Scamp ice box relacement. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2021, 06:23 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Indiana
Scamp ice box relacement.

Has anyone found a drop in replacement 12v/110v refrigerator to replace the standard Scamp ice box?

I'd sure appreciate information on this mod if you have done it.
FlyboyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:31 PM   #2

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
i replaced my icebox with a dometic 3 way fridge. it aint quite “drop in”. its a fair amount of work. think mine took about 15 hours total to do. i made a sort of instructional video.
https://youtu.be/RMopLs5-neI
Scott Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:11 PM   #3

Name: rj
Trailer: Owner of a 16' fixer Scamp and fixed up 13'
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Corsair View Post
i replaced my icebox with a dometic 3 way fridge. it aint quite “drop in”. its a fair amount of work. think mine took about 15 hours total to do. i made a sort of instructional video.
https://youtu.be/RMopLs5-neI
Heh, now I know who made that helpful video. Here's hoping I don't have to replace mine anytime soon.
funkgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A Danfoss Compressor fridge would be the best and easiest replacement.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:00 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkgun View Post
Heh, now I know who made that helpful video. Here's hoping I don't have to replace mine anytime soon.

haha, it was defiantly not easy, if I had to do it again it would go way faster. Also if I planned on installing one when I started the restoration it would of been waaaay easier. I was pretty much done with the scamp and my parents decided to surprise me with that dometic fridge as a gift. Glad I have it now. It's nice being able to leave it on 12v when towing and having the option od 120v at camp sites and propane when boondocking.

but if you already have one in place it's a pretty easy swap, it's adding the electrical and gas is what is time consuming.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:47 AM   #6

Indiana
I don't want the gas option as I can't bear to cut a hole in my scamp. The frig wit a Danfoss compressor is what I'm searching for and I want one with the correct dimensions to slide in the icebox opening.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:35 AM   #7

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
I've been using an Engel for the past two years. I mostly boondock so it runs off my solar setup. It's so efficient if I'm not careful it will freeze my food. In fact, I never turn it off and it's merrily running away out there at 37 degrees as I write this. I don't understand why they aren't standard since they don't cost much more than the Dometic 3-ways.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:52 AM   #8

Indiana
thanks for the reply. I am leaning toward a top opening cooler/frig. What model Engel did you get, and do you keep it in the Scamp refrigerator space. A picture would be appreciated if it's not to much trouble.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:58 AM   #9

Texas
It's a cabinet style, built in to replace the Dometic 3-way that never did much cooling for the amount of LP it would consume. You can see what they've got at engelcoolers.com
Old 05-30-2021, 09:11 AM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASITA BANANA View Post
I've been using an Engel for the past two years. I mostly boondock so it runs off my solar setup. It's so efficient if I'm not careful it will freeze my food. In fact, I never turn it off and it's merrily running away out there at 37 degrees as I write this. I don't understand why they aren't standard since they don't cost much more than the Dometic 3-ways.

wow, really wish I knew about these when I was looking for a replacement. Looks way better than the dometic. Also having a real compressor is nice. Oh well, it's too late now. Out of all the googling I did all I ever came up with was the dometic, norcold and vintage trailer supply had a kit to convert vintage iceboxs for period correct restorations. So glad there are better options out there.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:54 AM   #11

Name: Iris
Trailer: Scamp
California
I have a 1 cubic foot Smad 110 and 12v refridge. Has gone in easy.
Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:57 AM   #12

Name: Iris
Trailer: Scamp
California
I have a 1 cubic foot Smad 110 and 12v refridge. Has gone in easy. Might be able to I have a 1.4 ft.³ one. I’m working with my solar details. The refrigerator is small but I’m able to put everything that I need in it. Sure beats going out for ice every two days. Right now I haveWood framing the outside holding it in place. It seems to be working, the overtime I might make a pretty frame for it. It’s very quiet. Cant hear it at all.
Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:26 PM   #13

Texas
Engel appears to no longer make mine. Norcold has a couple 12/120v on Amazon.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:45 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Truck Fridge also makes a number of small 12V compressor fridges. You have to measure the space carefully to see what will fit.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper, scamp