Surf Side floor plans - can they be changed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #1

Name: MAUREEN
Trailer: SURF SIDE
Ontario
Surf Side floor plans - can they be changed?

Hi, I posted a welcome message a few months ago and have been catching up on all the great information posted in regards to surf side trailers. Our (new to us) surfside is 1976 with the side kitchen. It will need a fair bit of work and while winter is upon us here in Muskoka, Ontario, my brain is looking at all the possibilities. My question is is: were these trailers built structurally the same, regardless of the layout? I am contemplating moving the side kitchen into the front area but wonder if I will be altering something structural in the side kitchen design. Has anyone done anything similar? Or thought about it?
Maureen WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You need to consider side-to-side balance as well as tongue weight when you start moving significant parts around in any trailer.
Remember, the wheel wells won't be moving.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:03 PM   #3

Name: Lorne
Trailer: Triple E- Surfside
AB
Floor plans can be changed.

Hello
I am from Alberta, i am doing a major renovation on my 2nd Surfside trailer. the first one about 15 years ago i did change the kitchen to the front of the trailer, i kept the fridge and furnace in the same location as the vents were already in place. i removed the rear dinette and the two benches and added a small cocktail chair and a jack knife sofa. The major expense was the new fridge and upholstery. it was set up for two people only. The sofa/bed was on one side and the cocktail chair was on the other, there was a small fold-a-way table mounted on the inside back of the trailer. The sofa/bed was on the side where the kitchen was. The present Surfside i am working on I will keep the kitchen location as is. I will change one dinette bench and replace it with a compact recliner as it is my preference for seating. You do have to consider the balance of the trailer as per previous post.
tabertooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #4

Ontario
Thanks to both for the sound advice. Lorne, do you have any pix of the first trailer you did?
Old 12-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #5

AB
floor plans

HI Maureen
Sorry, I don't have any pictures, divorce happened quickly so didn't have time to record the modifications. I built the countertops myself, i got a cabinet maker to make the doors, it was all done in oak. i think i had the sink drain out the side into a portable water carrier. i had installed a 12 volt pump which worked well. i had to remove the front bunk/sofa, i was not worried about changing the front to back balance as i added more weight to the front. your tongue weight should be at least 10% of the trailer weight. The new trailer i am working on will be all maple wood. i am changing all the window torque operators, replacing cracked windows, new fridge, new converter, new 12v. pump, new water tank, new countertops, new stove top. I am changing the vents for the fridge.

I am adding a microwave and adding some drawers. I am repainting the interior & exterior, change the table top, flooring, the frame is upgraded as some models had frame issues. Also adding chrome wheels. Also importantly i am adding small computer fans on the back of the fridge to add in cooling, which is important for the fridge to work effecientlly. If you have any difficulties, i can give you my opinion, but remember its my opinion only. Take your time and enjoy the journey.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Almost all the molded FG trailers out there count on the interior cabinets to provide structural support. So closets, any vertical pieces are meant for structural support. The roofs on the older trailers tend to be weak. Removing interiors without careful consideration of replacements will weaken the trailer.

Its not unusual to see roof sag or worse where someone removed internal support.

Side kitchens tend to support one side of the center of a trailer's roof, with a closet supporting the other side directly opposite. As it is, some of the vintage trailers tend to have sag at the door.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #7

AB
Structural Integrity

That is a very good point, when i changed the layout on my Surfside, i left the closet and fridge cabinets in place, the two cabinets where on opposite sides of the trailer, knowing that they provide structural support for the roof, i have seen a Surfside where the roof has partially collapsed. If you live in a high snowfall area, i probably would install extra structural support for the roof.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:42 PM   #8

Ontario
Yes, I've been reading on several threads here about the importance of the cabinet structure reinforcing the roof, etc. I would likely leave the fridge/heater where they are and was toying with an idea of having the sink/stove area move over to the front where the seating area is. We have a slight sag on the door and are just starting to think of what we want/need to do... thanks for all the feedback.

Tags
surfside