1974 Surfside - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 09:43 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: '74 Surfside TM14
Manitoba
1974 Surfside

Hey there all,

I'm new to the scene and would really like all the advice possible on how to repair the sagging door on my 1974 Surfside. I just bought it and it appears that someone tried to fix the screws in the hinges with drywall anchors.im not even sure if they hinges are original or not. Obviously that didn't work. So now I'm wondering a few things:

What is in the frame of the door? Is there a wood frame inside the fiberglass? Do I need to open up the inside frame and add/replace the wood. What hinges work best? Should I fiberglass over the old hinge holes and go from there?

I'm sure you get the picture here. I would appreciate any and all advice. Thank you!
Schark2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:17 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Karen. A few pics of your problem areas would get better answers......keeps us from guessing .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #3

Manitoba
Pictures

Good morning

I have uploaded pictures of the problem. I hope they give you enough information. Let me know if you can't open them. Thank very much!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2688.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	109868

Name:	IMG_2689.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	109869

Name:	IMG_2691.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	109870

Name:	IMG_2692.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	109871
Old 08-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #4

Name: Jim and Kathie
Trailer: 1979 Surfside
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schark2017 View Post
Hey there all,

I'm new to the scene and would really like all the advice possible on how to repair the sagging door on my 1974 Surfside. I just bought it and it appears that someone tried to fix the screws in the hinges with drywall anchors.im not even sure if they hinges are original or not. Obviously that didn't work. So now I'm wondering a few things:

What is in the frame of the door? Is there a wood frame inside the fiberglass? Do I need to open up the inside frame and add/replace the wood. What hinges work best? Should I fiberglass over the old hinge holes and go from there?

I'm sure you get the picture here. I would appreciate any and all advice. Thank you!
Hi there, my husband and I just took our door apart on a 1979 Surfside - might be the same? Anyway, the door is hollow, the window opening is blocked with 2x2 wood. We didn't open up the door, just removed the window. I thought I had taken a picture of that, but apparently not. I have included one that shows what we did with the defunct lock, and I think you can see the window area in it. We filled the hinge holes, and will be using new hinges from Lee Valley. Don't use the same holes when you put on the new hinges as the filler is just a plug! We had the trailer painted, and can't remember the name of the filler the tradesman used. I can find out, if you need to know.....
Hope this helps, kathie
Jim and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #5

British Columbia
oops, no picture. Let me try again.

The product name is Evercoat. It is a professional filler.

I have (tried) to put up a picture of the original hinge as well. Hope this works.....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4326.jpg  
Old 08-06-2017, 09:28 AM   #6

Manitoba
That's fantastic advice Kathy, thank you!

We don't have a window but knowing that we can get the hinges at Lee Valley is great and the name of the filler would be very useful too.

Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #7

British Columbia
.....and one more time.....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4195.jpg  
Old 08-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #8

Manitoba
Thanks Kathie!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:16 PM   #9

Manitoba
Surfside door hinges

So another question here.

Should I open up the inside of the frame (inside of the door frame) to check the wood that the new screws will attach the hinges to? I'm worried that it maybe rotten and therefore the new hardware won't attach securely.

Any advice? Thanks!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #10

Name: Rufus
Trailer: Surfside TM14
Illinois
Old thread here but the problem is probably universal. This is not a definitive or exhaustive answer but can give a start to evaluating a problem of rot under fiberglass skin.

Squeeze of press on the area w/your hand. Hard and no give is good.

Try drilling a small (1/8 to 1/4) hole in the suspect area, see what kind of debris the drill bit brings out. Dry wood is good.

Install an appropriate sized screw into the hole just drilled leaving it 1/8 to 1/4" proud. Using a hammer claw, a flat bar or other tool with a claw for pulling nails lever up on the screw just installed. Pulling out easily is bad. Use a wide stiff putty knife or similar flat metal under the claw-tool you use in this test to avoid marring or damaging the surface more.

Fill or use the hole if it's good.

Rufus
rlaggren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Surfside
Ontario
Registry
Hello

I had this issue with my trailer a couple of years ago. The hinges were damaged due to wood in door no longer being functional.

I was able to get some nice gate hinges from Lowe's for the door. Then went to an auto supply store (Princess Auto and purchased the gel for fiberglass. I then mixed the fiberglass gel and used a syringe to squeeze it into the holes. I also drilled a few extra holes around this area and squeezed in the the gel. Once the gel had hardened I installed the new hinges and Bobs your Uncle good to go.

The dried wood inside the doors worked like fibers in fiberglass and bounded everything together well. We have used the door for a couple of years now with no issues.

I also did this on the door in the area where the hinges were installed.

John
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2041.jpg  

1978 Surf Side TM-14
2013 Hyundai Tusonhttps://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif
Bushman-esq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #12

Manitoba
‘74 Surfside

This is why this site works so well.

Thank you all for your tips!! The door hangs great and doesn’t swing open while driving 😁. I’m thrilled!!

Next project - resealing and fixing the jalousie windows.

Tags
surfside