New-to-me 1976 Surfside TM-1400 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 04:00 PM   #1

Name: Amber
Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300 & 1976 SurfSide TM-14
British Columbia
Registry
New-to-me 1976 Surfside TM-1400

Hi all,

I currently have a Boler, which I love, but which has been more of a project than I had anticipated. I was committed to seeing it through but it's been taking more time than I have and I kind of just want to go camping and not have to worry about the work to be done. Then I had the good fortune of being offered the Surfside, for an amazing price, and in great shape. So with a heavy heart I've decided to sell the Boler once I finish the projects that I'm currently in the middle of.

I pick up the Surfside at the end of the month and even though I don't actually have it with me yet, I'm getting excited about. In looking at the photos of it that I have though, I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone in this forum might be able to help with.

1. Does anyone have a template for the cushions for both the table and the bunks? This is the only thing I want to do on the trailer right away. This is the model with the side kitchen, the dinette with the bench seating on the sides (NOT the U-shaped dinette) and the gaucho bunks at the front. I have a lovely offer from someone local for me to go take measurements of theirs but if someone here had existing measurements that were easy to share, I would love that.

2. One side of the dinette benches is longer than the other by about a foot. Has anyone made a bed extension for when the table is in the bed position that would go from the edge of the longer bench to meet up with the kitchen cabinets to give extra sleeping room? Any thoughts on the best way to go about this?

3. In looking at the photos, it looks like there is a rail on each side of the trailer above where the dinette is. In mine, there is now a small cupboard there but looks like it may have been built after market by a previous owner. Does anyone know if any models had a bunk over the dinette? If so, I'd love to see photos as this could be a great bonus for us if it had the ability to changed back into a bunk (if it ever was one in the first place).

That's it! Thanks for any thoughts anyone has on the above!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Awning.jpg   Upholstery.jpg  

Blue Bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Lucky you, Blue. We have a Surfside and really enjoy it. In our case, I have found, heads at the wider side of the bed and feet to the narrower side mean that there is no problem with there being a few less inches for your feet. Ours has a shelf above the table which is very handy to put things on at night. I think it is original. You can see photos of our Surfside on this site.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:41 AM   #3

Name: Amber
Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300 & 1976 SurfSide TM-14
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Bob in Mb! I'm pretty excited and feel a bit like I won the lottery with the Surfside after having a bit of buyer's remorse with the Boler, just because of how much work it needed vs. what I paid for it. But now I feel like it's all kind of evened out in the wash.

Yes, I think the Surfside dinette bed, as it is now, will definitely make sleeping arrangements better. But, oh the luxury if we could add even a bit more room! :-)

Thank you for your response! And I'll look up your pics as well!
Blue Bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #4

Name: Brent
Trailer: Surfside
Manitoba
Surfside > Boler ;-)

I've always thought the Surfside was an upgrade from the Boler. The extra foot in length plus less-rounded corners actually makes a huge difference. Yours looks in great shape, I'm sure you'll love it.

We've also found feet-at-narrow-end works fine, but having said that our bed is widened since I gutted and rebuilt ours. Most straightforward method to enlarge it I think would be to simply replace the tabletop with one that's a bit longer, but you may need to cut an angle from the outer corners of the table so it's easier to slide into when it's in table mode. Also note it may impede doors/drawers opening from the kitchenette.

I'm not sure those rails above the side windows are original. It's conceivable that it was for a bunk, but it'd have to have been limited to a small child, or more practically speaking, storage. It wouldn't be hard to convert to a bunk, bearing that in mind. Other RV's I've seen do this would replace that rear cabinet with a fold-down / fold-out piano hinged board, reinforced for whatever weight will be on it. Realize though that from the the bed to the ceiling is going to be 12" or less, so not very practical for sleeping.

The cabinet above the table on the rear was normally a shelf with a lip on the front edge: not sure if yours is a factory upgrade or an after-market addition. In my rebuild, I put upper cabinets on both sides right to the back corners, with a shelf along the back for visible easy-access storage.
toderash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside