My new Amerigo F16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

Name: Pam
Trailer: Amerigo F16
Wisconsin
My new Amerigo F16

Hi all,

Here are some pics of the Amerigo F16 I am picking up this weekend. I don't know what year it is. It has a new insulated floor installed, was going to be a fishing hut. It is gutted so should be in the realm of what my tow van can handle (2000lbs). I've towed 1400 lbs dry weight trailer with a loaded van in past. The Amerigo has brakes but they are not wired up. All wiring is stripped, it does come with attachable brake/tail lights. The tongue needs a new jack, and the beat goes on.

I need a very simple setup in my future trailer that can accomodate me and my dogs when we go to field trials or a weekend camping trip.

This trailer is in in Minnesota south of Minneapolis. Does anyone recognize this little beastie? Any history would be appreciated.
Thanks, Pam
Attached Thumbnails
00w0w_ftf0AkwR9fL_600x450.jpg   00A0A_lezNNmAt8wD_600x450.jpg  

00R0R_3qRcx7vThUW_600x450.jpg   00Z0Z_6zsQY7UTBVU_600x450.jpg  

Pam in MKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Wow Pam. I hope you are a handy kind of person. That looks like work.

Maybe you should look at the floor plan of some intact Amerigo's. The furniture in these trailers is usually structural. The closet and other furniture help to hold up the roof. This is especially true when there is a heavy snow load.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hey... Is that Eddie Fowlers old Trailer????

Never heard of him.... LOL

BUT There is a nice Amerigo FG-16 in ID currently for sale on <<<fiberglass-RV-4sale.com>>> that you might want to look at the pics of as it is very original appearing.

And I believe that the Sale Literature is in the documents center.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Wow Pam. I hope you are a handy kind of person. That looks like work.

Maybe you should look at the floor plan of some intact Amerigo's. The furniture in these trailers is usually structural. The closet and other furniture help to hold up the roof. This is especially true when there is a heavy snow load.
Hi David,
Yes, I was wondering about that, the structural consequences of gutting it. Have been looking at pics of the two Amerigo floorplans to determine what support features will need to go into my new interior. I don't intend to camp in, or store, the beastie out in a heavy snow so that shouldn't be an issue. Having it sag and pop whatever interior wall coverings I put in is what I am most concerned about. Thanks, Pam
Old 05-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hey... Is that Eddie Fowlers old Trailer????

Never heard of him.... LOL

BUT There is a nice Amerigo FG-16 in ID currently for sale on <<<fiberglass-RV-4sale.com>>> that you might want to look at the pics of as it is very original appearing.

And I believe that the Sale Literature is in the documents center.
Hey Bob, I saw the ad for that one in ID and was drooling over it but didn't want to drive that far. I may regret that decision! It looks nice. I am copying all sorts of pics from this site into my Amerigo reno idea folder. What wondrous things these computer machines are for doing research, beats a card catalog. Thanks for the reminder to grab those pics while the ad is still posted. Pam
Old 05-21-2015, 05:28 PM   #6

Listed weight in the sales literature is 1,710 lbs. + about another 150 lbs for appliances. There is a good cutaway of the roof section that clearly shows where the wall supports are located, but it doesn't look to exact scale to make the inside space look bigger.

I will be in nearby Nampa, ID early next month and, if it's still there it will be mine.....

Old 05-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Kinda big compared to the Compact II. But it looks great. The price is sure right. Good luck Bob.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Bob is right, the factory roof cutaway drawings make them look much more spacious than they actually are. Truth in advertising, right? Lol!

I'll be picking my Amerigo up in a few months from storage & begin work to get it back into shape. If I can be of help with dimensions or measurements for the rear gaucho floor plan let me know.

Best of luck with your project!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20141221_112336_784.jpg   IMG_20141221_131018_925.jpg  

IMG_20141221_112358_630.jpg  
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #9

Collecting the set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Kinda big compared to the Compact II. But it looks great. The price is sure right. Good luck Bob.
I am thinking about collecting the entire set, one each of every molded fiberglass RV built in 1973.... LOL

Old 05-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #10

Name: Steve
North Carolina
......and since you're in Milwaukee you may want to check out this one on CL in Saukville: https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/rvs/5033239406.html

It was for sale last winter when I was looking to buy & would have gone for it but the one I ended up getting was a few hundred miles closer! Seems reasonably priced.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:16 PM   #11

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Hi Steve
do you have the history on Amerigo trailers ?
im looking for one in indiana
i think they are cute like one with a shower and toilet
i would like to see your pic
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #12

Amerigo dates waaaay back in RV Hx building slide-in campers and was acquired by early RV pioneer Steward Gardner in the early 70's for the molded fiberglass technology they possessed which was used to start the Sunrader line of slide-in campers (later motorhomes) in 1972

Amerigo stayed separate (as were many of Gardner's companies) and they built a wide variety of RV's with some unique features such as a pop-out bed (Called "Snap n' Nap") in the end walls. The FG-16 first appeared in late 1970 and production continued on that model until early 1975. Gardner partnered with Kampgrounds of America somewhere alone about 1973 and the company making the FG16 was then called Amerigo Inc., Gardner Inc, a KOA Company.

Although both Bristol, IN & Orange, CA were listed as company locations, all of the FG16's were apparently built in IN.

Gardner is listed in the "RV Hall of Fame" in Elkhart, IN
-------------------------------------------------------------------
At least in the 1973 sales literature there is no mention of an optional shower or bathroom, only an optional porta-potty and a "Stand up closet-dressing area" is mentioned.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #13

Name: Linh
Trailer: UHAUL
California
Super cool! Looks like a mini house boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #14

Indiana
Thumbs up are you going to use the bunk beds poles ?

please up the pics i'm looking
Old 06-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #15

Name: Stuart
Minnesota
Registry
Nearby Amerigo owner.

Hi Pam! I Live out by Afton. I bought my FG-16 last year up in McGregor. Mine was not gutted when I bought it, but it is now! You are lucky to find one with the Bunk bed set up, mine does not have that. I am currently prepping my shell for paint...You have a LOT of work ahead of you! I do a bit of work on mine every day after work, otherwise I would never get it done. I am hoping to have it ready for hunting this fall. Best of luck!
Mr.Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #16

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Stu View Post
Hi Pam! I Live out by Afton. I bought my FG-16 last year up in McGregor. Mine was not gutted when I bought it, but it is now! You are lucky to find one with the Bunk bed set up, mine does not have that. I am currently prepping my shell for paint...You have a LOT of work ahead of you! I do a bit of work on mine every day after work, otherwise I would never get it done. I am hoping to have it ready for hunting this fall. Best of luck!
Hi,
I am getting some help with my trailer's rehab. I thought having a bunk would be a nice option until I saw it in person. It is really difficult to move up and down. I am planning on having it removed. In the up position it slants back covering the back wall above the window. This is where I intend to put a mini split ac/heat venting unit (compressor on rear bumper extension. I'd rather have that area free of obstruction. Possibly the bunk could be serviced to work better but I really don't need the bunk except for resale value. Good luck with your project. Pam
Old 06-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #17

Indiana
hows the rebuild going ?
Old 08-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #18

Name: Cooneyfarm
Wisconsin
Amerigo in Oconomowoc

Hi, Pam. Just a note to let you know of another Amerigo in southeastern
Wisconsin. I live in mine full time in the nice weather. I bought the unit in Saukville and have been working on the insides. Added a window air conditioner in the front wall next to the window.
Have you done any work on your Amerigo?
cooneyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #19

Indiana
i would like to see pics
Old 08-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #20

Wisconsin
Progress on Amerigo renno

Hi All,

My progress on the rehab has been stalled by some family obligations and the ministry of finance has also required some austerity measures (!). I have had most of the work done by others related to not being able to fit it into my garage. So far this is what has been done:
1. Inside critter mess was cleared out and inside disinfected. Most of inside has been gutted down to fiberglass.
2. Outside was powerwashed and scrubbed
3. Floor had been replaced but not really a good job (and it was soaked in critter excrement) so most of it has been removed. The floor in front half has yet to be removed-there is a thin fiberglass skin (original? don't think so) over a very rotted wood underlayment.
4. Hubs on axles removed and are being replaced with new standard hubs, getting new tires with standard rims. Unit will have new tires and rims.
5. The axle and trailer frame underneath was found to be in good shape. There is evidence the trailer frame was welded/repaired sometime in the past.

I am debating if I should continue or sell it to someone handier. I have $1500 "invested" in it so far. It will need fiberglass repairs of various access holes, at least 3 new windows, wiring, power configuration, outside paint and (oh yeah) an entire inside rebuild. I didn't realize how HUGE it would be. An interior of 13x7 seemed "smallish" in theory, but in reality - oy! If I can keep the rest of the rebuild around 2K, it would still be less than other comparable FBRV models I've seen that still need some repairs. And I know mine would be clean from mold and rot inside. It wouldn't need to be fancy to start, just the basics.

I will have the hubs and tires with rims for sale for anyone who might be interested. The tires are not that good but could function as a spare, they are 14 in in sizes 205 and 215, probably just good for the rims which (I discovered) are extremely difficult to find. The trailer service rep recommended I ask $85 each for the hubs and $50 each for the rims. This is open to negotiation. The brakes have been removed were not repairable. In any case these are standard and not as rare as the hubs and rims. In Wisconsin brakes are not required for units under 3000 lbs. Do others find the brakes are necessary or more an optional help?

Pam, overwhelmed and in search of a garage!
Attached Thumbnails
outer 1.jpg   outer 2.jpg  

outer 4.jpg   inner 1.jpg  

inner 2.jpg   inner 3.jpg  

rim 1.jpg  

Tags
amerigo