Recommendations for a portable water pump? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2018, 03:36 PM   #1

Name: Consuelo
Trailer: Researching
Tennessee
Recommendations for a portable water pump?

I've searched a few of the forums but haven't found anything related...

We often dry camp for 1 or more weeks in national parks, etc. where there are no bath houses. The FB camper I'm thinking about buying (Escape B17') has a 20-gallon water tank which would last us around 3 days... less if we shower (bird bath) every couple days. I have a 27-gallon gray water tote for transferring to the dump station and I'm thinking about getting a portable water pump to transfer water from a container into the camper's fresh water tank every couple days. Is anyone doing something similar? What pump are your using?

I found a pump on Amazon that looks like it would work, except it's supposed to be primed with vegetable oil which I don't want that in my fresh water tank. Thoughts?
Old 01-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I use the same pump as in my trailer (Escape 19') to transfer water from a container into the fresh water holding tank. That way I have a spare pump if the main pump gives troubles but I am also putting my spare pump to use if needed. I have used a common 12V electrical plug to connect the internal pump and installed the same connector on the spare pump and also made up a cigarette lighter plug extension to plug it into a 12V outlet. That way it is very easy to exchange pumps if needed.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #3

Tennessee
Ian,

What an excellent idea! I will probably do the same. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I don't understand. Let's say you have a 5 gallon bucket of fresh water. You stick a hose in it. Where does the other end of the hose go to put that water into your on board water tank? Am I being dense?

Wait, I got it. You use the spare pump to pump the water from the 5 gallon bucket to the on board tank.

I thought you meant you use the onboard pump to pump the water, duh...
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:17 PM   #5

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I carry a 25 gallon water tank with built in transfer pump bought at Tractor Supply. Plugs into your 12 volt supply or cig. lighter. a few years ago they were $125. You can just run your water hose from the TS tank directly into your city water hookup or pump it into your camper's fresh water tank. Wouldn't leave home without it!
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #6

Tennessee
25 gal tank with pump. One more thing I have to buy....looking on Amazon now.

Cked TSC. Don't seem to be offering them anymore, more, nor does anyone else on the internet, Found this instead:
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 1.34.53 PM.png  
Old 01-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #7

Texas
Tractor Supply has them. I just checked.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/se...llon%2012-volt
Old 01-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #8

Tennessee
Thanks. I am checking them out
Old 01-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
I carry a 25 gallon water tank with built in transfer pump bought at Tractor Supply. Plugs into your 12 volt supply or cig. lighter. a few years ago they were $125. You can just run your water hose from the TS tank directly into your city water hookup or pump it into your camper's fresh water tank. Wouldn't leave home without it!
I use to use a 15 Gallon Spot Sprayer with a built in 12 Volt pump that I got from Harbor Freight. I removed the spray wand for easier water transfer. I do not know if it is "food Safe" but I used it for several years and it never made me ill. I now have a large water tank (40+ gal) I keep in the back of my truck and a 12 RV water pump I carry to transfer water to my Scamp. Potable water is the number one thing that limits how long someone can boon-dock.
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #10

Tennessee
When I first read this, I thought a 25-gallon tank with a transfer pump is a great idea... and then (my) reality set in.

25 gals of water weighs 208.5 lbs PLUS the weight of the tank and transfer pump. I guess if your tug is a truck, that might work out ok. But I will have a mid-size SUV, and I'm a 58 yr-old 5'1" gal who is plenty scrappy but not a body builder.

Methinks I'm going to continue with the idea of using a extra dc water pump (thanks Ian) with a 5- or 7- gal water jug. I could mount the pump on a large nylon cutting board, along with an On-Off switch to the 12VDC plug. Then I could carry the pump around and stand on the end of the board to steady it when I turn the pump on.

My friend asked, "why not just a simple hand-pump siphon?" This is a good idea also, but requires raising the 5- or 7-gallon water jug above the tank fill. Hmmm... more thinkin' needs to be done.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You don't have to lift the container when using a hand pump. Might get tired after pumping five gallons, but this Camco pump moves quite a lot of liquid ( antifreeze in this pic ).
Attached Thumbnails
Hand pump.jpg  
Old 01-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #12

Tennessee
I like Thom's 15 gallon spot sprayer. At least it can be used for both spraying pesticides and pumping fresh water into the Casita. Get much more utility out of the sprayer that way.

...just kidding of course....
Old 01-21-2018, 06:35 PM   #13

Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
or the Bucket Sucker!!!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ker-81880.html
Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:41 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
yup!!!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
smaller than a fist and light weight, cost way less than $20...
Run it with a battery drill....
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
best stuff and ideas

Floyd

you are the best love you ideas and stuff

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #17

Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
I love that drill pump!!!!
Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #18

Texas
CHeath- The first set up I saw years ago was a single lady camping and she had bought a 12 volt water pump used in a camper and mounted it to a board and it was very portable. Would not have to be a large volume pump. Seems like you can find them for under $50.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:37 AM   #19
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
We use single gallon jugs and a funnel to add water to our tank. We carry a plastic milk crate that holds four jugs; not too heavy to transport (can always move them one at a time if needed) and we might also have another gallon or two besides. The trick is to get a few gallons of water every day or so, instead of waiting 'til the tank is low. YMMV.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:52 AM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If you ever need a funnel, just take an empty 2 liter soda bottle and cut it in half...viola

Tags
eco