Belly Band coming unglued/Parkliner 2018 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2021, 08:01 PM   #1

Name: Maria
Trailer: Parkliner 2018
Maryland
Belly Band coming unglued/Parkliner 2018

Well here I am again asking for help from you folks. The belly band on my 2018 Parkliner has unglued (about 18”) right under the rear window (driver side), so much so that I can see daylight. What can I use to glue that back and how do I do that plus what tool(s) would I need?

I’m leaving this campground (on Sept. 1) with a 9 hr drive home (will overnight somewhere after 5-6 hr drive).

If I cannot get the materials I need to DIY myself before I leave in 4 days,
1) 1) would the old standby DUCK tape work until I can get the correct materials?
2) 2) How about that FLEX TAPE or FLEX PASTE?
3) 3) Will either the Duck tape or the Flex tape/paste damage the fiberglass finish when removing?

I want to try the fix myself as the RV repair place charges $125 an hour ::sigh::

Thanks in advance.
Maria in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:50 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
So you can see daylight… from the inside? Confused because normally the inside is lined and insulated. Is it leaking?

I’m not familiar with how Parkliner joined and covered their belly band. Many manufacturers fiberglass the seam on the inside and add a cosmetic trim piece on the outside. I’m guessing perhaps the exterior trim is coming loose. If so, it shouldn’t cause a leak or be difficult to fix. Pictures would help.

If you use duck tape to hold something in place temporarily, get the clean-release kind that does not leave adhesive residue. The regular stuff will leave a mess. Remove as soon as you get home and do a proper repair. What that might involve depends on exactly what’s going on.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:14 AM   #3

Maryland

Thanks Jon. Sorry, it's a double hull, inside no seam all solid walls. What I meant was the belly band separated from the outside on the body where the outer top hull meets the lower half outer hull (below the windows). The separated part bows away from the hull so when I'm scrunching down looking up through the bowed space I can see sky between the band and the body (if I was taller I could look down and see the ground between the band and the body ). From what I can see, the seam under the belly band is sealed so there would be no water intrusion, I just want to put it back where it belongs . In the photo I think you can see the yellow of the chock in the gap. (The photo is turned sideways, don't know how to fix that, but if you tilt your head left ).

John, other than the no residue Duck tape, would you know what I could use as a glue? I've heard of self-leveling Dicor, but I don't know if that is also a glue. Will do a little google search on that.
Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
20210825_131113.jpg  
Old 08-28-2021, 12:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
You need to contact the place you bought it from. Is there any warranty?

Perhaps a two part epoxy glue would work.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #5

Maryland

Wayne, I'm the 2nd owner. Parkliner is no longer in production, they sold to Lil Guy and they stopped making them in 2018 I think.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:57 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 2016 Parkliner
Virginia
Remember that we Parkliner owners always have a resource in Aaron McGhee, the former operations mgr at Parkliner, who built our Parkliners. He's a good guy. He now works at Camping World in Colfax NC. If you get with him he can advise.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Okay, so the good news is it's only cosmetic. I'm still having a hard time getting enough detail to see how Parkliner put it together. There appears to be a lip of fiberglass where the two halves are joined. The trim appears to be a piece of L-channel. What's it made of? Scamp uses small rivets to secure the belly band trim to the lip. Maybe that could work for you. Does it push back into position easily?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #8

Maryland
Thanks John. Have you had any dealings with Aaron McGhee? If so, how did it go. Did you contact him by phone or in person? Do you know how best to contact him? Do you know if he extends himself to help us out? I would love to have a chat with him . Lots of questions I know, but maybe I'll call Camping World and see if he's available on the phone. Many thanks for the name and place.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:18 PM   #9

Maryland
Jon, yes it pushes back real easy. I have no idea what it's made of. No rivets attaching the belly band to the body as far as I can see, though there appear to be rivets that APPEAR to hold the bottom and top halves together - BUT - those rivets could be from the belly band that lost their hold. I will try to get some better pictures but there isn't enough of a gap to get the camera to see the seam.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:22 PM   #10

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjiwjr View Post
Remember that we Parkliner owners always have a resource in Aaron McGhee, the former operations mgr at Parkliner, who built our Parkliners. He's a good guy. He now works at Camping World in Colfax NC. If you get with him he can advise.
iamjiwjr, I just called Camping World in Colfax and the woman that answered said no one there by that name. I asked if he'd retired or was working somewhere else and said she had not heard of him since she's been working there, a whole 7 months. I asked if I could speak with someone who had been there longer than she had and she hesitated and said she couldn't think of anyone. Very uncooperative.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:51 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: 2016 Parkliner
Virginia
I sent him a pm in this forum. Otherwise, once regular business hours start Monday, I'm going to search the RV dealerships in the Piedmont Triad area until I find where he's working. I figure he found something better. He deserves it. Good for him!
Old 08-28-2021, 04:02 PM   #12

Maryland
If you find him I hope he's still available to lend us a hand. Thanks for trying to find him. Would you keep us Parkliner aficionados updated? Many thanks.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:59 AM   #13

Name: Ethan
Trailer: 2019 Parkliner
New York

Hi I have not had a problem with this area on trailer. I did some work on nose of trailer. I think it goes together the same way. The white trim snaps on to a black strip that is riveted on. Then on trailer they add some type of sealant just to keep dirt and grime out. Anyway I think it can be snapped back into place. Wonder why it would pop out? Good luck
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:59 AM   #14

Maryland

Thanks Ethan. It takes no effort to press the band against the body, but it won't stay. I even tried going from both ends, separately, and seeing if pressure like on a zip lock bag would maybe seat the black part onto the seam but didn't work.

The black rubber strip is attached to the outside white strip (assuming it's glued) so the band is ungluing in one piece.

The gap isn't wide enough to check with a fingertip to see if there are any 'holes' on the black strip where/if rivets might have been that would have left a hole on the strip.

Do you have any idea what I might use as a glue to attach it to the body?

An earlier reply by "iamjrlwr" (I think that's the whole spelling, from memory and I think it was him, if not I apologize to who mentioned McGhee) said that he messaged Aaron McGhee who had been the OPS Mgr at Parkliner, then was working at Camping World, in Colfax, NC but is no longer there. We'll see if he replies and what he says.

How do we fix pics to post right side up? 1st pic is upside down. 2nd & 3rd pics, tilt head left. Last pic, tilt head right.
Attached Thumbnails
20210829_083447.jpg   20210829_083526 (2).jpg  

20210829_083714 (2).jpg   20210829_083838.jpg  

Old 08-29-2021, 09:01 AM   #15

Maryland
2nd & 3rd pics tilt head right, last pic tilt head left ::sigh::
Old 08-29-2021, 09:28 AM   #16

Name: Ethan
Trailer: 2019 Parkliner
New York

So if I understand. The white trim and black backing came off together. If this happened, then you must start at easiest end ,pull off white trim till you are over this section. Will probably need to rivet black backing down. Then snap white trim on to black backing. I think you should be able to travel with it the way it is. If not ,a boat repair shop should be able to deal with it easy.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #17

Maryland
Ethan, "...Will probably need to rivet black backing down. Then snap white trim on to black backing. I think you should be able to travel with it the way it is...." Thanks for the boat repair place tip. There is one about 40 miles from here, will check on Tuesday to see if they can fit me in, am heading home to MD from WV on Wed, but will gladly stay the night if they can't see me until Wednesday.
As someone here suggested (apologies for not remembering) if using Duct tape to use the 'no residue' kind, and I will use that to hopefully not have wind make more of a gap.
I sent Dicor an email asking if their product was also an adhesive, hope to hear from them tomorrow.

Thank you.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #18

Maryland
Ethan, thanks. I don't think I'll attempt the removing the strip and reattaching with rivets. I'd make more of a mess. Thanks for the tip on the boat repair place. There's one about 40 miles from here, will call Tuesday, hope they can fit me in Wednesday on my way home from WV to MD. If they can't see me until Thursday I'll overnight somewhere. I asked about Duck tape and someone here suggested "no residue" Duck tape (apologies for not remembering who). I want to seal the gap from serious wind pressure hoping to keep the gap from getting longer.
Many thanks.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #19

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
Hello everyone, I am back in the forum for a little.
AmcGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner