1980's Fiber Stream - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 08:21 AM   #21

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
That's great.

I only retain what I learn about tires for a short time while I'm shopping for tires...

Whatever the typical style trailer tire is, that's what you want. There are long threads on this forum about tires...

But yes, always a good idea to replace them.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #22

Name: Rich
Trailer: Currently Shopping - Fiberstream
Minnesota
1984 Fiber Stream

Still need to figure out brakes and new tires - then we will start with the look inside.
Any must do tips or tricks?

rmcgeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:02 PM   #23

Montana
NICE. Looks great.

I got to sleep in my Bigfoot one night (Walmart parking lot) on my way home. Definitely adds to the magic.

Hmm...must do tips. Go through all the systems. See what works and what doesn't, and learn how it all works.

Fridge is almost guaranteed to be tricky to get lit.

Add some water, run some water in the sink and toilet. Learn how to dump the tanks with clean water in your driveway, so you don't have the pressure of doing it for the first time "on stage" with people watching and waiting.

Find all the systems. The power center, fuses, test everything in the electrical system, run the furnace. Take off a tire as though you were changing a flat.

Not sure how much previous RV experience you have so I'm just throwing everything out there. Work out all the kinks in your driveway, close to the hardware store.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:11 PM   #24

Minnesota
great tips, thanks Zach
Old 08-24-2020, 07:22 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Check the age of the tires, based on the date code printed on the tire. If they are less than 5 or 6 years old, then it isn't a priority to replace them.

Get the wheel bearings checked and lubricated or do it yourself. Also, hand check the temperature of the wheel bearings by touching the wheel hubs (center of the wheel) at every stop or two while towing. If the wheel hub is hot, get it checked or check it yourself. A wheel bearing failure can cause the wheel to immediately fall off. Many people towing campers long distances keep a spare set of wheel bearings in case of bearing failure.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:05 PM   #26

Minnesota
Thanks John.

I checked the hubs temp every stop on our way back from Missouri - 9.5 and they felt just fine. I do want to take off the wheels inspect and repack the bearings.

I also need to dig into the brakes. I wish there was more information out there on the brakes.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #27

Name: Randy & Ranae
Trailer: Fiber Stream
OR - Oregon
Registry
Long Trip Home

Glad to hear the trip went well. First trip is always a little bit of a knuckle biter.

The wheels and tires aren't original. I found 13" wheels and tires cheaper on Amazon that just the cost of tires and mounting locally. Search for Trailer Tire On White Rim 530-12 5.30-12 5.30 x 12 Load C 4 Lug 12 x 4 Wheel
Brand: eCustomRim These are rated far above the load of the trailer.

Let me know if you have specific questions on the brakes. I can help with bearings, and I'm ready to figure out who to use for re-lining and what magnet to use as a retrofit.

I'll bet the soft spot is right inside the door, and probably at the corner near the fridge. Let me know if I'm right.

Very simple trailer to use. Definite to-do list items:
Caulk the lower corners of the door frame inside the frame in the door cavity
Re-caulk around the windows outside as a short term fix, and remove and reinstall with butyl tape as soon as practical. Existing putty gets brittle and leaks
Remove, reinstall through some new sealant, and cap with new sealant all the screws through the outside shell that go into wood. Consider stainless screws the next size up
Re-seal any roof penetrations
Check frame for any cracks in the front
Replace the power distribution center with something like: Progressive Dynamics PD4135KV Inteli-Power 4100 Series Converter. The stock converter will shorten battery life.
When you're ready, the little weep covers on the windows can be 3d printed. Let me know when you're ready. I've got the files and had a friend do it for me.
Find a bubble window or other cover window for the front as was original. Driving down the road with these windows could force rain in through the seals.

Other than doing anything you can to control leaks, the rest is appliance and system related. Run it all and see what works or doesn't. Do some driveway camping.

Hope I didn't scare you. Make it safe first, protect it second, repair it third, improve it last. Use it at every step of the way.

Randy
OR335d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #28

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by OR335d View Post
Make it safe first, protect it second, repair it third, improve it last. Use it at every step of the way.
Randy
This should be pinned up somewhere. I like it.

I’ll add that if you have the time/motivation, skip the caulking on the windows and just remove them and put new butyl tape in. That saves you from having to scrape off all that caulk you just added.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #29

Minnesota
Randy this is great. Thanks. Did not scare me at!

Yes the soft spot on the floor is exactly where you said it was, right inside the door.

So you had no issues using the slightly larger tires?

Look forward to discussing brakes with you as get there!

Tags
fiber stream