oxygen awning - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #21

Name: Antonius
Trailer: in the market
Quebec
More about the Bonair Oxygen...:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver the place View Post
We've had our Oxygen for about 7 or 8 years now and love it. It was purchased in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island and was originally sold new in Moose Jaw Sask. We did run into a guy (figuratively) while camping that said he owned one. This would have been a few years ago. He had been searching for one for awhile. He shared that he had paid $15,500 for his. I know that new off the lot these were priced at over twenty thousand. Can I ask what they are selling for now out in your area? Also, I was told at one time how many were manufactured but can't recall, can you confirm? We've make no changes to ours, although I did see some pics on this site of an Oxygen a fellow updated, paint, upholstery, counter top and a beautiful wooden door for the washroom. Perhaps you've seen them? I thought about installing a shower but I am still very hesitant about altering the original product.
Cheers.
Hi Oliver,

According to many testimonies found here and there, there has been between only 90 to a hundred units made in Thetford Mines, Quebec! Most of the first 30 units made in 2001 had been recalled due to fiberglass delamination problems. The remaining units which came out in 2002 were OK. Bonair owned by Peak Industries was a leading manufacturer making small to big trailer-campers (fifth wheels). It was creating a lot of jobs in this rural zone. However, it seems that they've invested a lot of R&D into this revolutionary ''Oxygen'' model to boost the company which was financially in a pretty bad shape. Unfortunately, things didn't work out well... The factory was totally destroyed by a huge fire and soon after the company declared bankruptcy. I think this has nothing to do with the Oxygen... Should have they survived, they would have sold big quantities of this concept today. The downside is that a fiberglass camper has a much higher manufacturing cost compared to the cheap boxes made today. Original MRSP was between 23 to 27K depending on options. In 2003, last units sitting at dealers were discounted near 17-18K. This being said, today used market price varies between 8 to 17 K depending on how well it has been maintained and/or upgraded. If made today, these would cost minimum 35K and up (CAD currency) but hey, they can last a very long time!

The previous owner did an archeological search to find the original brochure at dealers and he found one! Should you want a copy, I will happily send you one (only 1 page of the Bonair general catalogue).

We will definitely install a shower drain, most probably with a 12V water pump to evacuate waste to the grey/black water tank. Here are pics of various interior/exterior gathered over the web. Cheers from Montreal!
Attached Thumbnails
$_27 (2).JPG   IMG_2474 (1).jpg  

IMG_2483.jpg   14_500_fiberglass_camper_bonair_oxygen_21827262.jpg  

user39392_pic9608_1447091440.jpg   Lynden  09-08-12 09_14DSC_0112.jpg  

Attached Images

antonius R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #22

Quebec
Very intesresting awning concept. Will never brake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
You can take a look at something like this track. Mine is mounted to the Scamp with 3M VHB tape. So while not easy to remove can be, and no holes.

Awning Rail - 90 degree - 8 Foot

This can be run along the roof far enough back to avoid the curved walls. You might then talk to Marti's about making the awning, she does custom work Marti's Vintage Trailer Awnings Or also look to Vintage Trailer for an awning Vintage Trailer Awnings

Last but not least you can attach a nylon tarp such as one posted in an earlier post. I used this approach and the homemade hangers like the ones in the link below to put up a 10 x 12 nylon tarp, track is far enough over the door that I can go in and out without getting wet in the rain. No mosquito nets however.

Make your own Awning Track Hangers

On my little scamp the 12 ft. side of tarp goes into the track using the center 4 grommets and then I have a pole about a foot out from each corner on the camper side of the tarp. Three poles on the outer side. My tarp is really big for my camper but then we spend most of our time outside, even for cooking so lots of room is nice.
Wow! Thanks very much Roger!

This is a great and simple idea for an economical yet beautiful awning.
Congrats!

See flipped out images of retro and space age fiberglass campers!
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #23

Name: Grant
Trailer: Bonair
Alberta
Hi Antonius,

Thank you so much for the information, greatly appreciated. It's nice to know we have something truly special. The variety of applications is amazing, including the pics. I assume the "Oxygen Plus" was the one that the guy finished with plexiglass sealed windows and no screen door? I love the pic with the telescopic table operation. I am curious as to why you would require the installation of a 12 volt pump to transfer the shower waste water into the grey/black water holding tank? I would assume that once plumbed it would drain by way of gravity into the holding tank? I am a layman, perhaps I'm off my mark. Is this to avoid back flow and or odor?
Thanks as always, cheers.
Oliver.
Oliver the place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:52 PM   #24

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver the place View Post
Hi Antonius,

Thank you so much for the information, greatly appreciated. It's nice to know we have something truly special. The variety of applications is amazing, including the pics. I assume the "Oxygen Plus" was the one that the guy finished with plexiglass sealed windows and no screen door? I love the pic with the telescopic table operation. I am curious as to why you would require the installation of a 12 volt pump to transfer the shower waste water into the grey/black water holding tank? I would assume that once plumbed it would drain by way of gravity into the holding tank? I am a layman, perhaps I'm off my mark. Is this to avoid back flow and or odor?
Thanks as always, cheers.
Oliver.
Hi again Oliver,

Its my pleasure to share information on this unique camper.

Regarding shower, I haven't figured out yet, it was just a guess to install a water pump. Most probably a gravity drain is enough with a P-trap and other similar plumbing gizmo to prevent backflow and odours. If unecessary, we'll do the simpliest thing. I am now polishing it with boat stuff. Then we will probably change all the original LPG lines (safety, safety comes first) and check the 12V converter which seems to be of a poor design. Grimjed, a member here, told me this. I am also thinking to install a ''Marey'' propane tankless instantaneous water heater, they sell for around $200 and must be installed inside the shower because of the dual vent which needs access to outside. Regarding a noisy rooftop AC, not sure about this unless we plan to drive all the way down to Arizona or New Mexico...:-)

Anyway, we just want to go in the wild northern boreal forest and live by ourselves. On other trips, we may visit friends in the countryside and simply hook the water and 15 amp power cord for more convenience.

I can be reached at antoine007 at g...

Cheers from Montreal
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #25

Name: Co
Trailer: Bonair Oxygen
Ontario
Dear Antonius R.

I own the camper with that 'shitty, ugly door', which by the way is the ONLY one I know off which is NOT just a straight slab. There are two pictures of my camper on this page. The door actually follows the contour lines of the body. This door was made with molds and I'm sure it was a new development which would have been installed in all new models.

Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth into gear.
Kayak Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:24 AM   #26

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak Paddler View Post
Dear Antonius R.

I own the camper with that 'shitty, ugly door', which by the way is the ONLY one I know off which is NOT just a straight slab. There are two pictures of my camper on this page. The door actually follows the contour lines of the body. This door was made with molds and I'm sure it was a new development which would have been installed in all new models.

Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth into gear.
Hello Kayak Paddler,

Thanks for the quote.
I understand you are the owner of the glossy grey ''Oxygen plus''. Congrats!

I sincerely apologize for my comments about the door, no offend here.
Actually, I wanted to write I did not liked the fact that the remaining units finished by an employee after the fire didn't had opening windows/bug screens (except for the kitchen window) including the outer door. On the other hand, your unit with plexiglass windows looks definitely more high tech, like a space shuttle. Result is a much more streamlined look, no doubt about this. And there are no ugly decals like on mine. I just feel that the Casita style door hinges are not as sturdy than the original Piano hinges. However, your interior is beautiful, we like very the blue (with white pattern) color of the fabric. Did you installed a shower drain? This is my next step. I intend to fix everything that doesn't work because I'll keep it for a long time.

Right now, rare sight, there is one model like yours (white 2002) for sale in Quebec on Kijiji, the guy is asking 9K negotiable. If someone is interested:

Roulotte Oxygen 2002 Bonair | autre | Saint-Hyacinthe | Kijiji

Take care and enjoy your egg

Cheers from Montreal!
Attached Thumbnails
$_27 (10).JPG   $_27 (11).JPG  

$_27.JPG   $_27 (1).JPG  

Old 04-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #27

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonius R. View Post
Hello Kayak Paddler,

Thanks for the quote.
I understand you are the owner of the glossy grey ''Oxygen plus''. Congrats!

I sincerely apologize for my comments about the door, no offend here.
Actually, I wanted to write I did not liked the fact that the remaining units finished by an employee after the fire didn't had opening windows/bug screens (except for the kitchen window) including the outer door. On the other hand, your unit with plexiglass windows looks definitely more high tech, like a space shuttle. Result is a much more streamlined look, no doubt about this. And there are no ugly decals like on mine. I just feel that the Casita style door hinges are not as sturdy than the original Piano hinges. However, your interior is beautiful, we like very the blue (with white pattern) color of the fabric. Did you installed a shower drain? This is my next step. I intend to fix everything that doesn't work because I'll keep it for a long time.

Right now, rare sight, there is one model like yours (white 2002) for sale in Quebec on Kijiji, the guy is asking 9K negotiable. If someone is interested:

Roulotte Oxygen 2002 Bonair | autre | Saint-Hyacinthe | Kijiji

Take care and enjoy your egg

Cheers from Montreal!
Guess I'll forgive you. You might like to edit some of your remarks.

The Oxygen Plus does have a shower with a drain. The bathroom room has a 'false' floor which is an inch or so above the camper floor. The shower was there when I bought it. Unlike some Oxygen camper pictures I've seen, there is no vent pipe.

I have a very small electric heater with a temperature control located in front of the water tank.

With help from a friend, I was finally able to get the air conditioner working by installing a baffle, and some low density foam, which prevent the hot exhaust air from being re-circulated. The A/C is located under the seat next to the fridge.

I live in Cornwall, On if you'd ever like to see the shower.

Most of the Oxygen pictures I've seen have the tables supported on a set of ironing-board-like scissor legs, but mine, like the one in the picture above, is supported on two PVC legs, with a short one is used to support the table when it is used as a bed.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:44 PM   #28

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak Paddler View Post
Guess I'll forgive you. You might like to edit some of your remarks.

The Oxygen Plus does have a shower with a drain. The bathroom room has a 'false' floor which is an inch or so above the camper floor. The shower was there when I bought it. Unlike some Oxygen camper pictures I've seen, there is no vent pipe.

I have a very small electric heater with a temperature control located in front of the water tank.

With help from a friend, I was finally able to get the air conditioner working by installing a baffle, and some low density foam, which prevent the hot exhaust air from being re-circulated. The A/C is located under the seat next to the fridge.

I live in Cornwall, On if you'd ever like to see the shower.

Most of the Oxygen pictures I've seen have the tables supported on a set of ironing-board-like scissor legs, but mine, like the one in the picture above, is supported on two PVC legs, with a short one is used to support the table when it is used as a bed.
Hi again Kayak Paddler,

Sorry I cannot edit my post, system don't allow me.
I believe your ''Oxygen Plus'' still has the sharpest look.

I will certainly drop by whenever I travel near Cornwall. I haven't investigated yet how to add a shower, would certainly choose a simple solution if it works by gravity. We do have a vent pipe though. No A/C in ours... Interestingly, a sticker behind the kitchen sink door says it is NOT recommended to install a A/C roof unit, which is too heavy for the structure. This is probably why yours is installed at floor level, under the seat in the front.

Since we've bought ours less than a month ago, we are into redoing all the upholstery, checking everything from A to Z:

Electricity (12V converter), fridge, plumbing, LPG hoses... We do have the original electric water heater but thinking to perhaps install a ''Marey'' (or similar) tankless propane water heater which must be installed into the shower because of external access needed for the vent. also maybe add a solar panel on the roof to keep the battery in top shape...

We already installed new brakes and tires, the most important.

Today was the beauty salon job, a professional wax (fiberglass boat style) made in 3 steps... Quite an exhausting task...:-)

More to post soon!
Attached Thumbnails
017 (444x600).jpg   018 (600x450).jpg  

019 (600x450).jpg   033 (450x600).jpg  

Old 04-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #29

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonius R. View Post
Hi again Kayak Paddler,

Sorry I cannot edit my post, system don't allow me.
I believe your ''Oxygen Plus'' still has the sharpest look.

I will certainly drop by whenever I travel near Cornwall. I haven't investigated yet how to add a shower, would certainly choose a simple solution if it works by gravity. We do have a vent pipe though. No A/C in ours... Interestingly, a sticker behind the kitchen sink door says it is NOT recommended to install a A/C roof unit, which is too heavy for the structure. This is probably why yours is installed at floor level, under the seat in the front.

Since we've bought ours less than a month ago, we are into redoing all the upholstery, checking everything from A to Z:

Electricity (12V converter), fridge, plumbing, LPG hoses... We do have the original electric water heater but thinking to perhaps install a ''Marey'' (or similar) tankless propane water heater which must be installed into the shower because of external access needed for the vent. Also maybe add a solar panel on the roof to keep the battery in top shape...

We already installed new brakes and tires, the most important.

