Undercoating Recommendations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2020, 12:34 AM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Undercoating Recommendations

Hello... I was under my 2001 Scamp19 and saw that some sections are OSB board. I assume that because there is absolutely zero rot, they must have been treated when the trailer was built. But I want to either coat it again or for the first time.

In either case, what does anyone recommend?? That Flex Steel stuff from TV, regular car undercoating, rhino liner, just primer and paint?

thank you
Bfleissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:31 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think that because it is exposed to the air it is allowed to dry and thus not rot.
If you seal it, you can trap moisture.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:37 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Rots from the inside out. Being exposed to the outside allows easy inspection and a chance for it to dry out. Be glad it is exposed.

Anything that traps interior water promotes rot.

Where does the water come from inside? Leaks around windows and vents that enter into the trailer as well as plumbing.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp coats the underside of the OSB floor with fiberglass resin. It seems to be pretty long-lasting, and in my opinion your maintenance time and budget would be better spent on resealing windows, vents, and other potential leaks from above that are the usually culprits in floor rot.

If you do decide to renew the coating, I’d add another layer of the same, making sure everything is thoroughly clean and dry. Messy job, since you’ll be doing it upside down!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfleissner View Post
Hello... I was under my 2001 Scamp19 and saw that some sections are OSB board. I assume that because there is absolutely zero rot, they must have been treated when the trailer was built. But I want to either coat it again or for the first time.

In either case, what does anyone recommend?? That Flex Steel stuff from TV, regular car undercoating, rhino liner, just primer and paint?

thank you

I put a new floor in my old conventional camper and coated it with CRC Undercoat. https://www.crcindustries.com/produc...-oz-05347.html

I had bare exterior grade plywood and steel screws I was covering. It did a nice job. I would do at least the frame. I don't think it is so water proof that it would trap water. I don't know use it on the frame and then decide. It is very messy. Wear old clothes and a good mask, and watch the wind.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
I agree about the frame. POR-15 seems to be the go-to product for that.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
“Since there is absolutely zero rot”. How about, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it !!”
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:57 AM   #8

Name: Brett
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Thanks guys.. You all just saved me some money and some time. I'll just let sleeping dogs lay
Bfleissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:20 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My 2010 Trillium started to show signs of rust on the frame after a few years. I looked at POR 15 and decided that application on my back under the trailer would have been difficult so I settled for Rustoleum rusty metal primer coated with Rustoleum satin black paint. Seven years later its holding up fine. Less prep and it's easily removed with paint thinner. Using POR 15 I would have looked like a Holstein for a long time.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:13 PM   #10

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Scamp coats the underside of the OSB floor with fiberglass resin. It seems to be pretty long-lasting, and in my opinion your maintenance time and budget would be better spent on resealing windows, vents, and other potential leaks from above that are the usually culprits in floor rot.

If you do decide to renew the coating, I’d add another layer of the same, making sure everything is thoroughly clean and dry. Messy job, since you’ll be doing it upside down!

I used just spray rubber undercoating where the resin seems to be bad. So far that seems to be working. Yeah I had some that had rotted out, but has has beem mentioned here that was where there was a leak. In this case the plumbing.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:26 AM   #11

Name: jagbor
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
frame and underbody of 1973 Trillium 1300

Hi! Am just in the process of removing body from frame. Frame was sandblasted/metal prepped and the had POR 15 applied.....looks brand new! Body from about 6" down and all the way around, including underside was sanded with 120 grit/then 320 and then had Raptor Liner applied.....looks awesome.
JuliusB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:51 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusB View Post
Hi! Am just in the process of removing body from frame. Frame was sandblasted/metal prepped and the had POR 15 applied.....looks brand new! Body from about 6" down and all the way around, including underside was sanded with 120 grit/then 320 and then had Raptor Liner applied.....looks awesome.
Trilliums are constructed differently with a full fiberglass “bathtub” underbelly. Just make sure the undercoating doesn’t block the drain holes in the channel that runs around the outer perimeter of the floor. They allow any water that gets inside the cabin to have a way out so it doesn’t rot the plywood core inside the floor.

Tags
eco