that hold the front on, I threaded them for 6-32 nuts to hold the front better. I just screwed the nuts on and they cut the threads just fine. The other mod I did was to file notches on the bottom to match the grill rods. I also added a small wooden tab to the latch. They come with 2 cooking trays and found a couple of extra 7" pizza trays at a restaurant supply store for $2 each. It does take a bit of fiddling to get the temp right but its not bad. We have had ours for about 4 years and its always in the casita and we love having fresh biscuits, cinnamon buns, pizza and of course fresh baked cookies (Pilsbury Ready to make chocolate chip are the fav) BTW we use some parchment paper when cooking and reuse it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG174.jpg  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:51 AM   #106

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have not seen a Bemco used, but a friend uses the Camp Chef Outdoor Camp Oven a lot. The Coleman Camp Oven Silver 2000016462 was used by the a number of Scoutmasters when my boys and I were in the Scouts, all worked well. I have a Volcano II in which I have done some baking.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #107

Name: Adam
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
We finally used the Camp Chef Everest and I can confirm that it is a great stove and perfect for our needs. The burners have fantastic turndown which was my big concern. Easy to adjust flame without putting the burner out unlike the older Coleman's that I've used. Nice integrated wind screens. Very rugged and solid build. Large cooking surface. Almost too large since our cast iron griddle was about 1/2" too short to fully cover. I used it with a 20lb tank which was also a nice change for us.
AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #108

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNH View Post
We finally used the Camp Chef Everest and I can confirm that it is a great stove and perfect for our needs. The burners have fantastic turndown which was my big concern. Easy to adjust flame without putting the burner out unlike the older Coleman's that I've used. Nice integrated wind screens. Very rugged and solid build. Large cooking surface. Almost too large since our cast iron griddle was about 1/2" too short to fully cover. I used it with a 20lb tank which was also a nice change for us.
Thanks for the follow-up. It's nice to hear the results of these threads, and I think this was an especially interesting one to many.

I mentioned somewhere in the thread that our Coleman Gladiator (Hyperflame / FyreKnight) doesn't simmer properly, even after I attempted to lubricate the O-rings on the burner controls.

I intend to try the silicone spray that I mentioned in post #77. If my follow-up efforts to correct the problem don't work out, I am in the market for a new stove, so I appreciate the post.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:59 PM   #109

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
We use a portable Induction unit and love it. The unit we use can also be counter flush mounted. We also love having a microwave oven. But we also have a portable butane/LP single burner on hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideline77 View Post
Does anyone use an portable induction cooktop?
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:06 PM   #110

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Some of our cooking apparatus. Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1595383238747.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	136160Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1595383206373.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	136161Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200721-220140_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	136162
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:51 AM   #111

Name: Randall
Trailer: shopping
Florida
Rocky mountain range outdoor stove- cimmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Cindy K View Post
Great recommendation on the Rocky Mountain Range stoves Dave. We have two as well - a Cimmaron (one of the early models and rock solid) and a Sea of Cortez purchased when they were closing everything out. The newer version has also been good after I replaced all the poorly done pop rivets. Both simmer well and turn out a great pork loin with their barbecue accessory. Agree about the weight.
I was able to pick up a stove but its missing the legs. Would you have any pictures of the ROCKY MOUNTAIN RANGE OUTDOOR STOVE- CIMMARON that you can share?
Pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 02:26 PM   #112

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Legs

I have a single burner Rocky Mountain that I got first. Then later a two burner that’s a Yellowstone model I think. They are down in my hoarding shed, errr I mean my shop and storage garage. When it warms up tomorrow I’ll go down and get them out because I have to get some traps and fur stretchers out I’m going to sell at a trappers get together (read that eat pork, drink beer thing) in a couple weeks. I’ll take some pictures and take some measurements the best I can.
It was 72 degrees with no wind here yesterday about 2 PM, a front came through and it was 4 degrees F this morning with a 28 mph wind gusting to 40 mph. -17 windchill. I suffered some economic loss from the damage to my brass monkey that I forgot to bring in. Stand by.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 03:35 PM   #113

Name: Randall
Trailer: shopping
Florida
Thank you

It seems that their stoves have varied leg options. I’ve seen some pictures where the legs are vertical and others are at an angle.

I might look for a foldable table to sit it on if it gets to crazy trying to find the legs.
Pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 05:34 PM   #114

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Here's a couple of camp stove solutions...
Click image for larger version

Name:	hot Campfire grill j.jpg
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	151051

Click image for larger version

Name:	hot dog roast j.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	151052
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:43 AM   #115

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
After seeing prices of NEW Coleman Camp stove, I will continue to do and use what I have for the past 30 years, buy an old one at a yard sale for almost nothing, and use it, repair it, and use it again and again. Don't think I have paid more then $5 for one yet and usually all I do to them is clean the gas lines on them.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:29 AM   #116

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
After seeing prices of NEW Coleman Camp stove, I will continue to do and use what I have for the past 30 years, buy an old one at a yard sale for almost nothing, and use it, repair it, and use it again and again. Don't think I have paid more then $5 for one yet and usually all I do to them is clean the gas lines on them.
I know, it's insane! My trusty 35 year old Coleman propane stove was stolen a couple of years ago (along with a lot of old and valuable backpacking equipment). I settled for a basic new one without some of the features my old one had. Everything about it shows a cheapening of build quality, but it cost dearly.

I prefer propane to white gas for car camping for its simplicity. One of the other things I lost in the break-in was an old MSR Whisperlite white gas backpacking stove. I won't be replacing that, as my backpacking days are mostly over.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 05:34 AM   #117

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I know, it's insane! My trusty 35 year old Coleman propane stove was stolen a couple of years ago (along with a lot of old and valuable backpacking equipment). I settled for a basic new one without some of the features my old one had. Everything about it shows a cheapening of build quality, but it cost dearly.

I prefer propane to white gas for car camping for its simplicity. One of the other things I lost in the break-in was an old MSR Whisperlite white gas backpacking stove. I won't be replacing that, as my backpacking days are mostly over.
I still have my fathers white gas Coleman, single mantel, lantern, from the mid 1960's. This was the first item my dad had bought to really say we had come up in the camping world. That and the 9X15 foot canvas tent and all us 5 kids sleeping on the ground! Such memories ... I use to be able to buy all the parts to repair that lantern at Cabela's but now they don't sell them anymore.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 08:53 AM   #118

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
Stove recommendations

Those simple propane stoves that connect to a refillable propane bottle are hard to beat, as a back up to your trailer stove.
I like my svea 123, with the tourist kit. It’s a blazer! Cooked 4 crabs in a big pot on it. Had it for 60 years and never failed.
Butane is hot, but fails at low temps and those containers are not cheap.
An old Coleman, white gas 2 burner is great too.
Depends on how much you use it that pertains to cost.
Refillable small propane bottles , or a connection to the bigger bulk tank makes a lot of sense.
White gas stoves, cheapest to operate come with some challenges: carrying liquid fuel, trickier to operate etc. after awhile you develop a personal relationship ,kinda like an old grumpy friend. They will serve you well!
Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:11 AM   #119

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burroman View Post
White gas stoves, cheapest to operate come with some challenges: carrying liquid fuel, trickier to operate etc. after awhile you develop a personal relationship ,kinda like an old grumpy friend. They will serve you well!
That describes perfectly my relationship with that MSR white gas backpacking stove. It just knew when I was distracted, uncomfortable, or in a hurry. As long as I was relaxed and fully engaged with the lighting process, it worked flawlessly. But jump the gun or hesitate a second too long- nothing doing! Wait a bit and try again.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:20 AM   #120

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
Yes!

They certainly require a presence of mind.
Not a bad thing. The old adage “ Be Here Now” certainly applies.
Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco