Building New Garage...Size? Extras? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-06-2020, 06:12 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: shopping
Leola
Building New Garage...Size? Extras?

Greetings!

I am looking to build a new two bay garage on my property for a new travel trailer (Bigfoot 25RT) plus a new tow vehicle.

I am looking for advice for others who had built a garage for guidance and advice.

I would like to size the garage so it has ideal value whenever I sell my house. Specifically, what size garage do you suggest. I was thinking at least 32 deep and 26 wide with 12 foot walls and ideally a garage door at least 12 feet tall. Since fiberglass trailers tend to be smaller than other travel trailers I want the garage to be able to accommodate travel trailers or boats or other vehicles down the road. The cost to do things correctly from the start is much cheaper than making changes later. What other important things should I consider including in the build to make the garage ideal?

I appreciate all of your thoughts and suggestions.

Sincerely,

Mark Campbell
Mark Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:38 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I built mine 30 ft x 40 ft with a 12 ft H x 18 ft wide door ( 14 ft sidewalls)
If I was to do it again knowing what I know now I would have gone 40 ft x 60 ft
My original plan was to go with the 10ft high overhead door but Donna D convinced me to go to 12 ft — Good advice & glad I listened !

If you ever plan on getting a bigger 5th wheel get the 14 ft high door
It’s far cheaper to build what you need upfront than to go back and redo

Note of caution - A lot of questionable concrete contractors will pour a garage slab directly on grade . NO SAND FILL — NO POLY — NO SOIL COMPACTION— NO METAL MESH —NO REBAR - NO EXPANSION CUTS/ JOINTS using LOW STRENGTH / CHEAP CONCRETE ( 4 1/2 bag instead of 6 Bag ) AND after one good winter you will see the results .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:54 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
That is a nice size. I designed and built a 24x24 foot garage on a monolithic floating pad a few years ago. I went with one 10 wide by 8 foot high door with 9 foot ceilings. That is before I bought my Lil Hauley, which it 8 ft 1 inch. I made some 16 inch diameter Fred Flintstone tires out of some scrap plywood which I put on to move it into the garage.

I would run at least 1 row of concrete blocks around the pad to keep the wood off the ground and make it easy to wash down if you need to. Also, don't forget anchor bolts embedded in the concrete. You will need 2x6 or better wall studs. I would put my studs on 24 inch centers which makes for nicer storage between them than 16 inch centers. I would also insulate the ceiling and provide adequate soffit and peak venting. Don't forget sill seal. If you can design it without trusses you can maximize overhead storage space. Where the overhead doors meet the pad slope the floor during the concrete pour so water runs outside (You will have to slope it in past where the doors sit). Don't forget hurricane ties. Make sure it designed for snow loading in your area.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Mark, it looks like you are on the right track to me. If you are still considering the size, err on the side of bigger. With shops and garages, bigger is better.

I built mine with a 10' door and my Oliver went right in. But the new Black series won't. So I ended up building a carport for it. A 12' door is a very good idea.

Parking your trailer inside is very nice, and if done well, you won't have to winterize it. So, finish out the garage inside with insulation and sheetrock. This makes it a very nice place to be, and much brighter inside. For lighting, the new 4' long LED fixtures that look like fluoresents are wonderful. Available at Costco, and cheap. I put nine of them in mine and it is like daylight in there at night.

Finally, heat it. The best way to do that is with radiant heating in the slab. This is actually very easy. At least add the tubing during the slab work to be ready for it. This is not hard or complicated, it adds amazing comfort, and you will not need to winterize the trailer.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:39 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
As far as resale, forget it. The large garage you are building will be great for your intended use. Resale, not so much.

If recouping cost is important, a free standing carport is a better bet. Likely won't get much money out of it come resale time, but it should cost a small fraction.

I looked at building my "dream" garage at my house, we have plenty of room. Cost exceeded what we paid for the home.... So a carport it was.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #6

Smith Valley, Nevada
Resale value is a ridiculous consideration when deciding if you should build a garage/shop, unless you are simply building a spec house, or only plan to be there a short time.

Build it for yourself! Build your home for your use and pleasure! Build it to suit your needs. Why build it for someone you will never meet, while assuming that that mystery person will like everything else about your home, but not like the fantastic garage that you enjoyed for years? Why go to all the trouble and expense trying to satisfy this mystery person that, again, you don't know and will never meet? It makes no sense to deprive yourself of what you want, for that reason. Plus, if you like it, someone else will like it too. If it serves your needs, it will serve others' needs too.

Besides that, there is definitely more to life than money, or we wouldn't even have these delightful little trailers to begin with. Build your garage to suit yourself. Build it plenty big enough.

And by the way, shop/garage buildings around here at least, are a tremendous asset to any property. They are useful for so much more than simply storing a trailer. It's one of the first additions many do when they buy a place in this area.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:35 AM   #7

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Mark,

Wishing you the best. Exciting, a new garage for the BF25TB and new tug!!!

Over the past year, we downsized, moved into a smaller house that my mom had been renting from us, remodeled it, and built a garage for the Casita and tow vehicle. LOVE it. My lot was too small and the budget too small for my dream 36X30 3 port garage with a center 12 ft door, but I am plenty happy with our 24X25 2 port garage with two 10X10 doors. Great for the Casita. LOL, wondering if I could squeeze an Oliver LEII or the new Escape 23 inside it. But, 3 years til retirement, so plenty of time to figure that out.

Have fun!!! Build as big as you can afford and have space for! LOL.

Take care,

Dean
Attached Thumbnails
65DB37EB-166E-401A-A776-7211F3B2FE8C.jpg  
Old 09-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #8

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Always remember the first rule of shop/garage building:

Build your new shop/garage TWICE AS BIG as you think you will need and maybe just maybe that new shop/garage will be large enough for what you really do need!

Here's my shop on 2 different occasions.

2400 square feet. I also have a 9 car garages in the house and I still need more garage space.
Attached Thumbnails
Nashville Flood 2.jpg   rsz_p1020345.jpg  

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #9

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
The message board below discusses more issues than I ever imagined about the construction of garages. Their intent centers on garages as both working shops and storing vehicles and ranges wider than that.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...isplay.php?f=3
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:25 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Always remember the first rule of shop/garage building:

Build your new shop/garage TWICE AS BIG as you think you will need and maybe just maybe that new shop/garage will be large enough for what you really do need!

Here's my shop on 2 different occasions.

2400 square feet. I also have a 9 car garages in the house and I still need more garage space.
Where we you and your good advice when I was building
You are 100% right , I built 30ft x 40ft and should have built 40ft X 60ft
As far as worrying about resale value at my age it doesn’t matter . My kids can worry about it after I’ve gone
It has always amazed me when someone in their late 70’s buys a new travel trailer with as few / many options as possible ( Think NO A/C ) and there biggest concern is resale value . My biggest concern is will I be physically and mentally able to go camping in the style I want & enjoy .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #11

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

As far as worrying about resale value at my age it doesn’t matter . My kids can worry about it after I’ve gone
It has always amazed me when someone in their late 70’s buys a new travel trailer with as few / many options as possible ( Think NO A/C ) and there biggest concern is resale value . My biggest concern is will I be physically and mentally able to go camping in the style I want & enjoy .
Well said.

I buy things because I plan to use them, not because I'm already planning how to sell them.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:37 PM   #12

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
All good advice. Re read #2 and #8. I built a garage for my Casita. Then I bought a BF 25RQ. So I had to add to the original garage but still did not add enough.

So at least 40' long and 30' wide. Use metal not wood, darn carpenter bees drop saw dust everywhere and they never stop boring. I don't like to spray but may do so. I also added electrics when I expanded. Inside double duplex 20 amp on each side, I should have had at least 2 on each side (for a total of 8 outlets). I also installed one 30 amp and one 50 amp both on one side. I should have installed at least a 30 amp on each side, indoors. One quad 20 amp outside. The garage has its own circuit breaker panel. Added Led overhead lights. Flood lights outside. Don't skimp on your concrete floor, as already mentioned.

One more thing, insulate, you won't regret it. I did not.

I have doors on both ends, so I can pull in either way. I live in the middle of 10 acres so I have plenty of room.

My garage is 11' high with doors 11" high. Kick myself for that, I should have had it at least 13' or higher to accommodate a 5th or a class A Diesel.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #13

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
36 X 60

If all goes as planned this will be up by mid to late October for a shop and my 25RT.
Attached Thumbnails
Annotation 2020-09-06 180122.jpg  
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:06 PM   #14

Smith Valley, Nevada
Tom, Very nice.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #15

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
I completed a new garage build in June with a front carport Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5920.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	137304
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I looked at building my "dream" garage at my house, we have plenty of room. Cost exceeded what we paid for the home.... So a carport it was.
Bill, you should have planned it so that you'd live in the garage while the house was being built. Priorities!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Looking
Florida
Howdy Mark,

I sold my 25RQ since I last saw you. It now lives in Colorado. My Black Series should be available this winter. Your advice was helpful, thanks. Did you take delivery of your Bigfoot yet?

I built three RV garages before I got one that I really like. It has 16’ walls and measures 42x56. I put two 14’ high doors in the 42’ front wall that allow me to easily back my trailer and truck in together as well as other vehicles, tractor, etc. One door is 16’ and the other is 14’ wide. I recommend 16’ walls because that will allow you to build a second floor in part of the garage if you wish. This also adds flexibility to changing your 25RT to a taller RV if you decide to do this in the future. Build it to accommodate different RV’s, boats, etc. I concur with the others who suggested 2x6 walls on 16” centers with full wall and ceiling insulation. With this insulation you should be able to avoid winterizing your Bigfoot. Rather than drywall I suggest osb or cdx walls and ceiling and include a 100watt electric sub panel. Include both 30 and 50 amp receptacles. Also, if possible plan for a black tank dump.

You are welcome to see mine if you wish.

Stay well,

Mike
The Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:50 PM   #18

Smith Valley, Nevada
I bought a 60 X 60 steel building. Deleted the roof and the siding. Then built it out as an 1800 sq ft home, an 1,100 sq ft garage, and a 700 sq ft covered porch. It has an 8" thick radiant heat slab, so winterizing my Oliver was not needed. Then, when I could not get the Black Series in, I added a 27' X 24' carport. Whew! Still need more room, as my tractor and truck still live outside. 😄
Attached Thumbnails
1-3.jpg  
Old 09-06-2020, 10:21 PM   #19

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Campbell View Post
Greetings!

I am looking to build a new two bay garage on my property for a new travel trailer (Bigfoot 25RT) plus a new tow vehicle.

I am looking for advice for others who had built a garage for guidance and advice.

I would like to size the garage so it has ideal value whenever I sell my house. Specifically, what size garage do you suggest. I was thinking at least 32 deep and 26 wide with 12 foot walls and ideally a garage door at least 12 feet tall. Since fiberglass trailers tend to be smaller than other travel trailers I want the garage to be able to accommodate travel trailers or boats or other vehicles down the road. The cost to do things correctly from the start is much cheaper than making changes later. What other important things should I consider including in the build to make the garage ideal?

Sincerely,

Mark Campbell
If you want 12 ft doors then your sidewalls need to be at least 14 ft so the doors can go up. 26 ft wide would be sufficient for 2 vehicles. You won't have room to have tool boxes or anything like that on the sides very much. 32 deep would work for your length RV and for any other trailer except a big one. We have 12 ft doors and they are just right for our RV and Casita. Our garage is 30 wide and we have plenty of room in the center for stuff. Our garage is 60 ft long but we house our Casita, a hearse and our S10 pickup on one side but it is tight. On the other side we have our 23 ft motorhome and Tahoe with plenty of room left. So your plans sound right except the sidewalls. Most garages don't need to be as long as ours. Our garage is all steel and we like that but it is not insulated.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:28 PM   #20

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Campbell View Post
Greetings!

Sincerely,

Mark Campbell
Other things to consider would be a 30 amp outlet. No windows as they can be a pain plus source of break-ins. Depending on your money source if it is endless then heated is nice, water available, a way to dump your tanks so sewer pipe, etc. The inclusions can be endless.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot