Newby from SoCal with a Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 03:08 AM   #1

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Newby from SoCal with a Burro

Hello everyone, just another newby from SoCal. Boy does that sound strange. So let me tell you a little about myself. I’ve been around teardrops and vintage travel trailers for several years but this molded fiberglass RV thing is new to me. I’ve built one teardrop and restore two vintage travel trailers and one teardrop. I’ve always wanted an ‘egg’ but it’s always been on the back burner. Well last week I sold my 9’ Field and Stream so with cash in hand I went looking. I only wanted a Burro, a U-Haul or a Boler. A good friend of mine just happened to have a Burro that he was getting ready for paint (inside and out). It is now mine. I’m going to direct and he is going to restore it for me (my health prevent me from doing any restoring or building any more). Couple of things I’m going to do is make the dinette a permanent bed and then up front the couch will be turned into a small dinette. All new birch inside including replacing the roof carpet with about a 2’ birch strip. The outside is going to be painted silver metallic and indigo blue metallic. Well that’s it in a nut shell. I just know I have some question and I’m looking forward to your help. I’m also looking forward to camping in the Burro and meeting some of you that are here on the forum.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Hi Gage, I was wondering why I was seeing your picture on the home page here of people that like fiberglassrv. I thought maybe you were just browsing the forum. With your camper experience I'm sure you'll end up with a real fine Burro. You can even bring it out here to Fish Creek, as there's been a few fiberglass campers there the last couple years. We found a Uhaul camper little over a year ago, fixed it up some, and went south for the winter. Still working on it with some modifications to make it a little more comfy for next winter. We'll use our old teardrop mostly for the summer. To other members here; we have met Gage, and he is a very interesting and knowledgeable guy, and I thoroughly enjoyed talking with him when he made the trip east a few years ago. So welcome Gage, I think you'll enjoy the Burro, but don't give up the teardrop. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Welcome Gage, and good luck with the Burro. We are in an exploring mode for a 'glass egg, after restoring a '79 Sunline Sunspot and an '83 Sunline T-1550. Other than Bob & Mary lucking into that U-Haul they got, all the good used egg candidates seems to be in CA, WA or TX! 'Glass campers are few and far between in the NE, or at least ones for sale!

Shoot some pics, and let folks here enjoy the upcoming renovation.

Best of luck!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
welcome

I also came from the world of teardrops....i actually had one of the gull-wing american teardrops for a number of years, however the older I got, the harder it was for me to get dressed laying down (Ha Ha)...Anyway i'm in So Cal and travel around quite a bit for work, including the Ant Valley area (I remember seeing on one of your teardrop post that that was home) If that is still true and you have any questions etc drop me a note

Good like with your trailer & welcome again.......there is a great get together in Ojai (lake Casisata)the weekend on Nov 1st
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Gage to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here.

Sounds like you have some nice plans for your new-to-you rollin' home. Be sure to post picture when you can
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome. Every time I see a 13' Burro, I can't believe how similar it is to a UHaul. I mean, right down to the molded character lines behind the stove. There must have been an interesting design exchange when UHaul set off to make their own.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
Hello everyone, just another newby from SoCal. Boy does that sound strange. So let me tell you a little about myself. I’ve been around teardrops and vintage travel trailers for several years but this molded fiberglass RV thing is new to me. I’ve built one teardrop and restore two vintage travel trailers and one teardrop. I’ve always wanted an ‘egg’ but it’s always been on the back burner. Well last week I sold my 9’ Field and Stream so with cash in hand I went looking. I only wanted a Burro, a U-Haul or a Boler. A good friend of mine just happened to have a Burro that he was getting ready for paint (inside and out). It is now mine. I’m going to direct and he is going to restore it for me (my health prevent me from doing any restoring or building any more). Couple of things I’m going to do is make the dinette a permanent bed and then up front the couch will be turned into a small dinette. All new birch inside including replacing the roof carpet with about a 2’ birch strip. The outside is going to be painted silver metallic and indigo blue metallic. Well that’s it in a nut shell. I just know I have some question and I’m looking forward to your help. I’m also looking forward to camping in the Burro and meeting some of you that are here on the forum.
Welcome Gage, hope to see you camping in that Burro soon.
Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #8

Name: Laura
Trailer: Learning about trailers
Oregon
Welcome and your project sounds wonderful!

With your experience and knowledge, I bet your camper will be amazing. I sure hope you post progress photos! Looking forward to seeing your progress and meeting you irl some day.
LauraP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:27 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraP View Post
With your experience and knowledge, I bet your camper will be amazing. I sure hope you post progress photos! Looking forward to seeing your progress and meeting you irl some day.
Laura, this thread is from 2013. Always good to notice dates. Not sure if Gage is still active now, but I recall a few more recent posts and maybe a picture or two. If you click on his username, a drop-down menu gives an option to view additional posts by the same person. You can also view his profile to see when he last visited the forum or send him a private message.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Gage passed away some time ago. He was quite a character and very knowledgeable. We met him in the Adirondacks of NY, he had drove from California pulling his teardrop camper with a '58 Ford station wagon. As I recall it was a '58, but could have been a year or two off that.
EDIT, after thinking about it I'm pretty sure Gage was driving a 59 Ford wagon. Halfway into the trip he had to stop for repairs to the car, might have been tierod ends or some other suspension part.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:31 PM   #11

Name: Laura
Trailer: Learning about trailers
Oregon
Thank you. I’m sorry I missed him.
LauraP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry