storing trillium for shelter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #1

Name: Yukoner24
Trailer: Trilliam
Yukon
Smile storing trillium for shelter

Hi all,

I am looking for advice on how to store a 1974 trillium for shelter. I live in Yukon, Canada where we have long snowy winters and don't have a garage.

The trailer has been parked in driveway without any protection for the last 5 years & leaks are starting to surface around the windows. the first year I tarped it and since then been told that tarping the trailer is not ideal, as the trailer needs air flow & tarping it has the possibility of producing moisture?

I've done some research on the possibility of purchase a portable garage for storage, the price ranges are huge, 3 season ones cost anywhere from $5oo upwards. Four season ones are more costly, the current one I am looking at is small and costs $1,600 before shipping & once shipped I have to find someone to put it together.

My thoughts are that a year round portable garage would provide the shelter from natures elements while providing me a dry & warmer place to work on trailer, e.g replacing windows.

I would like to hear what other people use as shelters who live in similar climates when they don't have a garage.

Looking forward to hearing your advice.

Thanks to the folks that have given their advice on steps for resealing windows. I've ordered the butyl tape, picked up pry bars & screws, I am just waiting for the butyl tape to come in & hope the last 3 weeks of rain we've had comes to a stop so I can start fixing "my girl" up.

Happy solstice everyone.
Yukoner24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
We've been tarping our Boler 17 since we purchased it 2 1/2 years ago. Reason is that it came with leaks and haven't yet fixed all of the leaks. Even when all of the leaks have been fixed, will probably still tarp it. I expect that the tarp we bought will last 3 winters, so we'll need to purchase another tarp in 2020.

EDIT: Actually not a tarp, but a fitted, ventilated cover with a soft liner.

Another consideration is snow load. You either need to clear the snow from the roof on a regular basis, or brace the roof from inside, or both. We brace the roof from inside for the reason that the Boler 17 is stored in a remote location.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #3

Michigan
Registry
Another note: Seems that in Yukon, considering the wind and snow load, etc, if considering a canopy or temporary garage, a very sturdy one would be needed.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #4

Name: Yukoner24
Trailer: Trilliam
Yukon
Thanks John for your response, tarping is still an option eh? I might do to that again, as I do believe its better then nothing.
Yukoner24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I am not in your climate but I do have a Carolina Carport for my Escape and my Trillium. These are free standing carports, built in less than a day. I have the vertical roof style. Would need to get the snow off.

Surely there is a Canadian version. I also have one of their garages, which is really just an enclosed carport.

Don’t let leaks continue. The water will eventually find the plywood in the floor and I have yet to have seen someone post a successful repair. The fiberglassed in place cabinets are awesome until you have to do floor repairs. The plywood on the floor is exposed under the kitchen cabinets and the front gaucho.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #6

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner24 View Post
Thanks John for your response, tarping is still an option eh? I might do to that again, as I do believe its better then nothing.
Yukoner24, I should clarify, we DON'T actually use a tarp, we use a fitted cover that is ventilated and has soft liner. It also has a zippered roll-up panel to access to door.

Our Trillium 4500 is stored in our attached garage at home. Very convenient, warm and dry.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:13 PM   #7

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
We are in Winnipeg so I expect you have an idea of the type of winters we get. We have had our surfside under an open sided canopy for the past couple of winters. It is 10'x20' I believe and we picked it up from Canadian Tire for a couple of hundred bucks. The big thing would be how sheltered an area you are in and how often you plan on clearing it off. We are inside the city so the winds are not as bad as if we were out on the bald prairie and the tarp is held on by elastic bungees that stretch with the wind. No sides so wind blows through for the most part. Absolutely have to remember to push up the tarp to allow the snow to slide off with pretty much every snow fall. Found this easy with the open sides. Push up from underneath with a wide push broom. Just creates a drift all the way around which we shoveled an opening into, to get to the trailer. No snow at all on or under the trailer. One of the upper pipes has a bend from us not getting to it fast enough one particularly heavy snowfall so keep that in mind, gets heavy very quickly. I think I can probably straighten it. sometimes had to clean it off a few times if the snow was wet or it snowed a long time. Also look at door opening sizes and how much maneuvering room you have. It was tricky putting the canopy up around the trailer because we did not have the room to build it and back the trailer in.
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #8

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
Also we left took down the tarp last summer but left it up this year as we have taken out the roof vent and side vents and are sanding to paint. So far no rain in the trailer at all and when we come to paint we have some regular 10 and 20 foot tarps we will temporarily hang around the sides with the same kind of bungees courtesy of Princess Auto and tack down with tent pegs for a makeshift paint shelter. We intend to roll and dip for the paint but want to keep dust down to a minimum. I think the price we paid for our carport/canopy was a sale price because I am pretty sure I saw it in the flyer and snagged it then. If you have Canadian Tire in Whitehorse check the flyers. They are always putting those things on sale.
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: Escape 13
British Columbia
Shelter Logic

Been using a Shelter Logic Brown Dome Style cover for the last 5 years. Built a base on both sides and back with 2 up 2X8 treated lumber. The front is tied together with a 1" wide piece of flat bar.
The Flat bar was an upgrade when I found the front had moved over about 2 inches. I then added the Railroad steel. The 2X8s are weighed down with small pieces of Railroad steel. (We get pretty good wind gusts out her in the NorthWest BC.) No problems over the last 4 years.
COMSULT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:51 PM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
See what is in your area that is holding up to the weather.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium