Hey Escape owners - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #21

Name: Jimmie
Trailer: Scamp 13' 2001
California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Yes ; Storing chocks , WD Hitch parts , leveling blocks etc .
The storage box is one on the few things on our SOB trailer that has lived up to our expectations
Similar to Steve’s reply, we store in the tongue of our 19” ESCAPE all of our outdoor set up tools, Hitch parts, gloves for the grey/black water, emergency tool kit, etc. It is light weight and easy to get into and out of so it would be very hard to build one for yourself. It is worth the money!!
Jimmie Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #22

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Along with agreeing with the other posters on it's value, The storage box also serves to protect the trailer front from road hazards, like the truck tire tread that was kicked up and hit and slightly cracked my storage box, instead of putting a hole in my trailer.
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:41 AM   #23

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
In my yard I have to do a serious jack-knife when backing my trailer into it's spot. I rely on the tow mirrors for this. Have never considered adding a camera to aid in the process, though it's often very tedious. Have banged into the canopy poles 3-4 times and when that happens the (manual) awning brackets get busted.

Have decided this is simply a technique problem. Working on it.

The Escape supplied tongue box, most owners agree, is an invaluable asset. But I sure wasn't going to pay them $700bucks for it. Yet, a bigger issue for me turned out to be shmooshing into my proud, home-boy-made tongue box, with the tow bumper. Issue has recently been resolved. I changed the ball mount to a longer version.
Attached Thumbnails
JckKnif1.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #24

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
In my yard I have to do a serious jack-knife when backing my trailer into it's spot. I rely on the tow mirrors for this. Have never considered adding a camera to aid in the process, though it's often very tedious. Have banged into the canopy poles 3-4 times and when that happens the (manual) awning brackets get busted.

I have an extremely difficult backing problem in my back yard as well. My solution is to use my Honda Element to back the trailer into the carport. The Element has a much shorter wheelbase which makes backing in so much easier.

My other choice would be to tear up my backyard and make the driveway much better suited for backing. That would require hauling off many, many loads of dirt, and make the yard look more like a used car lot.

If I had more room, then a longer receiver would be a good solution.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I have an extremely difficult backing problem in my back yard as well. My solution is to use my Honda Element to back the trailer into the carport. The Element has a much shorter wheelbase which makes backing in so much easier.

My other choice would be to tear up my backyard and make the driveway much better suited for backing. That would require hauling off many, many loads of dirt, and make the yard look more like a used car lot.

If I had more room, then a longer receiver would be a good solution.
I have considered mounting a front hitch receiver on the JGC. While Curt offers a front-mount receiver kit, I'm considering having something custom fabricated to mount where the passenger-side front tow hook is bolted on.

I have seen front hitches mounted this way and they provide great visibility if you can accommodate the extra width of the tow and trailer being offset like that. In our case, this would be a good fit with the particular maneuvers that I need to make when storing ours.

Edit: Oh, and we consider the Escape front storage box invaluable. It provides a separate for all the chocks, blocks and tow gear along with various dirty and/or wet things. Momma likes that.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape