Foldable Bike Recommendations - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #21

Name: Larry
Trailer: Toyota Dolphin
Montana
I've owned a Bike Friday since 1994, using it for touring in 26 countries to date. Here's my quick take:
* Bike Friday (made in Eugene, OR) is designed as a travel system. Pack it in it's airline-legal case and fly anywhere, cover the case to a trailer and go anywhere.
* Birdy & Bike Friday, are excellent for long miles. Both have compact folds for storage inside your RV, plane, car trunk, or boat.
* Dahon and Tern: Many models in many comfort and quality levels. Made in Taiwan and more affordable.
* "Shopper bikes: Usually heavy, 1- to 7-speeds, usually hinge in the center to fold. Heavy and more awkward to transport or load.
* Good advice to food for used ones on Craig's List or eBay.
* Make sure you get one with sufficient tire clearance to handle a 1.5 or larger tire. Better for rough roads and streets.
* Insist on gears, no matter what.
* If limited to your RV, consider a bike rack and you can use any non--folding bike. However, it's exposed to the weather and theft.
* Regarding internal multi-speed rear hug gear systems, they keep out the elements but changing a flat is much more difficult.
* Get fenders, which can be added. THat's a big deal when riding in your normal clothes to shop whether it's raining or muddy.
lnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
hah, which is, more or less, what I built up myself ok, that looks like carbon fiber, adn a 2x10, while mine is aluminumb, and 3x8, and disks instead of my cheap vbrakes. my straight bars are quite carefully tuned to my taste, stem length and height, and bar width. I do dig the Ergon GP3 bar ends that give me 2/3rds of drop bar riding positions
Its 2X11 ... Shimano 105.
Today I am riding an original Bridgestone RB1 with my custom bars.
I use toe clips. It is 2X7. It was an amazing gift from a friend and fellow Scamp owner!

Some say the RB1 is the best steel bike ever made, I know it matches my Trek 400. I also ride a Trek 1400. It is 105 equipped as well.

Best rim brakes ever, but the bike is aluminum.

I will probably never buy another bike with three chain rings
Actually I should never buy another bike... at least without culling the herd a little! but that FX Sport 6 is a temptation and a lot of bike for under two grand.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You can buy the 6speed from Camping World today for $149.
The single speed , if you can find it, is even cheaper.
The last time I saw one it was $125.
But not the brand that you said was a little over $100 as far as I can see. The $149 one at Camping world is "Direcsource." I was looking for the brand that you recommended since you said you own one and like it, and at the price you stated for it.

Quote:
For a pit bike.. Get a Dahon single speed with a foot brake.
The pluses are...
1] Low maintenance these are generally the most neglected bikes on the planet.

2] Simplicity, these bikes get folded and tossed around and the simple ones have no hand brakes or shifters to break.

3] Convenience, easier to fold and unfold than the more complex versions.

4] Cheap, generally not much over $100.

If you just want an easy to ride bike for short rides around the campground mostly on pavement and seldom ride fast or far, then this is the one.
If you can't find a one speed the 6Speed will work.

I have one languishing in my attic which will likely stay there until a time when I am no longer really a bicyclist, It rides a lot like a typical cruiser bike, and is geared for about that speed and effort.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #24
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Zizzo

I have a Zizzo folding bike, 8 speed with foldable pedals.
I had an older bike that I lOVED, had it for 20 years, refused to get rid of it because it was comfortable and was easy to ride. I got it for free in a junk pile.
Then someone broke into my trailer and stole it.
I replaced it with the Zizzo and I can say I like the Zizzo better than my old bike.
Never thought I would.
The Zizzo is easier to ride, still has the gears needed for hills, and it folds!
The old bike was always an inconvenience to haul around. If it is inside the trailer I had to take it out and chain it up somewhere, or if I put it in the back of the pickup I had to take off the front tire and it took up so much room.
The Zizzo I can put anywhere and takes up very little space
Attached Thumbnails
20190809_155203.jpg  
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
But not the brand that you said was a little over $100 as far as I can see. The $149 one at Camping world is "Direcsource." I was looking for the brand that you recommended since you said you own one and like it, and at the price you stated for it.
They may not carry DaHon any more, You can bet they are both made by GIANT bikes in China though. The price difference would of course be the 6Speed and hand brakes. If you service it once in a while it should do fine, and properly maintained hand brakes are really better.
I have had mine for some years now and haven't looked for one lately.
Obviously these are not the best on the market, but they work well for what the OP wants to do with it.
And if you wreck it or it gets stolen you'll prefer the price!

I think mine was $125 , but it was a display and missing a pedal so I got it for $99 at Camping World.
Actually ... I'd look for a used one on your local Craigslist!
Old 08-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
MY Bike

Dad bought me MY Bike in 1950. I was the proudest 'biker' in my grade six class with my Schwinn 'baloon-tires'. I could outpace all my buddies, even those with their newest '3-speed' units. Dad imported it from the USA !! It 'folded' when I passed it on to my kid sister; and she had it until dad bought her a Schwinn too ! My 'next' bike was a Honda 50cc, mounted on the front bumper of my '66 Ford pick-up, with a '68 slide-in 'Golden Eagle' camper.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #27

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueIT View Post
We are looking into getting a foldable bike to take with us on trips. Nothing fancy, just something to run up to the campstore with.

Has anyone got any recommendations about make and models? not looking to spend 500 dollars but want something decent.

Thanks,

Scott
Save your money. Having had a number of folding bikes over the years, the only two that are easy to find and worth the dollars are Bike Friday and Brompton. They are well over $500, but they're comfortable enough and easy enough to ride that you WILL actually ride them. Brompton has 349 wheels and has the smallest fold. Bike Friday has 406 wheels (except for the Tikit which are 349s) and has a slightly better ride (IMO.) I sold my last Bike Friday New World Tourist that I absolutely loved a couple of years ago and bought a Brompton (both used) because I needed the smaller fold.

The Chinese-built $150 new bicycle-shaped-objects are heavy, and the loss in energy (even for trips to the campground store) from square-cut gears and "square" cheap bearings and races etc. is enormous. You'll ride them a couple of times and they'll never see the light of day again.

You can often find them for little or nothing on Craigslist because the LAST owner thought they took too much effort to ride. And you will too.

If you bide your time and buy used Bike Fridays or Bromptons, when the time comes to sell the bikes, there will be a ready market and you'll likely get nearly what you paid for them, unlike the cheap folders that end up in the metal recycling heap because no one wants them.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Schwin Loop 20”

We bought 2 of these over a year ago for the same reason. They work great, 20” wheels, sturdy and around $200 each. Rated with bikes much higher priced!
mjtouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #29

Name: David
Trailer: Trailite
Wisconsin
I purchased 3 Z Bike - Foldable about 15 years ago for $69.00 NEW with "blemishes". Here is an expired listing:

https://www.propertyroom.com/l/z-bik...g-bike/9387880

They are 6 speed bikes with a derailleur. 2 in the front, 3 in the back. 16" rims. They fold small, ride well and the 6 speeds are a real plus on a bike with small wheels. We affectionately refer to them as "our clown bikes" because they look goofy. I had a pair of Raleigh foldables from the 70's with 20" wheels and a 3 speed rear hub. They were heavy and large.....even when folded. Sold those and bought the Z Bikes.

David
David Prast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Save your money. Having had a number of folding bikes over the years, the only two that are easy to find and worth the dollars are Bike Friday and Brompton. They are well over $500, but they're comfortable enough and easy enough to ride that you WILL actually ride them. Brompton has 349 wheels and has the smallest fold. Bike Friday has 406 wheels (except for the Tikit which are 349s) and has a slightly better ride (IMO.) I sold my last Bike Friday New World Tourist that I absolutely loved a couple of years ago and bought a Brompton (both used) because I needed the smaller fold.

The Chinese-built $150 new bicycle-shaped-objects are heavy, and the loss in energy (even for trips to the campground store) from square-cut gears and "square" cheap bearings and races etc. is enormous. You'll ride them a couple of times and they'll never see the light of day again.

You can often find them for little or nothing on Craigslist because the LAST owner thought they took too much effort to ride. And you will too.

If you bide your time and buy used Bike Fridays or Bromptons, when the time comes to sell the bikes, there will be a ready market and you'll likely get nearly what you paid for them, unlike the cheap folders that end up in the metal recycling heap because no one wants them.

Hey, I'm looking for a good used Brompton but ...

We're talking about a pit bike here, for limited use around a campground.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Want a budget "nothing fancy" car to commute for work ,
prefer maybe a Ford....

A riot to drive and resale is good.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #31

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Ex-mechanic (bicycle) here.

If you get a used Brompton or small-wheel Dahon with in-hub gearing, you'll be able to ride just about anywhere you want. Single speed with a freewheel if you know you'll never pedal up an incline.

Don't get a foot-brake bike, they're not safe for stopping quickly.
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #32

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Hey, I'm looking for a good used Brompton but ...

We're talking about a pit bike here, for limited use around a campground.
I got my '15 Brompton H6L for $700 in '17. It's even got the custom paint job on it. It goes with me pretty much everywhere, campgrounds, and as a parts-and-grocery-getter when I need it. I ride it around the neighborhood on errands when I'm home as well. I have other bikes for long-haul riding and touring, but that's a whole 'nother issue. It's a joy to ride and nearly maintenance-free.

As long as I keep it up mechanically, it'll pretty much always be worth at least $700 when I go to sell it. So I'll have however many years' use out of it PLUS the mileage... basically for free. I did the same with my Bike Friday NWT. I miss that bike... but it just didn't fold small enough for the space I needed it to go into.

So... while I'll have $700 tied up in the bike for however long I choose to ride it, in the long term, it'll cost me nothing to own but maintenance. Your "cheap" bikes will cost you the total amount you pay for them... and likely never ride them because they're heavy, clunky, and just hard to ride. Not to mention that if you break something, the bike's totalled. Replacing anything could well outstrip the cost of buying another "cheap" bike.

I hear you, but buying a "cheap" bike is false economy, especially if you don't ride them because they're clunky and heavy.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
I got my '15 Brompton H6L for $700 in '17. It's even got the custom paint job on it. It goes with me pretty much everywhere, campgrounds, and as a parts-and-grocery-getter when I need it. I ride it around the neighborhood on errands when I'm home as well. I have other bikes for long-haul riding and touring, but that's a whole 'nother issue. It's a joy to ride and nearly maintenance-free.

As long as I keep it up mechanically, it'll pretty much always be worth at least $700 when I go to sell it. So I'll have however many years' use out of it PLUS the mileage... basically for free. I did the same with my Bike Friday NWT. I miss that bike... but it just didn't fold small enough for the space I needed it to go into.

So... while I'll have $700 tied up in the bike for however long I choose to ride it, in the long term, it'll cost me nothing to own but maintenance. Your "cheap" bikes will cost you the total amount you pay for them... and likely never ride them because they're heavy, clunky, and just hard to ride. Not to mention that if you break something, the bike's totalled. Replacing anything could well outstrip the cost of buying another "cheap" bike.

I hear you, but buying a "cheap" bike is false economy, especially if you don't ride them because they're clunky and heavy.
Like a stick built trailer! I get it. That's why I have a Scamp and 25-30 year old Treks.

I won't ride a WalMart bike either, but it is just right for some folks.

So... do you want to sell the Brompton?
Old 08-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #34

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
if all you are doing is riding around the campsite why would you need a high quality folding bike? It is not as if it will get a lot of wear and tear as a daily commuter.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #35

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
if all you are doing is riding around the campsite why would you need a high quality folding bike?
I'd agree with you if I didn't have the experience of "hey, as long as we're doing this, let's go _____!"

For around a flat campsite, any small-wheel folder that gets decent marks for handling is a go.

I would still recommend freewheel and handbrakes.

Here's a link to a nice one: https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d...933673738.html

Tiny and light!
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:35 PM   #36

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Save your money. Having had a number of folding bikes over the years, the only two that are easy to find and worth the dollars are Bike Friday and Brompton.
Hi Roger,

That seems a pretty narrow slice considering all of the many vintage and new options that exist. The viable options go far beyond my ability to catalog here and now. However, nothing you or I would suggest even remotely relates to the OP's price point unless they steal a deal.

Have you owned a Giant Expressway or two? We own a pair and I find them more than acceptable for pavement and finely-graded gravel. There's also a fellow in New Zealand who has a good website that includes extensive notes on his experience with a pair.

Bromptons entail purchasing from a first-world manufacturer at corresponding prices, particularly as regards the (many) proprietary parts. The steel frames and the 16" wheels with an efficient fold commend themselves to urban settings and particularly "the Tube", perhaps less so to other circumstances.

Bike Friday entails a first-world build, and components which are basically universal.

Personally, I'd like to find something that will accommodate 1.5" tires. The Giants won't, so I'm looking. Maybe someday I'll feel flush and talk with my neighbors in Oregon at Bike Friday. Until then, I am trying to "earn" my next bike by riding the one that I have.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:00 PM   #37

Name: Bill & Pam
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 17.5
Washington
Civilguy and Roger,

Brompton bikes are better than most people give them credit for. I almost bought one the last time I was in England, and a guy I worked with did buy one. He just folded it up and took it as a carry-on for the flight home.
I used to ride the Seattle to Portland bike ride, about 206 miles. I was riding a Rodriguez, and one year, about 30 miles from the end, I encountered a group that called themselves the "Brompton Mafia". There were 6 or 8 riders, all riding Bromptons, and they were doing fine. Apparently it is good as a distance bicycle, too!
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:16 AM   #38

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Here is a pic of a fold-able bike built for two. These campers camped near us and he built this bike from two bikes that is picked up cheap. He did an excellent job on the bike as well as the cover unit that he built on the front of the trailer for the Honda generator and fuel storage. Sorry the pic was not taken closer up where you could see it better, but it folded right near the heck on the frame.

trainman
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3472.jpg  
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #39

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
My only experience with folding bikes was a Montague, and I don’t recommend it. Folded, it was still pretty big (they’re a full-size bike), and it was not comfortable to ride. Really cool looking though...That’s very limited experience but it’s taught me that for the space any bike takes up, its worth it to me to just carry a normal bike.

I wanted a town bike but also something I could ride on forest service roads, and got sucked in to learning about gravel bikes. Almost bought one but realized it really wasn’t what I started out looking for, and was more money than I should spend.

I ended up with a Raleigh Redux 2. Single front crank, 9 speeds in the back, hydraulic disc brakes and only $500 with a pro deal. I’ve been loving it. Fits fine in my camper. I almost bought a Raleigh Willard, but it's just more than I need right now. I like the fat street tires on the Redux.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Redux.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	131023
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
if all you are doing is riding around the campsite why would you need a high quality folding bike? It is not as if it will get a lot of wear and tear as a daily commuter.
Excellent point

Tags
eco