Please help me attach a value to my 17' Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
Please help me attach a value to my 17' Bigfoot

I have a 1995 Bigfoot 17 Gaucho model that I am considering selling so that I can buy a newer model of the same trailer and I have a couple of concerns regarding determining a reasonable asking price.

The trailer is overall in good shape for its age. It has clearly had some leakage in the past but it has been fixed and I'm confident that it is not leaking now. But, would a potential buyer have that same confidence? I took up around 10 sq ft of the floor and replaced the wooden cross pieces and plywood.

On the wall beside the window in the front right, some of the contact paper has wrinkled and come loose and, under it are a few water stains. As I mentioned above, I've recaulked everything above that point and it's no longer leaking.

I took down the valances and other coverings around the windows and replaced a couple of the levelor blinds with pleated blinds.

All the appliances work well and I've added a fantastic fan in the bathroom. There's also one in the main part of the trailer.

If anyone feels sufficiently knowledgeable and is willing to take a stab at what is a fair selling price, I'd love to hear what you think and why.

And, if you are interested in buying one, let me know that as well.

Thanks in advance.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
For insurance purposes, we valued our 1973 Amerigo by going online to Craigslist and other trailer sales sites and taking down info for "similar" trailers. I tried for a wide variety of makes, but stuck to similar sizes. We agreed with our insurance co. to value it at $10,000 after Paul completely redid it.

Were we to sell it, I think we'd list it at that, expecting offers might lower it some. It's not the best deal out there, but it is a fairly rare item, and all-electric. Also not the most popular, but those who want it no-propane, low-tech and easy, it'd be perfect.

For non-serious, nosy inquiries, I hope Paul is prepared to say my "conversational price" of $20,000 so if some rich person falls in love at a campground or intersection, we can make hay while the sun shines.

Best of luck with this. It surprised me how much these things can be worth even if they have had some issues.

Many buyers are perfectly prepared to do a little work on them. Some really want a financial bargain, but these trailers are a little harder to get than something with dozens on every sales lot and in all the local newspaper want ads.

This isn't a bad forum to advertise on...and there are many others. IMHO, do that price search and don't lowball yourself right off the bat. That can come when you're desperate to sell.

Now is still a reasonable time to sell with some great camping time left in the summer/autumn.

BEST

"K"

Some great camping time left: Example: Aerial photo of the first weekend in September (check online to be sure) Mt. Baker/Lynden vintage trailer rally. We're on the right near the big tree. True fact. Sorry no arrow or circle!
Attached Thumbnails
MT BAKER RALLY 2016 we're on there!.jpg  
Old 08-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #3

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
a newer model ???

newer than a 95??? that's only 9 years if you mean a newer 1500 series BF17...IF that is the case I think you'd be way better off spending money on your own trailer...improving it, making it better....

if you mean a 2005 or newer....those are 2500 series BF17.5. Different molds, different construction, insulated tanks, yada yada....also about 800lbs heavier.....brand new they are advertised in the mid forties

the wrinkling paper close to opening windows is more common than you'd think....it's caused by leaving windows open...and a sudden rainstorm.

I am on Vancouver Island so if I offered an opinion on price it would not be much help to you. I'm sure there are some BFs for sale in OR and WA....I'd start there.

(and a picture is worth a thousand words)
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
if you mean a 2005 or newer....those are 2500 series BF17.5. Different molds, different construction, insulated tanks, yada yada....also about 800lbs heavier.....brand new they are advertised in the mid forties

That's what I mean.

I am on Vancouver Island so if I offered an opinion on price it would not be much help to you. I'm sure there are some BFs for sale in OR and WA....I'd start there.

It would still represent one more data point.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
If you search here you should get an idea
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...-trailers-sold
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #6

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It’s always tricky, but you just need to look at the site linked (rv4sale) and compare similar units. You can look at past trailers too, that have already sold on that site.

Then just be honest, but fair to yourself. No one selling a 25 year old trailer is selling something pristine. Everything has had repairs.

My 91 was about $9,000, with no major issues, but also not one single upgrade in 25 years. It was not “mint”.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #7

Name: Philip
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
1995 Bigfoot 17 Value

I purchased my 1995 Bigfoot 17CB for $11k about a year ago. Excellent condition. In Oregon. Hard to find. Good luck with sale.

Phil
Auburn, CA
Fullbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:06 PM   #8

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I paid 8500.00 CAN for my 91 some 8 years ago.

I added air conditioning and upgraded the electrical as well as a lift kit to improve clearance. At the moment if i were selling it would be priced 10-12 thousand CAN.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:56 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I bought my 1989 without any modifications really for $6500 about 2 years ago. I have done some stuff now and would probably sell it for $8500.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot