1974 Beachcomber Reno - COMPLETE! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #41

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I don't know the brand, but here's some information that should help.

ecustomhitch - Amazon Marketplace <ld7dl3kdgckzrwc@marketplace.amazon.com>
Mar 3

to Walter
These are rated for 2,150 lbs.

Guy
Custom Hitch

----- Original Message -----
I need to know what the load limit is on

Trailer Rim Wheel 15" 15X6 5 Lug Hole Bolt Steel Highway Wheel White Modular

listed on Amazon

Walt
Old 04-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #42

Name: Alex
Trailer: Boler 1300
Alberta
They look an awful lot like american racing mojave II wheels, although I didn't realize they came in a trailer size rim.
AJCmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #43

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Looks so great. I love the bunks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:05 PM   #44

Name: Mark
Trailer: '79 Beachcomber
Alberta
Wow!! Looks great!!

We just picked up a (The lady we bought it from said 69 but I don't think they were made in 69) Beachcomber. I know nothing about trailers but this one looks like it's in good shape. My wife and two kids are planning a trip to Texas as well this summer.
Can't wait to fix mine up. But where do I start?!
MarkMato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #45

Name: Jonathon
Trailer: Beachcomber
Alberta
Hello,
What did you do for painting the exterior? I just picked one up myself and am starting the demo process.
sully1582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #46

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
How do you go about framing the inside?

courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #47

Name: Brad
British Columbia
Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1582 View Post
Hello,
What did you do for painting the exterior? I just picked one up myself and am starting the demo process.
Hey Sully, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. For painting the exterior, I just picked up a stock auto color so that it would be easy to match if I ever had to make touch ups. The trailer was just a fiberglass shell when I bought it, so there wasn't a lot of prep work. The guys at Dynamic RV made a simple spray booth made of poly and wood and sprayed it. Its not like a show car, and it doesn't need to be perfect. Its a fiberglass body, so its not like its going to rust or anything. The black graphics on the trailer are just decals. Get an image off the net you like in a "vector" format, and then take it to a print shop and they can blow it up to any size you want.
Hope that answers your question.
Brad.
BradReimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #48

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney View Post
How do you go about framing the inside?

That is the hardest part of building a beachcomber, and is way above my skill level. The guys at Dynamic RV did it for me and did a fantastic job. You literally have to back-frame it like a house using pressure treated lumber OR cedar if you want to save weight. There is a really good thread somewhere on this site for framing a beachcomber and it has detailed pics on it. One very important component is the ceiling. The lumber for the ceiling has to be framed in an arch that gets slightly taller towards the middle so that the fiberglass it pushed up slightly towards the middle. If you don't do that, the water won't run off and will just sit on top in a pool and eventually find a way to make it into the trailer.
I have quite a few detailed pics of the framing. If you email me directly at "upsdelivery" at "hot" "mail", I can send you some pics.
One other tip, have a detailed floor plan before you start. Like figure out exactly what you want and where and then measure it out exactly to the mm. That's the very first step, and take your time with that, because when you're done, if you haven't thought about it, you'll run into problems or you'll have forgotten something.
FYI, I spoke to Ted at Dynamic RV in Chilliwack last week and he found a 1970s BeachComber B15 and is getting ready to do a full custom set up on it, and given the fact that mine was the first one he did, and he did an excellent job, I'd only imagine that the next one will be even better as it was a HUGE learning curve. That would be a great opportunity for someone as they could give him their input to what they want to have, and he could customize it to suit your needs.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #49

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Beautiful reno. I am curious about the treatment on the band area. I am assuming that it is a vinyl product and am interested in the adhesive that you used. I am going to do something similar but can only find adhesives for indoor use.
Thank you.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #50

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1582 View Post
Hello,
Paint was easy. Get it all prepped and masked off to spray, and then if you don't have access to a spray booth, make one buy putting a basic frame together with 2x4s around the shell and cover it in 6mil poly using staples. Just make sure its big enough so that you have room to walk around and spray the shell. Then you can go to a rental store and rent a paint sprayer (make sure to use a mask and glasses). I would recommend picking out a color that is stock from a vehicle. That way if you ever get a nick or scratch in it, you can easily touch it up. The paint doesn't have to be perfect because its all fiberglass, and you don't have to worry about rust.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #51

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
Beautiful reno. I am curious about the treatment on the band area. I am assuming that it is a vinyl product and am interested in the adhesive that you used. I am going to do something similar but can only find adhesives for indoor use.
Thank you.
I'm assuming you're talking about the banding between the top and lower half of the shell? The guys at Dynamic RV fiber-glassed together at first, but then realized that it was designed as two seperate pieces for a reason, because it started to crack the first time they moved it. I guess it needs that gap, so they cut the fiberglass back into two halves again and then used that aluminum checker plate to hold it together. Not even sure if they used an adhesive to be honest. I know they used black silicone around the windows and doors, but not sure about the band. If you need adhesive, I would use PL400 as its for exterior use and dries super hard. If you have any questions, call Ted at Dynamic RV in Chilliwack. He's super friendly and helpful and I'm sure he can answer any questions you may have along the way.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:15 PM   #52

Name: tim
Trailer: Casita
California
I. LOVE . IT!
bensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:44 AM   #53

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradReimer View Post
Here's a couple photos the day I finished it up and the next day I hauled it away to Alice Lake for the long weekend.
The trailer tows unbelievably nice, and it did everything I wanted it to do.
I guess the only CON I can think of is that fact that it doesn't have a toilet.
I had to make a sacrifice somewhere and the space just wasn't there.
Oh well.. most campsites have toilets, and for those times when there isn't I think we might pick up a little porta potty and an ensuite tent.

I'd love to hear your feedback. I'm new to the fiberglass RV thing, and I'm sure their will be some criticism.

Thanks for looking, and if anyone has any questions, feel free to fire away.

Regards,

Brad.
I love the height of the trailer great for back roads, and climbing mountains. Porta Potti is way better than holding tank anyway as you can dump it into service station toilets if they are outside, most campgrounds won't charge you to dump 4-5 gallons of waste, I Like the look of those bunk beds nice and solid, I guess because it is only 13' and you lose some of it outside which does not leave much inside is the tablebed someone has to crawl over the other person, would there have been room to make to say 39" beds making them twin or slightly smaller in Width? I know your young, my problem is I don't sleep well and I like my space with a light that does not bother my wife and I can get up and make a cup of tea and not bother her. But all the people who worked on this little trailer did a great job Plus I'm glad you got it at a decent price so that you could do all those repairs.
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:45 AM   #54

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
I love the height of the trailer great for back roads, and climbing mountains. Porta Potti is way better than holding tank anyway as you can dump it into service station toilets if they are outside, most campgrounds won't charge you to dump 4-5 gallons of waste, I Like the look of those bunk beds nice and solid, I guess because it is only 13' and you lose some of it outside which does not leave much inside is the tablebed someone has to crawl over the other person, would there have been room to make to say 39" beds making them twin or slightly smaller in Width? I know your young, my problem is I don't sleep well and I like my space with a light that does not bother my wife and I can get up and make a cup of tea and not bother her. But all the people who worked on this little trailer did a great job Plus I'm glad you got it at a decent price so that you could do all those repairs.
stude
:just to add a little something, I think what I would look for now is a 4x4 VW Westy for towing the trailer up and over those Mountains and hurdles you come across.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:56 AM   #55

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
so are those 2 pieces being held together by the band allowing them to float?

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #56

Name: Fawn
Trailer: In the market
SK
Love the Reno. I am in the process of redoing my Beachcomber roof. It looks like you used plywood and 2x4s.. I think? Can you give me any suggestions or tips? Did you use any adhesive? What about the ribs shapes too?
FawnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:00 AM   #57

Name: Teresa
Oregon
Wow! This is awesome! I just bought a Beachcomber and will be renovating - love what you've done. Couple questions
1) What is the material you used for the inside wall? AFter the insulation?
2) How did you attach the floor?
3) Any specs for the frame? I will probably need to redo mine
Any other photos?
Love it!!
Teresa in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:49 AM   #58

Name: Teresa
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FawnR View Post
Love the Reno. I am in the process of redoing my Beachcomber roof. It looks like you used plywood and 2x4s.. I think? Can you give me any suggestions or tips? Did you use any adhesive? What about the ribs shapes too?

Fawn - did you get any info on redoing the Beachcomber roof? I will be tackling my TM15 and roof supports need to be redone.
Teresa in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 10:32 AM   #59

Name: Lisa & Sarah
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
New framing and full insulation on the inside, and body work on the outside.
We rhino lined the undercarriage and I decided to fill in the front window because of the permanent bunk beds.
Hey Brad,

We are trying to fix up our 1978 Beachcomber and we keep referring to your post about what to do.

We have just taken off the shell off the trailer and now I am sanding the outside of the fiberglass as well as trying to clean the inside of any mold residue.

So far I have gutted the entire interior and I am waiting till its warm outside to start the framing.

I am curious to know what they used to prime the outside.

I would like to prime it before I start repairing the cracks with long strain fiberglass bond-o.

We are looking at RV roof paints and such but were unsure about which one to pick.

Have any ideas?
Lisa_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 12:31 PM   #60

Name: Barry
BC
Quote:
So.... about a year ago I decided to buy a camper. The problem is that my old land rover can't pull much, so I needed something lightweight and compact, but it also had to sleep 4 (two adults, two kids). I couldn't find anything I liked on the lots, and the only thing that was worth looking at was a small fiberglass trailer from Escape, built out in Chilliwack. They said there was a 2 year wait list to get one, so I decided to take matters into my own hands.
I bought a little 1974 Beachcomber B-15 that was in VERY poor condition and had been totally gutted by the previous owner and had a cracked and rusted out frame. I picked it up for $800 and went to work.
The first order of business was to build a new frame and the guys and Wildwood Metal Works in Langley built me an amazing frame from aluminum.
These guys were really professional and super to deal with. I paid $2400 for the new frame, and the best part is that they actually built me a custom axle that is adjustable so I can lower or raise it up to suite my needs, and I tell you, that thing is massive compared to the axles you buy off the shelf.
Next I stripped out what was left of the interior and got to work framing out the inside.
The wife's "must have" list was to have solid bunk beds for the kids, a good sized fridge, hot water and a stove. So I made the bunk beds permanent, rather than the fold up original kind that are very flimsy. I put in a new fridge and then plumbed the whole thing with a 5 gallon tank for clean water, and 5 gallon for dirty water. I put the plug-in power and water connection pipes where the old signal lights were (one on each side) and relocated the signals to the frame.
I made the table myself by taking a sheet of plywood and then printing off a vinyl picture and then framing it with maple and covering it in a thick epoxy coat. I think it turned out really nice. I picked up a pedestal table for a boat dining table off ebay for $300 and its really nice and works well. Its aluminum and solid and unclamps and compresses down to 12" and up to 28".
Redid all the upholstery, new flooring, custom cabinetry, put in a large solar panel, power inverter, 19" 12 volt tv, outdoor and indoor speakers, outdoor hot water shower, a Fantastic fan with dual direction, and an A/C system.
I was just able to get it done for the last long weekend, and what a pleasure to use. It did everything I wanted it to do and more.
The guys at Dynamic RV in Chilliwack did most of the work and were absolutely excellent to deal with and put a lot of extra thought into it for me while we were designing it.
Anyways, I am now a proud owner of a fiberglass rv and I couldn't be happier that I went that way.
Hope to see you guys out on the road!
It would be interesting to see a diagram of your floor plan. Trying to decide how to do ours.
Barry James is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachcomber