jalousie window maintenace - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1977 Triple E
Ontario
jalousie window maintenace

Hello

I have a 1977 Surfside camper. The jalousie windows do not close tight.

I will add a few pictures'

I need advise, here are a few questions that I have, possibly someone has already worked on their windows?

1) what is the identity of this window

2) the hand crank does not close tight, it seems to not engage in the last turns. I assume the crank needs replacement?

3) will I need to completely remove the window from the camper to clean the window and replace the crank.

Any and all advise appreciated.

Thank you

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0582.jpg   IMG_0583.jpg  

IMG_0584.jpg   IMG_0585.jpg  

William Urie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Could it be the operator mechanism? They wear out making operating tough, and are cheap to replace. Both right and left needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Yes the problem is the torque operator. When it wears out, you have to turn the crank several times before the window starts opening, and then when you try to close the window, it appears to be closed, but doesn't actually lock down tight. Driving down the road, my worn out torque operators caused the windows to flap open and closed. Can't be good for the windows, and I replaced the torque operators asap.

As Jim mentioned there is a left version and a right version. To determine the correct torque operator to order, you need to get the model number off the torque operator, or off the window. This may require taking apart the window, or at least removing the torque operator. Our Trillium 4500 jalousie windows are Hehr Series 4900, and for those the model number is on the sill.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #4

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Could it be the operator mechanism? They wear out making operating tough, and are cheap to replace. Both right and left needed.
Thank you Jim

where did you get the replacement mechanisms from?
Old 08-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #5

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Yes the problem is the torque operator. When it wears out, you have to turn the crank several times before the window starts opening, and then when you try to close the window, it appears to be closed, but doesn't actually lock down tight. Driving down the road, my worn out torque operators caused the windows to flap open and closed. Can't be good for the windows, and I replaced the torque operators asap.

As Jim mentioned there is a left version and a right version. To determine the correct torque operator to order, you need to get the model number off the torque operator, or off the window. This may require taking apart the window, or at least removing the torque operator. Our Trillium 4500 jalousie windows are Hehr Series 4900, and for those the model number is on the sill.
Thank you John

I will look for the model number. to find the number will I need to remove the window from the camper?
Old 08-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Bill, the location of the window model number depends on the window brand and series. For the Hehr Series 4900, the model number is visible on the sill, so no need to remove the window to view it. Not sure about other brands and series.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Urie View Post
Thank you Jim

where did you get the replacement mechanisms from?
https://interstatervmetalandsupply.c...s-window-parts

Bought all the replacement rubber here too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #8

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
https://interstatervmetalandsupply.c...s-window-parts

Bought all the replacement rubber here too.
Jim, thank you. this is very helpful. Bill
Old 08-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #9

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Bill, the location of the window model number depends on the window brand and series. For the Hehr Series 4900, the model number is visible on the sill, so no need to remove the window to view it. Not sure about other brands and series.
John, thank you for this information. Bill

Tags
surfside