Today was the beauty salon job, a professional wax (fiberglass boat style) made in 3 steps... Quite an exhausting task...:-)

More to post soon!
More pics...
Attached Thumbnails
028 (450x600).jpg   045 (450x600).jpg  

046 (600x450).jpg   023 (600x450).jpg  

Old 04-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #30

Ontario
My hot water tank is propane fired and is located under the bed next to sink and the 12 volt water pump. A removable grill allows access from the outside. Insects from time to time make nests in the ignition system - a bit of a nuisance.

I have a DVD player hooked up to a small TV/monitor. I can hook up to my Raspberry Pi computer to the monitor if the campsite offers WIFI.

I have seen pictures of several Oxygens with AC units on top, but didn't know Bonair recommended against it. I thought about doing just that at one point.

Happy camping.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #31

Trailer: 2002 Bonair Oxygen
Seeking Photos of Awning Attached to Oxygen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole Turgeon View Post
here's a picture that can respond your question. the snaps at the bottom are for the skirt ( against moskitos...)
Hi, Carole.
An awning/screen room is something that my wife is keen on attaching to our 2002 Oxygen.
In your posting from last year about your awning, you shared a photo of yours on your Oxygen. You also spoke of additional photos showing how the awning was attached to your trailer. Would you share those photos again, as I cannot locate them on the thread?
Thank you.
- Kirby
Kirby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #32

Trailer: 2002 Bonair Oxygen
What Are on Your Bumper of this Oxygen?

Hi, Antonius.
In your posting on the thread "Oxygen Awning", posting # 28, you shared four photos. One of them shows the back bumper with four "things" on each side of the license plate holder.
What are they?
Thank you.
- Kirby
Kirby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #33

Name: Grant
Alberta
Funny, I noticed those too, not more than a few minutes ago. Good eye and question.
Cheers.
Grant.
Oliver the place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #34

Name: Paul
Ontario
Registry
Home made awning for Oxygen

My wife and I decided to make our own awning for our Oxygen trailer. The challenge for us was how do we attach it to our trailer without taking away from the look of the trailer. To accomplish this we decided there was no way around drilling holes in the roof. I purchased two marine pad eyes and attached them to the front and rear flat sections of the roof. I then purchased a couple of Velcro straps with grommets. The straps loop around the pad eyes and the grommets provide a place to attach a pole to the trailer. Then we purchased some Sunbrella marine fabric and got to work. To be honest, we've never taken on a sewing project like this, but hey, how hard could it be?

When the awning is not attached, the pad eyes are barely noticeable.

The awning takes about 5 to 10 minutes to set up. Version 1.0 had a sagging problem. Version 1.1 added a center support pole.

We will see soon how this performs while camping. Fingers crossed...

Pictures are better than words...

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0534.jpg   IMG_0536.jpg  

IMG_0538.jpg   IMG_0539.jpg  

grimjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #35

Quebec
Very Nice Job Grimjed!

This is very nice, we like it!

My wife and I tought getting rid of the awful awning which was installed by the previous owner as it totally destroys the magnificent look of our Oxygen camper. See pic.

This is quite inspiring and simple, velcro and no holes!

We will follow your example.

Thanks for posting Grimjed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimjed View Post
My wife and I decided to make our own awning for our Oxygen trailer. The challenge for us was how do we attach it to our trailer without taking away from the look of the trailer. To accomplish this we decided there was no way around drilling holes in the roof. I purchased two marine pad eyes and attached them to the front and rear flat sections of the roof. I then purchased a couple of Velcro straps with grommets. The straps loop around the pad eyes and the grommets provide a place to attach a pole to the trailer. Then we purchased some Sunbrella marine fabric and got to work. To be honest, we've never taken on a sewing project like this, but hey, how hard could it be?

When the awning is not attached, the pad eyes are barely noticeable.

The awning takes about 5 to 10 minutes to set up. Version 1.0 had a sagging problem. Version 1.1 added a center support pole.

We will see soon how this performs while camping. Fingers crossed...

Pictures are better than words...

Old 08-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #36

Quebec
Very Nice Job Grimjed!

This is very nice, we like it!

My wife and I tought getting rid of the awful awning which was installed by the previous owner as it totally destroys the magnificent look of our Oxygen camper. See pic.

This is quite inspiring and simple, velcro and no holes!

We will follow your example.

Thanks for posting Grimjed!

Here is the picture of our 2002 Oxygen with the horrible awning we want to get rid of...
Attached Thumbnails
Oxygen 2002.jpg  

Tags
oxygen