Done! Maxxfan Installed in Eggcamper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #21

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Here is the Maxx Fan in the open position. Note the slight curve of the cover, which allowed the cover to close completely over the belly band.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #22

Florida
Registry
Here is the fan in the closed position. The whole project took about 3 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
2011 Eggcamper #106
Old 10-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #23

Florida
Registry
And, finally! Here is a view from inside, showing that the fan location is in the middle of the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
2011 Eggcamper #106
Old 10-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
really, really nice and thanks for the great photo documentation. That will be helpful to others.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #25

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Very nice, Letitia! Thanks for sharing photos and commentary to go along with each. Now that you're a pro at this, I wish you were closer and hired out! Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #26

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
maxxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
And, finally! Here is a view from inside, showing that the fan location is in the middle of the roof.
I also installed the maxxfan on my eggcamper. I placed mine over to one side, close to the middle seam, but not on it. It does a very good job. I leave mine partially open at all times to allow for ventilation and there are no issues with rain. I do lower it all the way of course when traveling.
It is nice to sleep under. I use it much more than I do the a/c.
weldon freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You don't have to lower it for traveling. It has a lock to hold it open or closed or midway. It won't be bouncing up and down over the bumps.
If you pull down ( doing this from memory ), if you pull down on the knob that is used to open and close it, it locks. Push the knob up and you can turn the knob to open or close.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #28

Florida
Registry
Hello Weldon,
It's great to hear that you are enjoying your fan....lucky for you that you did not have to worry about the fit over the middle seam. It seems that (from looking at photos), Eggcampers had the factory installed fan placed in various locations....near the shower, over the bed, on the side of the seam, or right in the middle. Ours happened to be right in the middle, and of course we did not want to cut a new hole! So we were lucky that it fit....hope if anyone else decides to take the plunge, he or she will have the same experience that we did.

Looking forward to some cooler weather when we won't need the AC and we can give this thing a whirl!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Old 10-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #29

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Very nice, Letitia! Thanks for sharing photos and commentary to go along with each. Now that you're a pro at this, I wish you were closer and hired out! Dale
Thanks Dale! But I only took the photos, husband did all the work!!

I think the next thing on his list is to add a "porch" light. Then change out lighting for LED. Then upgrade AC....LOL that's a long list 🙀
2011 Eggcamper #106
Old 10-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #30

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Greetings Letitia,
We have two MaxxFann 5100K fans in use on our rigs. One on the Parkliner and one on our Van Conversion. I have measured the amperage draw at the various settings and thought i'd share them as an FYI for you and any interested Eggsters. We really appreciate the range of settings (as other owners have also noted).

Starting at the lowest setting i will label as "1" and stepping up in speed to "10" i recorded the following on the installed Xantrex volt/amp meter:
Readings in amps per hour:

1=0.3
2=0.5
3=0.7
4=1.0
5=1.3
6=1.7
7=2.3
8=2.8
9=3.4
10=4.6

We mostly keep ours preset at 3 and during this past season have typically run the fan only mid afternoon for ~20 to 30 minutes after returning from river-time to take any heat out of the PL. Then maybe ~10 or so minutes in the van before we head in for a night's rest. Life in the PNW doesn't see much use out of the fan for our style, though we are happy we've got them installed just in case the heat does show up in camp. And since we dry camp for ~a week at a time between charges i know exactly how long i can run the various appliances with our battery bank. Thus my desire to record amperage draw as noted above.

We love our MaxxFans! & will always request them over the _other_ popular fan out there.

Our MaxxFann couple : )

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #31

Florida
Registry
Thank you very much Thom! That is really useful, as we plan to do a bit of boon docking when the heat & humidity subside. I'll copy your information and keep it in our camper manual.
2011 Eggcamper #106
Old 11-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #32

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Hi Letitia - Are y'all still happy with your MaxxFan and the way it fit over that center seam rib? Any new suggestions or cautions? I'm tempted to go for it and hope it goes as smoothly for us as it did for you guys.

Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #33

Florida
Registry
Hi Dale,

Yes, we are still very happy that we changed the old "fan" for the MaxxFan....we have used it a few times, but really still need to use the AC down here in South Florida. We had it in the "ceiling fan" mode during our last camp out and it seemed to move the cool air from the AC so that was good. As soon as the weather gets a little less hot and humid we plan to boondock in the Everglades so the MaxxFan will be put to use for sure.

If you decide to install one yourself, I hope it goes in as easily as ours did. Don't see why it wouldn't.... Let us know!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Old 07-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #34

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Eggcamper
New York
Hi Letitia, we are about to install a Maxxfan in our EggCamper. How did you move around and work on the roof? Is it strong enough to just sit up there? thanks for any info...Lisa Fingerlakes
Lisa Fingerlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #35

Florida
Registry
Hi Lisa,
My 200# husband sat on the roof with no problem. We really like the fan....good luck with the installation!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Old 07-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #36

New York
Thanks Letitia, that info gives us more confidence about the strength of the roof. Looking forward to the new fan!
Old 07-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #37

New York
Hi All,
We also successfully installed a Maxxfan in our EggCamper, BUT we did have to trim away almost 3/8 inch of the rib edge with a sawzall to get it to close all the way. Lots of fiberglass dust. If you have to do this( I think they may be all a little different)be sure to cover the entrance to the fan before cutting and making all the dust! We took out the little screws that hold the ends of the seam cover and removed it except just where it was caulked in at the fan end, we bent that back to get the cutting done and then reinstalled the seam cover. All seems to be well, we love the fan and it doesn't seem to have caused harm to the camper roof. I admit I was pretty nervous to be cutting into my beloved EggCamper!
One other note is that in a heavy wind driven downpour a little rain did manage to get in through the vent but in most rain situations it has been fine.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #38

Name: Andrew
Trailer: eggcamper 2006#37
California
maxx fan efficientcy

Hi Letitia,

I was thinking about updating with the maxx fan deluxe and I very much appreciate your thread on it. What I have not been able to find is if it is VERY effective. I intend to do a lot of boondocking and I wonder if the fan works effectively to get the egg to the desired setting on the control. Will it cool to the thermostat setting is my question?
all nest
andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
Hello,
Today, we replaced the factory-installed "fan" placed in the middle of the roof where the belly band is located on our 2011 Eggcamper. We bought a 5100k Maxx Fan because we liked the feature of being able to leave it open in the rain.
Our main worry was whether or not it would close completely over the belly band (necessary when we use AC).

Since a few members on the forum expressed interest in the installation of the Maxx Fan, I took photos
abwegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #39

Florida
Registry
We have never actually used our fan that way...with the thermostat. We have turned it on when arriving at a campsite to start cooling things off before turning on the AC, or just run it a little while if the weather is cool enough to not need AC. We do like the fan, and it is a great improvement over the factory installed Fantastic Fan. We had a small problem recently, and the customer service was beyond 100% great.
2011 Eggcamper #106
Old 06-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #40

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Another benefit for us that has not been mentioned is to create "white" noise. Seems like a lot of campgrounds are right next to a busy highway, or worse still, between a highway and freight train tracks!!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper