CADET'S CLOTH INTERIOR NEEDS GLUE - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #1

Trailer: Cadet
The cloth with foam insulation in my cadet needs help. This old trailer 1986 has a very nice headliner fabric material with a foam insulation backing that was originally glued to the fiberglass. Over the years the foam has deteriorated to in some places dust and chunks in other places allowing the cloth to sag down. I know I can't do much to replace the foam but it would be very pleasing to the eye if I could just glue the fabric back into place. I have tried the spray on adhesives at Canadian tire for car headliners but that just didn't do it ten minutes and it was falling back down. Does anyone have any suggestions i just don't want to have all this cloth interior torn out and thrown away. The insulation factor doesn't worry me I just use this thing in the warm weather anyways.
JIM DUNNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Jim,

Sounds like you may have a product like a "marine" liner material - they are often vinyl cloth on an open-celled foam backing. Over time, the open cell foam deteriorates, and then of course the vinyl doesn't stay on the wall.

I've never repaired one of these that has failed without removing it entirely, just so you know, but let me ask...

How are you prepping the trailer wall where the foam has crumbled away? Are you removing the residue of foam bits and glue, cleaning with solvent, perhaps scuffing a bit, re-solvent washing, and then gluing? I would think it would be difficult to spot repair this, but if I were going to try, that's what I'd do.

Which specific adhesive are you using?

3M makes a variety of spray-on adhesives; at least one is made for "heavy" headliners and high heat, and that is the one I would try. Test first to see what it does to the remaining foam that is adjacent to the repair area.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Captain
Quote:
The cloth with foam insulation in my cadet needs help. This old trailer 1986 has a very nice headliner fabric material with a foam insulation backing that was originally glued to the fiberglass. Over the years the foam has deteriorated to in some places dust and chunks in other places allowing the cloth to sag down. I know I can't do much to replace the foam but it would be very pleasing to the eye if I could just glue the fabric back into place. I have tried the spray on adhesives at Canadian tire for car headliners but that just didn't do it ten minutes and it was falling back down. Does anyone have any suggestions i just don't want to have all this cloth interior torn out and thrown away. The insulation factor doesn't worry me I just use this thing in the warm weather anyways.
I own a 1986 Captain, it had the same interior, the fabric used is exactly that, (automotive foam backed headlining) I was in the business for 32 years replacing headlining..., There is no way to save that cloth, it was originally laminated to the foam which normally lasts between 8 and 12 years, if you got more out of it , bonus, the fabric is very thin, your best bet is to remove the interior, a fairly simple job... replace all the cloth, doesn't have to be headlining, but it can be purchased at a clearance house for about $6 per meter and it is normally 1.3 meters wide, should take about 18 meters.... glue it on with a good quality sprayon adhesive, I would go to an auto detailer and buy it in bulk then use a syphon spray bottle to blow it on, will hold till the foam deteriorates again.., replace your interior and go camping
Gaston (Gus) Croteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Gus,

I had tried not to sound too negative, but I agree in that I have never seen anyone "save" the headliner material (used in boats when I've been dealing with it).

Like Gus says, if it were me I would rip it off, clean off the adhesive residue, and then go from there.

You could just paint the bare fiberglass walls, or re-install open-celled foam, but If it were me, I'd use Ensolite. I know you won't be camping in cold weather, but it also helps to insulate the trailer in warm weather, and, unlike the open-celled variety, it seems to hold up for a loooong time. (I've looked at a lot of 1970's trailers with Ensolite, and unless there was something catastrophic like fire or water/mold from long-term, unattended leaks - or some other specific disaster - the Ensolite has always been in good condition.)

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #5

Name: Lucas
Trailer: 1986 cadet
Ontario
I am in the process of restoring a cadet camper, I am having a really hard time getting anything to stick to the fiver glass, I used fabric and under lay originally with 3m glue and that lasted about a week, so I pulled it out and replaced it with paneling and PL premium, even that is now coming unglued from the ceiling, any ideas why it is doing this? I'm beginning to get pretty frustrated with this trailer! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Lucasvickery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:05 PM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I had the very same problem with a Lil Bigfoot I refurbished.
I tried everything and gave up.
I gutted the trailer, removed all of the old fabric and had an upholstery shop redoing the entire interior with Scamp Rat Fur.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:41 AM   #7

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasvickery View Post
I am in the process of restoring a cadet camper, I am having a really hard time getting anything to stick to the fiver glass, I used fabric and under lay originally with 3m glue and that lasted about a week, so I pulled it out and replaced it with paneling and PL premium, even that is now coming unglued from the ceiling, any ideas why it is doing this? I'm beginning to get pretty frustrated with this trailer! Lol

Why not call the current manufacturers and get some glue from them? Are you gluing to old glue? It should be cleaned down to bare fiberglass that's roughed up.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:26 AM   #8

Ontario
I'm going to have to pull all of the paneling off and sand it down better to get rid of the old glue, I gave up on the rest of the fabric, I like the look of the paneling on the ceiling more anyways, thanks for the advice, I will give it a try!

Old 08-26-2014, 05:29 AM   #9

Ontario
And I haven't really had any luck finding info about this trailer, doesn't seem to be much about it on the web,

Old 01-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #10

Name: Charles
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
It's a widely sold camper in Europe, but under a different name, searching for Cadet doesn't help much. Search for Niewiadow N126 or Predom 126 and you'll find lots of references. Everything from parts and manuals to photos and fix-it stories. Lots on Youtube. It's just not in English, but if you're looking for images and ideas it works well. Google translate helps too!
coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: niewiadów (CADET)
podkarpackie
see here, you have questions, write
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...e_d-67865.html
pawlo fiona n126e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM DUNNE View Post

I have fixed this in the past. Pull down about 1/2 of the fabric and use a hand held wire brush to gently remove the remaining foam from the back of the fabric. Then, using commercial grade headliner spray adhesive (NOT the auto supply stuff, go to a shop that specializes in auto upholstery material like J&J auto fabrics in Fontana, CA (jjautofabrics.com)) and use that to reattach the scraped clean fabric. After that sets, remove the other half and repeat.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cadet