Recommendations for Ceramic Heaters - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2020, 12:26 PM   #41

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
I have just used a ceramic heater (I have several different brands/models to use in my workshop, studio, garage, etc. as I work on art different times of the year) and had no trouble in my 16'.

I did enjoy adding an electric blanket last year and that was marvelous for the nights that were cool/not that cold and I knew I wasn't going to be in the trailer during the day. Toasty!
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #42

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo John View Post
I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer with over 45 years in the HVAC business. Some comments about the above responses:

However, I don't agree with the suggestion to "Put It On High" and leave it there. Here is why..

I agree that conditions on occasion requires this setting. For example if it is extremely cold and you need all the heat or cooling possible. Sort of like using a ten pound hammer to drive finishing nails. It will work, but not so well.

For both A/C and heating, it is always best to use an output that is just more capable than the load. This alone will give the best comfort as the machine is cycling much less. Less cycling gives more even temperatures.

So, I suggest turning the unit on to high to warm or cool the area, and then using a lower setting for the evening. If the unit can't keep up, then go back to the high setting.

That said, trailer and unit limitations are different for each of us. If my recommendation does not work for you, then see the above responses and spend some more money.
The control knob on almost all ceramic heaters is really a thermostat, and they are typically not very accurate. If they are dual wattage ceramic heaters, say 900w or 1500w, when on that is what their output is. The control knob does NOT raise or lower the heat output. When I posted to put it on high when using a remote control thermostat, I meant turn the heaters thermostat to high so that it will not override the remote control thermostat, which will turn the heater on and off at a set temperature, and do so far more accurately than the “built-in” thermostat. Every time I thought I had found the “sweet spot” and marked the dial, the next time I used the heater it would either come on at a lower or a higher temperature.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:04 PM   #43

Name: Mike
Trailer: in the market
Michigan
Pelonis

Another vote for Pelonis. Especially if you can find one of the brown/metal versions instead of the newer plastic. Both work, but I prefer the old style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I use a Pelonis Ceramic Disk Furnace. The advantage is both the fan and the heater disks "turn down" when the set temperature is reached. Unless it is really cold out, it will slow down to barely audible. It is not off/on but has a built in dimmer. If it cools off, it will slowly increase the fan speed & heat.

A warning - mine is a 1986 model. I've been told that the newer ones are not a good as the older versions.
FIJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #44

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita
South Dakota
Dennis Hanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdolan View Post
I am going to buy a new ceramic heater for our Scamp 19 to use when we have electricity. The biggest problem we have had in the past is that the heater thermostat allows a big variation in trailer temperature. I've read postings on here discussing this and there seemed to be an agreement on what ceramic heater works best but I have lost track of it. What suggestions do you have for us?

Thanks!
I installed a electric 120vac baseboard wall mount thermostat that turns the designated plug in on and off, works like a dream!
borrisrex777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:49 AM   #45

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
This RV heater from Handy works really well for the camper. I bought it to plugin but my plug was a little low in my teardrop so I decided to mount it up a bit higher and use a 3 foot 10amp ( 16 GA) extension cord. I tested the unit and it pulls under 4 amps on high speed then drops to under 1 amp when only the fan is blowing. The controls are easy to use. My camper is only 15X7 and it heats it up very quickly. The heater is very lightweight. The unit pulls airflow from the bottom thus it is designed to plug directly into the wall. Also, the plugin the back rotates in case your outlet is upside down or sideways, the heater could still be positioned vertically.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:24 PM   #46

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
This RV heater from Handy works really well for the camper. I bought it to plugin but my plug was a little low in my teardrop so I decided to mount it up a bit higher and use a 3 foot 10amp ( 16 GA) extension cord. I tested the unit and it pulls under 4 amps on high speed then drops to under 1 amp when only the fan is blowing. The controls are easy to use. My camper is only 15X7 and it heats it up very quickly. The heater is very lightweight. The unit pulls airflow from the bottom thus it is designed to plug directly into the wall. Also, the plug in the back rotates in case your outlet is upside down or sideways, the heater could still be positioned vertically.
Another benefit that I tremendously enjoyed about this RV heater is that it doesn’t make much noise. Unlike other RV heaters that clatter when being used, this one is as silent as the night.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco